The area is back!!

i do not think St. Louis Hoops insider is talking about comparing these schools academically with Chaminade or CBC. Schools like the ones he talks about may not be seeking academic excellence, they are seeking to salvage and educate kids which would otherwise have a very hard life indeed. They look to find talent among this pool of kids and to promote and develop this talent as much as can be done with the means at hand. These kids may not be MIT material but they deserve to be recognized for the athletic talent they do have and looked upon for what they may offer to athletic programs at good colleges. These kids are not lacking motivation, although they will need academic support. They may not suit SLU's criteria, but they should be able to fit somewhere and play their way through a college education.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The difference between players 10-13 at any 175+ RPI school and the top 5 players on a strong D3 school is negligible. You could swap them back and forth and no one would know the difference. That is where guys like VTIME come in. They help a guy get recruited, pick up a few bucks ehre and there, and better the life of an inner city kid.

The difference between players 10-13 at any 175+ RPI school and the top 5 players on a strong D3 school is negligible. You could swap them back and forth and no one would know the difference. That is where guys like VTIME come in. They help a guy get recruited, pick up a few bucks ehre and there, and better the life of an inner city kid.

Even with your bottom of the bench D1 comparison to D3 starters disclaimer i disagree. Justin diecker will be one of the metro area senior bigs best this year. He is signed at one of the 10 worst D1 schools for next year. There isnt a D3 school in the country he wouldnt start and star on from day one. D3 is a very unique situation the entire roster is more often at the school for academics. The slu intramural program will have some kids more than capable of playing D3.

Even with your bottom of the bench D1 comparison to D3 starters disclaimer i disagree. Justin diecker will be one of the metro area senior bigs best this year. He is signed at one of the 10 worst D1 schools for next year. There isnt a D3 school in the country he wouldnt start and star on from day one. D3 is a very unique situation the entire roster is more often at the school for academics. The slu intramural program will have some kids more than capable of playing D3.

D2 tends to be filled with guys who couldn't cut it academically at the D1 level. D3 are guys who could walk on at a top d1 program or be scholarship players at the SIUE or SEMOs of the world.

Bigs have the advantage of limited supply. There aren't many guys over 6'7 at the D3 level. I've never seen your guy, but I'll go ahead and assume that he is going to a terrible program because he's tall and not very good at basketball or he's not that tall and okay at basketball.

I'd take the bottom 3 guys from the Soderberg days and get beat by the top 3 at Illinois Wesleyan every day.

And I agree that SLU intramurals have guys capable of playing D3. They are also capable of walking on at SLU. I had a roommate at SLU who was all state in Nebraska, had "offers" from Augustana in IL and DePauw in Indiana. He could have walked on at SLU but was more interested in competitive vodka drinking.

I'm not sure why Coach Tony Irons should be a red flag. He deserves a clean slate. The socio-economic variables of St. Louis City are more of a valid factor than a particular athletics coach when it comes to a student meeting academic standards. The basketball coach is hired to coach basketball, not ensure that a student qualifies academically for NCAA athletic participation. There are many kids (competitive athlete or not) from both public and private schools that do not qualify per the standards of the NCAA Eligibility Clearinghouse. However, you'll only hear about the very talented players, and College Prep HS at Madison has been fortunate to have several talented athletes in its short time open.

The difference between D1 and D2 is primarily about athleticism and talent ceiling. The academic standards are very very similar, in fact some may find it more difficult to qualify for D2 because there is no sliding scale.

On a different note, it appears that SLU is attempting to take an interest in the local talent in the current high school classes. Yes, the staff has inquired about local kids such as Arlando Cook, Brandon Hollins, and Ralph Bellamy. Cook has several mid major offers, but that doesn't mean the SLU staff thinks he is a good fit. There is also the possibility that Cook may not be very interested in Saint Louis. I'm an aau coach that had a pretty decent squad this summer, so I've been fortunate enough to speak back-and-forth with many scouts and college coaches. Many would agree that the the STL Metro Area is looking pretty good right now, as opposed to a few years ago.

Stlsfinest - the sliding scale is actually harder to hit than the qualifications of D2. It is much easier to qualify at D2. You need to complete the standard set of core classes, score an 820, and have a 2.0. The sliding scale for a 2.0 on the D1 side is damn near an 1100 if I remember correctly.

D2 also takes partial qualifiers that can be on scholarships. To be partial you only have to either put up a 2.0 or the SAT/act score. You still get to be on the team, on scholarship, practice, and still play 4 years.