OT: Saint Louis Cardinals new players

GOSLU68

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not enamored with the Peralta signing, but I think it was the best the Cardinals could get for the price. It is also a huge upgrade offensively at that position. Pete Kozma was statistically the worst hitting everyday player in the majors last year, and there is nothing to suggest that he'd do any better if given another year. Descalso is a decent utility infielder, but not an everyday shortstop. On top of that, him being a left-handed hitter creates an even bigger imbalance in the order. For Mozeliak, Kozma and/or Descalso was never going to be an option going into 2014.

The concerns about Peralta's range seem legit, but statistically, he appears to have league-average range. He also has an extremely steady glove. He almost never makes an error. In the past three seasons at short, he's only committed 18 errors. Most everyday shortstops make that amount in one season. The Cardinals are also improving their defense at second and third now, with Carpenter taking over for Freese and Wong becoming the everyday second baseman. Bourjos in center also is a huge upgrade defensively over Jay.

The other options for the Cards appeared to be Tulo, which has been discussed already. His contract is huge and the Rockies would have wanted a king's ransom in a trade. Tulo's also had issues staying healthy the past two seasons. JJ Hardy was another possibility, but he only had one more year on his contract and the Orioles were wanting a high-end young pitcher or two in return, which was a bit high for only getting one guaranteed year out of Hardy. Stephen Drew is the other major free agent shortstop. However, he is demanding a contract at least as high as Peralta's, if not higher, has spent as much time on the DL as playing the last three seasons, and when he is healthy, hasn't been all that impressive. Also, he's left-handed, causing issues with the lineup balance. Defensively, he's the same as Peralta; sure-handed with average range.

As far as the PED use and what it will do to our culture and values and all that sh*t. Well, it isn't going to do anything. This is a franchise that had one of the most notorious PED users ever (Mark McGwire) slugging home runs to sellout crowds in the late 90s and then come back as the hitting coach. We've had one player die due to drunk driving (Josh Hancock) and our manager fall asleep at a green light because he was wasted. We had a player on the team that had to be put on the restricted list and later released due to drug abuse (Scott Spiezio) a season after he was cheered as a playoff hero. We utilized a closer after he had served a 50-game suspension for PED use (Ryan Franklin.) And the list goes on from there. So, I think the franchise and the city will survive having Peralta on the roster.

I am not enamored with the Peralta signing, but I think it was the best the Cardinals could get for the price. It is also a huge upgrade offensively at that position. Pete Kozma was statistically the worst hitting everyday player in the majors last year, and there is nothing to suggest that he'd do any better if given another year. Descalso is a decent utility infielder, but not an everyday shortstop. On top of that, him being a left-handed hitter creates an even bigger imbalance in the order. For Mozeliak, Kozma and/or Descalso was never going to be an option going into 2014.

The concerns about Peralta's range seem legit, but statistically, he appears to have league-average range. He also has an extremely steady glove. He almost never makes an error. In the past three seasons at short, he's only committed 18 errors. Most everyday shortstops make that amount in one season. The Cardinals are also improving their defense at second and third now, with Carpenter taking over for Freese and Wong becoming the everyday second baseman. Bourjos in center also is a huge upgrade defensively over Jay.

The other options for the Cards appeared to be Tulo, which has been discussed already. His contract is huge and the Rockies would have wanted a king's ransom in a trade. Tulo's also had issues staying healthy the past two seasons. JJ Hardy was another possibility, but he only had one more year on his contract and the Orioles were wanting a high-end young pitcher or two in return, which was a bit high for only getting one guaranteed year out of Hardy. Stephen Drew is the other major free agent shortstop. However, he is demanding a contract at least as high as Peralta's, if not higher, has spent as much time on the DL as playing the last three seasons, and when he is healthy, hasn't been all that impressive. Also, he's left-handed, causing issues with the lineup balance. Defensively, he's the same as Peralta; sure-handed with average range.

As far as the PED use and what it will do to our culture and values and all that sh*t. Well, it isn't going to do anything. This is a franchise that had one of the most notorious PED users ever (Mark McGwire) slugging home runs to sellout crowds in the late 90s and then come back as the hitting coach. We've had one player die due to drunk driving (Josh Hancock) and our manager fall asleep at a green light because he was wasted. We had a player on the team that had to be put on the restricted list and later released due to drug abuse (Scott Spiezio) a season after he was cheered as a playoff hero. We utilized a closer after he had served a 50-game suspension for PED use (Ryan Franklin.) And the list goes on from there. So, I think the franchise and the city will survive having Peralta on the roster.

NM

+1 Excellent points. And to add, Dave Duncan was the master of rejuvenating older, failing pitchers but steroids use/PED's were prevalent with both Duncan and LaRussa in Oakland and here in St. Louis. If anything, we local/Cardinal fans probably underestimate the national reputation that Duncan/LaRussa had regarding steroids.

I would think it would be best not to spread rumors or supposedly reliable sources info about someone that you have no evidence that they are drug or alcohol abusers. I am sure many of you who are saying these things have been known to bend an elbow once in awhile. I have thought Freese was going to be traded the last two years so this is not a surprise to be but my interest in trading him was due to his quality of play not unfounded rumors.

when I say reliable source I mean RELIABLE SOURCE

In December 2009, Freese was arrested for driving under the influence in Maryland Heights, Missouri, a suburb of St. Louis.[40] Freese blew a .232, which is nearly three times the state's legal limit of .08. It was the second such arrest for Freese, who was also arrested in November 2002 in Maryland Heights for driving while intoxicated.[41] The 2009 arrest was a violation of Freese's probation, due to a September 2007 arrest for resisting arrest (amongst other charges) in Lake Elsinore, California.[42]

On November 22, 2012, Freese crashed his Range Rover SUV into a tree in Wildwood, Missouri, a suburb of St. Louis.

November 27, 2013 NextYearBill posts on billikens.com that Freese is a drug user. cheeseman refuses to believe it. cheeseman pops in DVD of 2011 world series and pleasures self

In December 2009, Freese was arrested for driving under the influence in Maryland Heights, Missouri, a suburb of St. Louis.[40] Freese blew a .232, which is nearly three times the state's legal limit of .08. It was the second such arrest for Freese, who was also arrested in November 2002 in Maryland Heights for driving while intoxicated.[41] The 2009 arrest was a violation of Freese's probation, due to a September 2007 arrest for resisting arrest (amongst other charges) in Lake Elsinore, California.[42]

On November 22, 2012, Freese crashed his Range Rover SUV into a tree in Wildwood, Missouri, a suburb of St. Louis.

November 27, 2013 NextYearBill posts on billikens.com that Freese is a drug user. cheeseman refuses to believe it. cheeseman pops in DVD of 2011 world series and pleasures self

Look - all the stuff you listed was in the past - yes he had those issues but after the Maryland Heights one he got help and seemed to be OK. The Wildwood incident was clearly just an accident - the police said so and said no drugs or drinking was involved - go back and check it out. All my point was - and am sorry if I upset the church ladies on the board like Next Year Bill - anybody can have a problem but get it taken care of. Once they do that then they are given the benefit of the doubt from my view. Since you cited an erroneous story you make your whole position less effective so I would suggest you do your research before accusing someone of something. I hope you never find yourself in a situation at your young age that you make a mistake because according to you you are simply screwed. Now one more thing - obviously the Angels are not concerned about him and I am sure they talked to Pujols before making the trade.