Jim Crews - Freshmen

Unfortunately I missed yesterday's game against Yale but I did read the game day thread and the box score. Unless I am wrong, Crawford got 14 minutes while shooting 7 shots (3 of them 3 pointers and taking 3 shots from the FT line) and Reggie got 11 minutes (shooting only 1 shot while going 1 for 2 from the FT line). Yes, MC scored only 4 points and RA scored only 3 points but these minutes are invaluable. To all you redshirt hawks, real game experience is what makes a kid learn and develop. Having a coach tell you that you need to be quicker, stronger, heavier or more mentally focused means little until the reality of a game experience humbles you. In short, our freshmen are getting exposed in games, and this exposure is what is causing them to learn, improve and what has made them already know exactly what to do during the offseason to get ready for next year. Had they redshirted this year, they would not be as far along this year, and more importantly, next year. Enough already about all the mindless talk about redshirting or that XYZ should have redshirted. Jim Crews knows what he is doing, the freshmen are learning, albeit slowly, and we all simply need patience.

As far as lineups go, I am pleased that Jim Crews is still finding time for the freshmen -- they need the time. I do admit that I had hope that the freshmen (or at least one of them) would have contributed more than they have to date. Still, I am pleased with them -- each of them do really have some talent. This year, though, contributions by them is still a bonus in that this is a Senior laden team. And like him or not, JB is going to be in the lineup until someone pushes him out. And while JB's defense is not very good, he does have some size and he can get a few rebounds from the 3 position which does help when DE is playing the 4 against much taller/bigger opponents. This size, as compared to McBroom, is needed if DE keeps playing the 4 with RL playing the 5 from the perimeter. In short, replacing JB at the 3 with McBroom is not really the best approach. Should McBroom get more minutes? of course. But Jim Crews knows that we are not going to be a Tourney team and win conference games (especially on the road) without contributions from JB. Enough already with the anti-JB talk. Frustration and negative comments are fine. But the comments sure seem over the top lately. Reality check: we still need him this year!! And BTW, McBroom played the most yesterday with 31 minutes as compared to only 24 for JB.

Unfortunately I missed yesterday's game against Yale but I did read the game day thread and the box score. Unless I am wrong, Crawford got 14 minutes while shooting 7 shots (3 of them 3 pointers and taking 3 shots from the FT line) and Reggie got 11 minutes (shooting only 1 shot while going 1 for 2 from the FT line). Yes, MC scored only 4 points and RA scored only 3 points but these minutes are invaluable. To all you redshirt hawks, real game experience is what makes a kid learn and develop. Having a coach tell you that you need to be quicker, stronger, heavier or more mentally focused means little until the reality of a game experience humbles you. In short, our freshmen are getting exposed in games, and this exposure is what is causing them to learn, improve and what has made them already know exactly what to do during the offseason to get ready for next year. Had they redshirted this year, they would not be as far along this year, and more importantly, next year. Enough already about all the mindless talk about redshirting or that XYZ should have redshirted. Jim Crews knows what he is doing, the freshmen are learning, albeit slowly, and we all simply need patience.

As far as lineups go, I am pleased that Jim Crews is still finding time for the freshmen -- they need the time. I do admit that I had hope that the freshmen (or at least one of them) would have contributed more than they have to date. Still, I am pleased with them -- each of them do really have some talent. This year, though, contributions by them is still a bonus in that this is a Senior laden team. And like him or not, JB is going to be in the lineup until someone pushes him out. And while JB's defense is not very good, he does have some size and he can get a few rebounds from the 3 position which does help when DE is playing the 4 against much taller/bigger opponents. This size, as compared to McBroom, is needed if DE keeps playing the 4 with RL playing the 5 from the perimeter. In short, replacing JB at the 3 with McBroom is not really the best approach. Should McBroom get more minutes? of course. But Jim Crews knows that we are not going to be a Tourney team and win conference games (especially on the road) without contributions from JB. Enough already with the anti-JB talk. Frustration and negative comments are fine. But the comments sure seem over the top lately. Reality check: we still need him this year!! And BTW, McBroom played the most yesterday with 31 minutes as compared to only 24 for JB.

I am impressed with what I've seen from the freshman so far. They have all contributed in some way or another. I look at next season and can't help but think Agbeko and Glaze will be for the Billikens, what Mason and Oakley were for the Knicks.

As for Jake, I hope he continues to play like he did against Yale, for the remainder of the season. It will only help the team succeed. That being said, he was almost the lowest on the team in scoring (only Manning was lower) and rebounding (only McBroom and Crawford were lower) for the pre-conference schedule this season. If he doesn't produce, his minutes will decline quickly now that conference play is starting, similar to what we saw happen with Cassity.

I am impressed with what I've seen from the freshman so far. They have all contributed in some way or another. I look at next season and can't help but think Agbeko and Glaze will be for the Billikens, what Mason and Oakley were for the Knicks.

As for Jake, I hope he continues to play like he did against Yale, for the remainder of the season. It will only help the team succeed. That being said, he was almost the lowest on the team in scoring (only Manning was lower) and rebounding (only McBroom and Crawford were lower) for the pre-conference schedule this season. If he doesn't produce, his minutes will decline quickly now that conference play is starting, similar to what we saw happen with Cassity.

Yes and I hope so. JB's minutes will decrease only if someone else produces. McBroom is producing but adding a 5'9" guy to a lineup with a 6'4" power forward adds it own problems.

As to Cassity, I had wanted his minutes to be dramatically cut his Junior year but unfortunately RM did not perceive anyone as better. During Cassity's Senior year, though, JJ did step up (JJ's Sophomore year) and Cassity's minutes were cut. And of course, we missed Conklin's minutes last year but not Cassity's when JJ, MM and KM took charge. This year, McBroom is replacing KM's minutes (though KM brought a lot of intangibles as well) but CE's minutes have proven much tougher to replace. Some have questioned Crew's overall offensive plan. To me, it is obvious that he is trying to replace these minutes with a combination of minutes by committee: JB, TL and RA. At the same time, this is a NOT a rebuilding year so therefore Crews needs to also win now and not just let the Freshmen play, make mistakes and learn from it the same way RM did with our current Seniors when they were Frosh and right after the loss of KM and WR. The problem, though, is that each a completely different game: JB is a finesse guard/wing/shooter, TL is a stretch 4 and RA is a traditional/interior 4. All of these combinations affect the game of our team leader (DE). Injury to both TL and RA has slowed the process. And it is this combination of winning now and giving minutes to the Freshmen by Crews with which I am impressed.

This is the first time the freshmen have gotten significant minutes during the important time in a game. It will be good IF Crews continues to give them significant minutes during conference play. That should help our bench strength as the season progresses. However, they will have to show in practice that they are ready for significant minutes.

This is the first time the freshmen have gotten significant minutes during the important time in a game. It will be good IF Crews continues to give them significant minutes during conference play. That should help our bench strength as the season progresses. However, they will have to show in practice that they are ready for significant minutes.

I guess it depends on the word significant. It's been sporadic but Tanner and Reggie have played a bit in important periods during games. Didn't Reggie start a game? Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

I guess it depends on the word significant. It's been sporadic but Tanner and Reggie have played a bit in important periods during games. Didn't Reggie start a game? Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Agbeko has started two games.

Glaze started the first 6, Reggie the next 2, and Barnett the latest 7.