Jerry Sloan

mbart33

Larry Brown made 3 Final Fours in 7 seasons, won the title as a 6-seed in 1988, and never missed the dance.

Aside from the fact that they're both over 70 years old, and each lost to Phil Jackson in the NBA Finals (of course, Brown subsequently beat Jackson to win an NBA title), Larry Brown and Jerry Sloan are not fit for comparison.

Let's start here--NBA, great teacher-want's to coach--may want to take over his old friends post (rick M)--knows crews I think kids would jump at a chance to play for him

any thoughts

In the aftermath of Coach's death, I'm not sure I am ready to talk about the next coach and I hope Crews does well this year, but I will say that I really like the thought of Jerry Sloan at SLU if he would want to come here. He is a very young 70 (young for 60 really), from McLeansboro IL, brilliant, similar in style and proven like Majerus. People get excited by young new coaches, but one thing you got to worry about - is the job to big for them? What are they going to do when things get rough (and they will)? Don't have to worry about that with Majerus and don't have to worry about that with Sloan. By the way, in the small sample size, the older coaches have done the best in regards to the challenges at SLU.

Let's get healthy 1st.

Jerry Sloan, great coach that he is, is used to dealing with men. It would be a bridge too far to ask him to succeed with kids. He would like the control he would have, but I don't think he is good fit for college. (George Karl would get the same response. Steve Spurrier, on the other hand, could only treat players like kids, not men.)