Who will improve the most???

ACE

Of our returning players, who will improve the most and take on the biggest role... Ian, JJ, Clarke, Husak, Drejaj?

My guess is Clarke. He began to take on a bigger role late last year. If he matures a little physically, I could see him being a factor at the 3 in a three guard offense, especially with Tommie up in the air.

In terms of most improvement I agree with your assessment of Clarke. He has a really nice stroke from three and seems to be a pretty nice athlete. I see him having a Virgel Cobbin type game.

However, I think Drejaj will become a real presence this year. (Of course I said the same before the 2003 season). He is the best on the team at the drive and dish and can really fill it up when he is on. On top of that, he is a very emotional leader, and I think with more minutes on the floor he will raise the whole teams defensive intensity

Ian - i then to think he actually has the most potential on the team. let's see what kind of work ethic he has this summer. if he comes back with 4 inches off his waist and hips and his weight remains the same, that will go a long way to showing us how serious he really is. and btw, i did that over the last year. lost 4 inches off my waist and remained the same. if a part-time health club work ethic can do that, surely a full-time summer athlete can.

JJ - he's had two summers to show us something in the way of improvement and fullfillment of his vast potential and hasnt yet. i will believe it when i see it.

Clarke - i too am very encouraged by his end of the season appearances. i think he is more right now than cobbin ever was. cobbin made a living sitting in the corner and taking that sweet shot. clarke has shown he can create. whether it is this season or next, i think eventually darren clarke is going to be a player.

Husak - he is tall.

Drejaj - more guts than the rest of the team combined. and i dont say that to rip the rest of the team. drejaj is one tough sob. i wouldnt ever bet against the kid. whatever brad tells him to do, you can bet he is going to do everything he can to do it.

so as far as my expected impact for next season, i rank them drejaj, ian, clarke, johnson and husak.

that all said, this team will rise and fall with frericks, bryant and izik. they have to carry this team.

Justin Johnson probably has the most upside. Darren Clarke might be the one to see the biggest increase in contribution this year, but let's see what they do this summer before guessing. Personally, though, I don't think we'll get a whole lot more out of Anthony Drejaj. He'll be key, but I don't think he'll be a whole lot better than he has been.

I can think of a few games where he made significant contributions. If he were able to duplicate those efforts at each game, we will have a very nice inside tandem.

I think that if he returns a bit quicker and stronger, he can make a nice impact.

Then again, I am at a loss to identify the last player who improved a great deal from his freshman year to his sophomore year in a Billiken uniform. I am torn between Perry's improvement and Harris'. I am leaning toward Jeff. Any thoughts?

I believe that Ian will improve the most. Or at least I'm hoping. From what I hear he's already making improvements. Last year all I ever got from Reg, was "Mo, he's young...give him a chance". So I'm gonna give him a chance. Reg swears to me that Ian has the game but has to match the intensity and drive as far as his heart and mindset. He says he doesn't think he'll be a quick or running player. But he's more seasoned as a Pro game and not college. But that he's been working hard and will be better next season. I'm thinking I haven't seen the other guys enough to say they even need improvement or need the minutes to show what they can do. So it's up in the air. I'm looking forward to next year, but I really hope Ian comes back a monster in the game.

i will say about ian, there is no doubt he has superior court vision and hands. both are rare for inside players. i also agree he will never be fast. he wont be finishing any karl malone like fast breaks. but if he can get in shape, i think he could turn into a sabonis like inside guy. the kind of court vision and presense that ian possesses is rare. just dreaming of those passes to tommie liddell and kevin lisch and duane polk are enough to excite any billiken fan. however, if he never puts in the effort to get into top shape both cardio and strength, well then he might as well stay in greece. here's hoping he really has a nice summer OFF the court.

If Tom is healthy he will have the best game of any Billiken big man since Jamal Johnson. He has been injury prone his entire career though so it may be tough for him to get through an entire season without getting hurt.

JJ and Clarke will be contributors. I don't expect any breakout games from either of them though.

Ian is the most talented offensive player save for Reggie. He makes opposing centers head spin on defense with his up and under moves. Being in shape will play a big part in his success but the other key will be the overall offense. Will Brad be able to run an offense that is post oriented to max out Frericks and especially Ian's potential? Ian could very well direct the offense from the high and low post if Brad decides to go that way.

I always hold out hope that Izik can consistently put up good numbers but he has yet to show that capability. I am expecting nothing more than a performance similar to last years from him.