Page 10, Largest college and university alumni groups--

ranked by total number of local living alumni

1)UMSL 60,404

2)) SLU 60,035

3)SIU-E 45,748

4)Wash U. 36,876

5)Webster 33,766

6) Mizzou 25,589

Can't get a link, sorry. Somebody has got to be more technological able than me.

Define "local"

Per the 'notes' section (boy I wish I could cut and paste this) 'Local is defined as St. Louis, St. Charles, Lincoln, Warren Franklin, Washington and Jefferson counties and City of St. Louis in Missouri; and Jersey, Madison, Clinton, St. Clair, Calhoun, Macoupin, Bond and Monroe counties in Illinois.'

Either that's incorrect, or they've changed their criteria. In the past we've also had more than Mizzou (which does, in fact, invalidate the whole "Mizzou has more alumni" argument about which team gets more coverage). But the difference was nowhere near that drastic.

I'd be curious as to how many Mizzou grads have graduate degrees from SLU. I remember going to school with a lot of Mizzou alums in the MBA program, and I'm sure there are even more in the law school.

Webster's figure has to skew significantly toward grad students.

Either that's incorrect, or they've changed their criteria. In the past we've also had more than Mizzou (which does, in fact, invalidate the whole "Mizzou has more alumni" argument about which team gets more coverage). But the difference was nowhere near that drastic.

The previous year Mizzou was third which would hint at a severe drop-off, which would hint at a change in methodology. Don't have last year's list to verify.

Per the 'notes' section (boy I wish I could cut and paste this) 'Local is defined as St. Louis, St. Charles, Lincoln, Warren Franklin, Washington and Jefferson counties and City of St. Louis in Missouri; and Jersey, Madison, Clinton, St. Clair, Calhoun, Macoupin, Bond and Monroe counties in Illinois.'

i'll bet there aren't many slu graduates in calhoun county...heck, there aren't many grade school graduates there...the population's only about 5,000...seriously, though, i think easy ed macauley's roots were from there...

A few points. Total alumni does not equal basketball fans. Over the last 30 years SLU has done wll to have 100 students - future alums attend games. Mizzou gets much more. And as far as TV ratings, newspaper readership and merchandise is concerned, many more Mizzou alums will turn on the TV, readthe paper and buy a shirt because mizzou sports - basketball and football - were part of their college experience. How many UMSL students go to their games? Why don't I see their merchandise in stores if they have the molst alums?

OK, I found some numbers in my "meaningless crap" file. From either 2010 or 2011:

SLU - 47,839

MU - 44,330

The only place I've ever seen these numbers is the Business Journal, so I'm guessing that was my source.

I initially misread "file" to be "life" and was honesty quite flummoxed, yet ultimately compelled to help. Glad it was all just a misunderstanding.

I don't subscribe, but here's the synopsis of the article (http://www.bizjourna...s-caterers.html)

The University of Missouri-St. Louis has 58,000 alumni living in the city and surrounding counties, which again earns it the top rank on the St. Louis Business Journal’s annual list of the metro area’s largest college and university alumni groups.

The rest of the top seven also remained unchanged on the 2011 list. They are in descending order: Saint Louis University Alumni Association; Mizzou Alumni Association; SIU-Edwardsville Alumni Association; Washington University Alumni Association; Webster University Alumni Association; and Southeast Missouri State University Alumni Association.

Three new organizations joined this year’s list: Southern Illinois University Alumni Association; Kaskaskia College Alumni Association; and Harris-Stowe State University Alumni Association.