SIUE storylines

RUBillsFan

Lots of storylines going into this game against SIUE.

-return of Kwamain

-tune up for New Mexico

-local game vs SIUE

I'd like to focus on that last one for a minute. I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers, but what are the odds that SIUE has a large contingent of fans at Chaifetz?

Attendance hasn't been great so far this year, I think most of that is due to the lackluster non-conference opponents. SIUE isn't exactly a team a bunch of Bills fans are going to be excited to see. The drive for SIUE fans is obviously very sort. I have no idea how many fans SIUE usually has at their games, but I have to imagine this game is sort of like the superbowl to them. The SLU students are still on winter break. Therefore, there will be no large vocal contingent of SLU fans to drown out the SIUE fans. Also there will likely be no one to stop SIUE fans from invading the student section. All of these factors lead me to believe that their could be a large and very vocal contingent of SIUE fans at Chaifetz (possibly seated in the student section). Although I don't think it will be as bad as the MO State debacle a few years ago.

All of this means there will be a lot of wailing and hand-wringing after the game over attendance, student attendance, crowd noise, the ushers at Chaifetz, etc.

I just hope the Bills open up a big lead early, letting SIUE stay close will exacerbate the problem.

Should be a blow out, who cares about attendance for at this game. It is the next game that everyone should care about for attendance. I hope people show up for that game. A victory over New Mexico should give SLU some good energy and momentum going into the conference season.

-my guess is everything about the program and the ADept is under review either by the BE7 or by SLU itself so I think attendance and every other factor is significant for every game and we only get so many strikes

-or let me put it this way, if I am part of the group of BE7 deciding who I want to partner with I would be looking at every aspect of the ADept for those programs in consideration, perhaps they are not taking this approach

-I could imagine 500 SIUE fans in the building tonight

SIUE Attendance

Their Super Bowl was vs. SIU-C im guessing

Nice work. I was just doing this research to add to my original post. Their average home attendance has been 1,770 and they play at the Vadalabene Center which holds around 4,000.

SIU-C was obviously a huge game for them. Not sure how many SIU-C fans are in the 3,507 number, but I would guess a quite a few. While SIU-C was probably a bigger game than SLU for them, I still think they will get geeked up for SLU as well. Given their home attendance numbers, I would guess their could be around 500-1,000 SIU-E fans at the game. Given SLU's attendance numbers this year I would guess around 5,500 to 6,000 "SLU" fans. Should be interesting to see if the 6 to 1 or so ratio is enough to drown out the SIU-E faithful.

As a season ticket holder for both SLU and SIUE, I'd be willing to bet that the number of SIUE fans in attendence will be closer to 50-100 than 500-1,000. The attendence for the game against Carbondale was a mirage. The vast majority were Saluki fans. A large number of attendees to the other SIUE games are students who get in free. I doubt very few of them will make the trip to Chaifetz especially during Christmas break.

If SIUE was healthy, they might have been able to make a game out of it for a half. But if Yelovich and Wiltz are still out with injury, the game could get ugly really quickly especially if Mitchell gets some quality minutes.

Despite all that, I am really looking forward to the game tonight. I'll be wearing an SIUE t-shirt and a SLU hat.

As a season ticket holder for both SLU and SIUE, I'd be willing to bet that the number of SIUE fans in attendence will be closer to 50-100 than 500-1,000. The attendence for the game against Carbondale was a mirage. The vast majority were Saluki fans. A large number of attendees to the other SIUE games are students who get in free. I doubt very few of them will make the trip to Chaifetz especially during Christmas break.

If SIUE was healthy, they might have been able to make a game out of it for a half. But if Yelovich and Wiltz are still out with injury, the game could get ugly really quickly especially if Mitchell gets some quality minutes.

Despite all that, I am really looking forward to the game tonight. I'll be wearing an SIUE t-shirt and a SLU hat.

I am surprised that SIU-E gets that many students even with free tickets. It is my understanding that SLU students also get in free, but rarely (a few games a year Xavier, Dayton, Temple) do that many students make it to games. I suppose SIU-E has a much larger student population so that basically makes up for the differences.

I would be disappointed with only 50 or so SIU-E fans. I was actually hoping for an attendance boost from a few hundred of them. Fans of the other team cheering often cause your fans to cheer louder. This is why the NCAA games are so fun because you have a mix of fans trying to out-do one another. Plus, more butts in the seats = more $ for SLU and it looks better when you view attendance records at year end.

-my guess is everything about the program and the ADept is under review either by the BE7 or by SLU itself so I think attendance and every other factor is significant for every game and we only get so many strikes

-or let me put it this way, if I am part of the group of BE7 deciding who I want to partner with I would be looking at every aspect of the ADept for those programs in consideration, perhaps they are not taking this approach

-I could imagine 500 SIUE fans in the building tonight