Larry Brown wants the SMU job

bills16

That is awesome. Just saw that this morning on ESPN. I remember posting something about Larry Brown being considered for jobs still due to his reputation, but COME ON, the guy is 71 years old! How long do you think he is going to be able to coach? And it isn't like he has a reputation for sticking around anyway.

I can get him wanting a $2mm salary. I don't understand SMU's thinking in pursuing coaches who will be short term at best. Majerus was only 59 when we hired him, but I think we all figured he'd stay thru his 6 year deal, which it appears he will. How long a deal are they gonna give a guy like Brown, or RM if he had been interested? 5 years for Brown he'll be 76. Wouldn't you think most recruits would look at him and say, "I ain't playing for a guy who's old enough to be my grandfather."

My Dad just turned 80 and still works more than a 40 hour week. I'm not saying it's for everybody, but many more people are starting to view retirement as an outdated concept. I doubt that SMU could find a more qualified applicant, and certainly not one with better name recognition.Yes it's a risk, but their last big name coach was a real bust. What do they have to lose?

My Dad just turned 80 and still works more than a 40 hour week. I'm not saying it's for everybody, but many more people are starting to view retirement as an outdated concept. I doubt that SMU could find a more qualified applicant, and certainly not one with better name recognition.Yes it's a risk, but their last big name coach was a real bust. What do they have to lose?

I can guarantee you I'll never think of it as an outdated concept. Only 30 years until I'm sipping a beer in Zihuatenejo.

I will say that Brown has a rep for turning losers into winners. But he also has a rep for staying only a short time, and that was when we was young. Considering his age now, I just can't see him sticking it out for more than a couple of years tops. Is it worth it for SMU to pay him big money (he will probably want more than what they offered Majerus per year) when you are just going to have to turn around and hire someone else in a short while? Perhaps it is worth it just for the name recognition and getting the program on the map. He is one of the brightest minds in coaching history, and has had tons of success, just don't expect him to stick around long. It just isn't his style.

Band, I admire your dad. It keeps him young. But would he be able to hold up under the stresses of a D1 coaching job that just invested $2mil a year in him? If so, the man is a wonder. There are sometimes I see RM on the floor coaching the Bills, I'm praying he doesn't grab his heart and say, "here I come, Elizabeth!" That's a reference to Samford and Son from the 70s, or was it the 80's. Getting old ain't for the weak minded. But I envy your dad. I've been retired for 2 years now, and am trying to start a new business. Making tee times gets old.

Band, I admire your dad. It keeps him young. But would he be able to hold up under the stresses of a D1 coaching job that just invested $2mil a year in him? If so, the man is a wonder. There are sometimes I see RM on the floor coaching the Bills, I'm praying he doesn't grab his heart and say, "here I come, Elizabeth!" That's a reference to Samford and Son from the 70s, or was it the 80's. Getting old ain't for the weak minded. But I envy your dad. I've been retired for 2 years now, and am trying to start a new business. Making tee times gets old.

Great quote! I loved Fred Sanford.

72, don't stay retired and get that business going. Most studies are showing you will live longer if you dont retire.

I am 65 and own a Coldwell Banker franchise in a rural area of Missouri. I have no intentions of retiring unless poor health dictates. My pleasures are Billiken basketball, other Billiken sports, my garden, my volunteer work and my job. In that order. I need to fill my time productively whether that is sheer pleasure or profit. No interest in full retirement at this point. I can do as I please but have a purpose each day. I have warned my staff about future March trips to the NCAA. What can they say?

I am 65 and own a Coldwell Banker franchise in a rural area of Missouri. I have no intentions of retiring unless poor health dictates. My pleasures are Billiken basketball, other Billiken sports, my garden, my volunteer work and my job. In that order. I need to fill my time productively whether that is sheer pleasure or profit. No interest in full retirement at this point. I can do as I please but have a purpose each day. I have warned my staff about future March trips to the NCAA. What can they say?

I love ya but when I hit 65 I'm going to jump up on my manager's desk, do the FU dance and run the hell out f there. Some live longer working but I'll take my chances with fishing, drinking, and God willing, schtuping my lovely wife. Working into retirement is for those without imagination, means, or sense of worth outside of business............

Ideal situation if they can pay Brown 2mm a year and then find an associate head coach to take over in 4-5 years and pay him an attractive salary.

+1 It takes a boat full of money to do it this way but you could be right. Use Brown's name to lure in recruits while having a coach-in-waiting on the staff who will run the program and take over the talent assembled while Larry is the HC. You have to buck up for Larry Brown and the money it takes to bring in a legit coach in waiting.