Article: "Why the Billikens are the Nation's Biggest Sleeper"

Good article! But the Billikens shouldn't be considered a "sleeper" by anybody that pays attention to this board. They have only slightly outperformed what I had expected out of them this season. (I predicted 23-7, and an NCAA bid) In fact, anything short of an NCAA bid should be considered failure.

The goal for the long-term should be to never to be considered a sleeper by the unwashed masses again. We don't want to be next year what Richmond is this year: A sweet 16 team that has fallen, once again, into anonymity.

This isn't going to happen, as long as we have Rich Majerus as our coach. Next year promises to be just as good, or better than this year.

Question 1: How much longer will RM be coaching?

I'd like the Billikens to be the next Gonzaga

Question 2: What are the reasons for Gonzaga's continued high achievement?

re: Gonzaga- over a decade of consistent dominance and national rankings

ie: don't get ahead of yourself with that comparison.. we have only gone to the tourney 6 times, they haven't missed it since 1998

The reason why Gonzaga is Gonzaga (a program to emulate for all mid-majors) is because they made a name for themselves with success in the tournament. few people had heard of Gonzaga until the ran-off an elite-8 and two sweet-16s from 1999-2001. From there, they were established as a basketball power. All the Billikens need to do is go on a nice march tear and establish this program.

Ha! I'm smiling while thinking it so its only halfway spiteful :)

But he definitely took the cake as one of my least favorite players ever... and the entire wake forest team of 94 and 95. :P bleagh!

The reason why Gonzaga is Gonzaga (a program to emulate for all mid-majors) is because they made a name for themselves with success in the tournament. few people had heard of Gonzaga until the ran-off an elite-8 and two sweet-16s from 1999-2001. From there, they were established as a basketball power. All the Billikens need to do is go on a nice march tear and establish this program.

Bingo. If you aren't a brand in college basketball, like UCLA, Kansas, Duke, UNC, etc, you make a name for yourself like Gonzaga did back in 1999. Few people knew of Gonzaga, where it was or any of the above. I only knew it was in Spokane because I knew John Stockton went there. This is all about momentum, people. We have gotten so many things off the court corrected, the stadium, the bars, even the damn clothing (I beg anyone to tell me that our school shirts, hats, etc didn't completely suck until a few years ago) but the reality is a sweet 16 appearance would do such wonders for this school. Two of them in a row and you start buliding a name, a brand, a following that goes beyond alumni and people local to STL. Look at Butler. Did you know Butler was in Indianapolis 3 years ago? Did you care? Do you think most people know Butler isn't doing that great this year? No, because people remember their two improbable runs in the NCAA tournament.

Do all the rankings, analysis, whatever you want, but this team will make the tournament and a win in the tournament is the most prominent thing we can do to advance the basketball program. There is a ton riding on it this year. A TON.

Another thing that prompted Gonzaga's continued national prominence is the fact that the West Coast Conference sucked balls up until a few years ago...13 out of 14 regular season conference championships is ridiculous in a truly competitive conference. If you are in the Tournament essentially by default for 15 straight years, you're going to get national recognition. Over the last few years it has gotten better with St. Marys rising to national prominence, and the addition of BYU should spur some increased competition at the top.

Posted Image

Cry baby!

And one of the biggest busts in NBA history. Could shoot a little bit but had no discernable NBA skills, a shockingly poor rebounder for someone who was 6'8" and was a disinterested defender. He's out of the league and he's a huge POS.

Another thing that prompted Gonzaga's continued national prominence is the fact that the West Coast Conference sucked balls up until a few years ago...13 out of 14 regular season conference championships is ridiculous in a truly competitive conference. If you are in the Tournament essentially by default for 15 straight years, you're going to get national recognition. Over the last few years it has gotten better with St. Marys rising to national prominence, and the addition of BYU should spur some increased competition at the top.

Good point. Butler and Creighton have taken advantage of similar circumstances in the past.