It is not over....

The Wiz

....yet

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

.............John Belushi, Animal House

The fact is not much has changed. With a couple of timely shots, there would be no negativity or panic. We could have won that game ,,,we were predicted to win that game ,,,,but we didn't. We went cold near the end. But not much damage to the numbers. We are still an A team. We are still the best in conference. And we are still at this point favored to win the remaining games. We have lost to Temple who just beat a top 5 team (Duke). By beating us, Temple moves up to an A- rating. We have lost to New Mexico (A rated) at their place, They moved up to A by beating us. And we lost in overtime to Dayton (B+) at their place. Our only weak loss was to Loyola who at C- isn't bad. So again not much damage to the numbers.

My concern at this point is for the team psyche. If they get down, they will start to lose. If they could look at the numbers as I do they could shrug it off as a fluke or occasionally during a game you go cold. When you go cold duriing a game against Tex Southern it isnt noticeable when you are winning by 20+ points. And we don't always go cold. We have beaten good teams.....Nova ( B )...Okla(B+)...Wash(B+) How do you think Duke felt after their loss to unrated Temple? They were 3rd in the nation. It was very disappointing to them .And yes, their fan base(at least part of them ) had a meltdown.....why didn't we start x player instead of y ....Coach K doesn't know what he is doing ....he is past his prime...etc etc. Coach K actually has an interesting philosphy. When his players screw up in a game, he tells them "next play" . It is code for-- move on. If you dwell on it you will screw up the next play. Regardless of what Duke fans think, the Duke team knows deep down they are good and just had a bad game. They know they will dance. The Bills need to do the same. Move on. Realize they have lost to some really good teams ....teams they could have beaten ...and move on. Realize they are still the best team in the league and move on.

For the Bills going forward....Next Play

....yet

The fact is not much has changed. With a couple of timely shots, there would be no negativity or panic. We could have won that game ,,,we were predicted to win that game ,,,,but we didn't. We went cold near the end. But not much damage to the numbers. We are still an A team. We are still the best in conference. And we are still at this point favored to win the remaining games. We have lost to Temple who just beat a top 5 team (Duke). By beating us, Temple moves up to an A- rating. We have lost to New Mexico (A rated) at their place, They moved up to A by beating us. And we lost in overtime to Dayton (B+) at their place. Our only weak loss was to Loyola who at C- isn't bad. So again not much damage to the numbers.

My concern at this point is for the team psyche. If they get down, they will start to lose. If they could look at the numbers as I do they could shrug it off as a fluke or occasionally during a game you go cold. When you go cold duriing a game against Tex Southern it isnt noticeable when you are winning by 20+ points. And we don't always go cold. We have beaten good teams.....Nova ( B) ...Okla(B+)...Wash(B+) How do you think Duke felt after their loss to unrated Temple? They were 3rd in the nation. It was very disappointing to them .And yes, their fan base(at least part of them ) had a meltdown.....why didn't we start x player instead of y ....Coach K doesn't know what he is doing ....he is past his prime...etc etc Coach K actually has an interesting philosphy. When his players screw up in a game, he tells them "next play" . It is code for-- move on. If you dwell on it you will screw up the next play. Regardless of what Duke fans think, the Duke team know deep down they are good and just had a bad game. They know they will dance. The Bills need to do the same. Move on. Realize they have lost to some really good teams ....teams they could have beat ...and move on. Realize they are still the best team in the league and move on.

The great quote from Major League applies here:

Only one thing left to do...win the whole f---in' thing.

Wiz,

Is it possible that the team getting the extra practice in and playing during the Canada trip is throwing off your rankings? Perhaps the Bills were in mid-season form for the Anaheim tournament, while the other teams were still figuring things out. Thus, SLU won (or won by more than they would have) some games that inflated their ranking. Maybe there is no way to tell, but I think this could be a factor. Now that other teams are in mid-season form as well, the Bills have lost their advantage.

Wiz,

Is it possible that the team getting the extra practice in and playing during the Canada trip is throwing off your rankings? Perhaps the Bills were in mid-season form for the Anaheim tournament, while the other teams were still figuring things out. Thus, SLU won (or won by more than they would have) some games that inflated their ranking. Maybe there is no way to tell, but I think this could be a factor. Now that other teams are in mid-season form as well, the Bills have lost their advantage.

I don't think Canada made much difference. After those games you had a long break which would have neutralized any extra conditioning. No, I think we just lost 3 close games to very good teams( the 4th, Loyola...we were just tired). When you play good teams there is no margin for error. Going cold against a good team for just a few minutes can be the difference between winning and losing.

....yet

My concern at this point is for the team psyche. If they get down, they will start to lose. If they could look at the numbers as I do they could shrug it off as a fluke or occasionally during a game you go cold. When you go cold duriing a game against Tex Southern it isnt noticeable when you are winning by 20+ points. And we don't always go cold. We have beaten good teams.....Nova ( B )...Okla(B+)...Wash(B+) How do you think Duke felt after their loss to unrated Temple? They were 3rd in the nation. It was very disappointing to them .And yes, their fan base(at least part of them ) had a meltdown.....why didn't we start x player instead of y ....Coach K doesn't know what he is doing ....he is past his prime...etc etc. Coach K actually has an interesting philosphy. When his players screw up in a game, he tells them "next play" . It is code for-- move on. If you dwell on it you will screw up the next play. Regardless of what Duke fans think, the Duke team knows deep down they are good and just had a bad game. They know they will dance. The Bills need to do the same. Move on. Realize they have lost to some really good teams ....teams they could have beaten ...and move on. Realize they are still the best team in the league and move on.

That's the difference. Duke knows it will dance, that it will be in the NCAA Tournament. SLU fans do not have that luxury.

How does Villanova get a "B"- They suck! They're the worst team in the Big East. Although, I admit the Big East is about the best conference. BC just beat Clemson, what's their grade?

Overall, I agree. Let's move on and kick the sh!t out of UNCC!

One of the reasons I developed a grading system is to give people an objective way to look at how their team compares with others. Many fans go on emotion or past history when trying to evaluate teams. As has been discussed earlier, even voters in the top 25 polls can be biased. Hmmm...Nova the worst team in the Big East??? Not according to my ranking. Nova is an average team in the Big East which because of conference strength puts them at B. The worst team is ...St. John's, followed by DePaul, Prov, S Fla, Rutgers, Pitt, and Notre Dame. I am not saying that these are bad teams but that they are worse then Nova. An interesting note is that St. John's as the "worst" team is actually rated as C. That shows the strength of the Big East, though I would say the Big 10 and Big 12 are stronger conferences this year. The point of this was that Nova doesn't "suck" and that beating them was a quality win for the Bills.

Regarding BC vs Clemson. Yes that was a good win for BC. BC has moved from F to D- . They were able to squeak out a 2 pt victory against Clemson, a pretty good team (B-) So BC's good win actually helps the Bills in an obtuse way.

Now it is time to "crush" UNCC by 5 1/2 pts. To quote Coach K again ..."next play"

No doubt you've analyzed it much more than I. I'll at least agree that the worst team in the Big East still gets a "C", and on further review, I agree that Villanova may not be the worst team in the Big East. But, there is no way that they are better than Notre Dame. The Irish are surging!

What is Mi$$ou's grade?

No doubt you've analyzed it much more than I. I'll at least agree that the worst team in the Big East still gets a "C", and on further review, I agree that Villanova may not be the worst team in the Big East. But, there is no way that they are better than Notre Dame. The Irish are surging!

What is Mi$$ou's grade?

You will notice in my reverse listing of Big East teams in the above post that Notre Dame was listed last meaning they are ranked 10th in the Big East. Nova is 9th. Both teams are rated B....very slight edge to Nova. If you want to call them even that's fine as it is statistically insignificant.

Not sure what the fascination is with Mizzou on a SLU board,,,,,but they are rated A+.

Let me, too, say that it is not over. My prediction in another thread of 19 - 11/7 - 9 in conference is based not on anything statistical, nor any magic of a system. It is based on the record of this program (not this team) as we move forward. Can it change? Absolutely.

My facts remain 1) our BCS wins were against depreciating teams, 2) we never seem to beat Temple or Xavier anywhere, and 3) we traditionally don't do well on the road. With those factors in play, I see our early euphoria and ranking based on false pretense; I see us losing at home to Xavier while winning the rest; and I see every road game as a test, even those at Duquesne and Rhode Island. That would mean wins at home against all but Xavier and going 5 and 1 taking us to 18 - 5/6 - 3. It would also mean losses at Charlotte, La Salle, Umass, Xavier and St. Joe's, meaning 18 - 10/6 - 8. Leaving road games in limbo at Duquesne and Rhode Island. Charlotte will show me a lot tomorrow. The arrow can only go up because my expectations are for it not to.

What compounds this is that once you get into league play, the opposition knows who we are and what we do. I appreciate those of you with only the best of thoughts and please keep them. This is not meant to sway anyone over to my side of the thinking. Let me be the worst-case scenario.

Of course, at 7 and 9, we don't even make Atlantic City because we might have to play a road game at someone else's place the Tuesday before. And dancing of any kind is a pipe dream.

Despite the fabulous start to this year, I see the same old same old Billikens evolving right now. Old habits are hard to break. Anyone remember when we finished Top Four w/Liddell and Lisch in the A10. Went to Cincy with a bye and promptly threw up a clunker to St. Joes? I went to our game at La Salle the week prior. And a bad La Salle team took us out. I see that samew thing now. Have I fallen into the trenches of 36+ years of futility agin? Yep.

Here's hoping the team proves me wrong.

Not sure what the fascination is with Mizzou on a SLU board,,,,,but they are rated A+.

I was just baiting Roy.

By the way Roy, while we do share a love of the Billikens, I am a Mi$$ou grad, and turned down an academic scholarship to St. Louis U. Just to set the record straight, overall, no doubt, SLU is superior, but Mi$$ou has a few academic offerings which are better. Engineering, for one- which was my major. Also, the Mi$$ou journalism school is about the best in the country. There are possibly a few other better programs at Mi$$ou...Ag Econ, maybe?

But, that doesn't mean I am a Mi$$ou fan. Hardly. while I was there, I went to one footbal game- Notre Dame kicked a game winning field goal as time expired right as I woke up from napping on the grassy hill that were the free seats at Farout field, and I went to one basket ball game- Kansas beat Mi$$ou. That ticket must have been free too.

And I went to Mi$$0u during the Stipo, Sunvold, and Ricky "turn coat" Frazier era. They were ranked #1 in the country for a time while I was there. But, I wasn't about to jump on that band wagon! Far from it. I even once booed Stipo as I saw him walking across campus. I was SLU fan, practically from birth, and even though I didn't go there (although I do have 18 college credits from SLU) I still have many fond memories of SLU games and seasons. In fact, I still remember my first auto accident as I fish-tailed sideways during a driving rain on I-270 on Dec 22, 1979. i had just witnessed David Burns light it up in the old Checkerdome, but SLU fell to Mi$$ou 77-75 in OT.(The ref's sucked that night, too!) I guess the depression of that loss effected my driving. The guy I hit may well have been a Mi$$ou fan, because in his road raged fury, he yelled a lot of the same words at me as I had heard the Mi$$0u fans yelling at the Billikens earlier that night.

I didn't go to Mi$$ou's J-school, so I can't explain it as clearly as I'd like to, but I'll just say that it is much better to be a SLU fan. regardless of that, though, Missouri is still a fine academic institution with many esteemed alum, other than myself, like Sam Walton, Cheryl Crow, Brad Pitt, the guy that does the Beetle Bailey cartoon, Steven Spielburg's wife, a NASCAR drive, and, not one, but two WWE wrasslers.

However, i did notice that the posts on the Missouri board have far more spelling and grammatical errors than here.