SLU financial gain from the tournament

JMM28

We discussed the NCAA tournament units a few weeks ago, but thought it might be interesting to add up the final numbers. Each unit last year was worth about 240,000 give or take.

SLU earned 2 units for the conference, adding 480,000 to the pot every year for the next 6 years. In the A10, the earning team gets to keep 75% of what they bring in.

This year SLU will receive $360,000. This will continue for another 5 years. The total will be $2,160,000. This doesn't factor in the $100,000-150,000 or so a SLU spot would cost to run on CBS Sunday during the 2nd round game.

There is also the consideration of the publicity generated from Sportscenter, Brackets, ESPN.com, Foxsports.com, and the like. All above combined will lead to increased donations to the university. There could be a minor uptick this year, followed by a huge uptick if we were to go Sweet 16 and beyond next year.

Regardless - winning just 1 game in the tournament will bring a minimum of $2,160,000 in cash to the coffers and another 250-300k worth of publicity at minimum.

We discussed the NCAA tournament units a few weeks ago, but thought it might be interesting to add up the final numbers. Each unit last year was worth about 240,000 give or take.

SLU earned 2 units for the conference, adding 480,000 to the pot every year for the next 6 years. In the A10, the earning team gets to keep 75% of what they bring in.

This year SLU will receive $360,000. This will continue for another 5 years. The total will be $2,160,000. This doesn't factor in the $100,000-150,000 or so a SLU spot would cost to run on CBS Sunday during the 2nd round game.

There is also the consideration of the publicity generated from Sportscenter, Brackets, ESPN.com, Foxsports.com, and the like. All above combined will lead to increased donations to the university. There could be a minor uptick this year, followed by a huge uptick if we were to go Sweet 16 and beyond next year.

Regardless - winning just 1 game in the tournament will bring a minimum of $2,160,000 in cash to the coffers and another 250-300k worth of publicity at minimum.

Thanks for laying this out. I was curious about this. An extra $360,000 a year for a team like SLU will go a long way. Wonder how much of it will stick with the bball team?

Curious where you got these figures from. I do not doubt them, I have just been curious what the current financial gain is from the tournament.

How are credits allocated (is it the number of games played in?) And are conference shares broken up evenly? e.g. We get 1/13th of the money Xavier brought in for the conference.

Curious where you got these figures from. I do not doubt them, I have just been curious what the current financial gain is from the tournament.

How are credits allocated (is it the number of games played in?) And are conference shares broken up evenly? e.g. We get 1/13th of the money Xavier brought in for the conference.

Units are given for every game participated in except the championship game.

The $ amount is from last year. Basically you take the total $ pool for the tournament(last years $ was 175MMish) and divide by the number of games/teams over the past 6 years to get the value of a unit. The approximate part comes in when you don't factor in the play-in games and any additions to that pool in the future. There winds up being around 750-760 units total over the 6 year span.

Per this article (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/19/sports/ncaabasketball/19underdogs.html) the A10 gives 75% of the revenue to the earning team. So 1 unit being worth approx 240k would mean 180k to SLU, 60k to split between remaining 13 teams.

I suppose you could also count the success of Xavier,Temple, or St B being worth about 10k extra per game played but that would happen regardless of our outcome so I didn't include it.

Units are given for every game participated in except the championship game.

The $ amount is from last year. Basically you take the total $ pool for the tournament(last years $ was 175MMish) and divide by the number of games/teams over the past 6 years to get the value of a unit. The approximate part comes in when you don't factor in the play-in games and any additions to that pool in the future. There winds up being around 750-760 units total over the 6 year span.

Per this article (http://www.nytimes.c...9underdogs.html) the A10 gives 75% of the revenue to the earning team. So 1 unit being worth approx 240k would mean 180k to SLU, 60k to split between remaining 13 teams.

I suppose you could also count the success of Xavier,Temple, or St B being worth about 10k extra per game played but that would happen regardless of our outcome so I didn't include it.

While not a 'large' amount, it is still a nice little piece coming to us. It is important to also point this out because the A-10, even with Temple leaving (but Butler coming in) is a conference that typically gets 3 or more bids a season. By virtue of SLU just residing in the conference, they get a little extra money each year that they would not get being in a conference like the MVC.

While not a 'large' amount, it is still a nice little piece coming to us. It is important to also point this out because the A-10, even with Temple leaving (but Butler coming in) is a conference that typically gets 3 or more bids a season. By virtue of SLU just residing in the conference, they get a little extra money each year that they would not get being in a conference like the MVC.

Precisely. The real advantage of the A10 is that the earning school gets to keep 75% of their own money.

I honestly don't know how the MVC breaks up their money, but my understanding is that the A10 is the exception to the rule in regards to the 75% going to the earning school. I believe most conferences break it up evenly among members.

So - being bottom feeders it is better to be in the MVC. Being in the tournament - better to be in the A10.

Also - when you leave a conference, your NCAA units stay in that conference. So while we won't gain Butler's units from the past few years, we will keep Temple's 5 units from the past couple of years to be distributed equally I assume.

Any idea how this will affect our deal with Nike? Increased investment as far as updated uniforms and gear. Perhaps a larger interest on their part in getting Billiken nike gear in the hands of SLU fans? My thought is minimal but I who knows?

Isn't this a contract issue 05? I was under the impression that because our short sighted bookstore signed a deal with Under Armour that we can't sell other athletic gear in the store. Or that we didn't include in our contract with Nike that we can sell our gear in our bookstore. One of the two.. I could be wrong on both.

Either way, I want us to leave Nike and sign all sports with UA. Get those sweet uni's (soccer and basketball) in the bookstore and let me by one in each color for every day of the week. The sole reason (not really) that I want the Bills to re-up their Hockey program is so that I can wear a Billiken Hockey sweater 7 days a week. Also, D1 hockey is the most under rated sport in the nation.

But seriously, I cry everytime I know that I don't have those blue shorts. I am crying right now. I want those away shorts.

I thought each school got one for free?

Any idea how this will affect our deal with Nike? Increased investment as far as updated uniforms and gear. Perhaps a larger interest on their part in getting Billiken nike gear in the hands of SLU fans? My thought is minimal but I who knows?

The gear available to Billiken fans is sub-par at best. Aside from the old "The Game" hats, not much pickings.

The gear available to Billiken fans is sub-par at best. Aside from the old "The Game" hats, not much pickings.

Whenever they have a cool item they never re-stock it either. They used to sell these sweet vintage styled adidas soccer t-shirts, I bought one, then my girlfriend stole it, I went to buy another one and they were sold out.

I'm a pretty crappy category analyst but I know when an item sells out that means its popular... And we made money... And we should probably replenish it... right?

Whenever they have a cool item they never re-stock it either. They used to sell these sweet vintage styled adidas soccer t-shirts, I bought one, then my girlfriend stole it, I went to buy another one and they were sold out.

I'm a pretty crappy category analyst but I know when an item sells out that means its popular... And we made money... And we should probably replenish it... right?

I was talking arena shop not bookstore. Bookstore sucks arena shop is a bit better but shorts selection sucks. Jerseys are decent but still not Nike.

I was talking arena shop not bookstore. Bookstore sucks arena shop is a bit better but shorts selection sucks. Jerseys are decent but still not Nike.

Billiken gear has sucked big time for years. Believe it or not, it is 100 times better now than it was 10 years ago. I was actually able to buy Adidas shorts in the bookstore with the SLU logo on the side 3-4 years ago...and I was shocked. I also got a gray Nike shirt that said "BILLIKENS" in blue across the front and had a Nike shoosh underneath....even more shocked.

WHERE THE HELL IS THE GOOD SLU GEAR? Our uniforms are sweet...where the hell can I get stuff that resembles that? Why are some things always so incredibly difficult for this school to execute on?