Stltoday.com

davidnark

I am not one who tends to vent about media coverage because I believe it is something that is earned. It is not an entitlement. That being said, stltoday.com--the online edition of the Post-Dispatch--has 14 (yes, 14) sports articles linked on its front page this morning, and yet SLU's win over UW is not one of them. Featured articles include NASCAR, Tiger Woods, the SEC conference, young NFL QBs, and the Pittsburgh Penguins. Mike Smith, or whomever the current online sports editor is, is either incompetent or truly has an anti-SLU agenda.

Meanwhile, Stltoday.com has featured an anti-SLU article on the front page all weekend that criticizes SLU for strategically acquiring real property without publishing the long-term purpose. Of course, last time I checked there is no requirement that anyone announce their long-term strategy when making a purchase.

Again, the Post Dispatch is rapidly becomming irrelevant. The biggest win by SLU in years and still no room? The paper is joke. Favorable stories to the local team would sure seem to increase readership but few thins the Post does is based upon expanding readership. Again, after 20 years of loyal subscriptions and readship, I frankly don't miss it at all.

They had the article up yesterday afternoon. I assume when a new article is added it starts at the top and everything else is dropped down one.

I didn't see much of a point to the property article either.

Bonwich can probably clarify, but I believe the online editor sets the featured articles and it is not necessarily automated by time.

SLU buys i don't know how many subscriptions to the newspaper every week as par of the Billiken Readership program. I would guess over 100 per day. I think we should cut that down to about 10.

Maybe RM pissed the Post off with his not so friendly ways.

Maybe RM pissed the Post off with his not so friendly ways.

Even if he did, the paper has a responsibility to the community and to report on all news that its readers may have interest in. The win Sunday would be of more interest locally then the Penguins or young NFL quarterbacks. I also found the paper's top article on the sports page this morning to be odd - the KU/MU not playing each other anymore - first this is nota new news, second why is this a Monday morning story - there was plenty of stuff to write about from the weekend, third this article could have been run anytime this week when there was nothing important locally happening in sports, and finally there was nothing in the article that had not already been written before - I guess you could have said it was OK to appear any other time if the story brought to light anything that was new or previously not reported but it did not - in other words I and everyone else who has been following the move to the SEC learned absolutely nothing from it.

I am not one who tends to vent about media coverage because I believe it is something that is earned. It is not an entitlement. That being said, stltoday.com--the online edition of the Post-Dispatch--has 14 (yes, 14) sports articles linked on its front page this morning, and yet SLU's win over UW is not one of them. Featured articles include NASCAR, Tiger Woods, the SEC conference, young NFL QBs, and the Pittsburgh Penguins. Mike Smith, or whomever the current online sports editor is, is either incompetent or truly has an anti-SLU agenda.

Meanwhile, Stltoday.com has featured an anti-SLU article on the front page all weekend that criticizes SLU for strategically acquiring real property without publishing the long-term purpose. Of course, last time I checked there is no requirement that anyone announce their long-term strategy when making a purchase.

When I go to stltoday.com/sports I see 5 headline topics that change as time passes and SLU is the last of them. Once you click on SLU, the article is there. Agree that it is weird the article isn't under the "more headlines" which has many of the same articles that are highlighted in the other 4 picture headlines section.

When I go to stltoday.com/sports I see 5 headline topics that change as time passes and SLU is the last of them. Once you click on SLU, the article is there. Agree that it is weird the article isn't under the "more headlines" which has many of the same articles that are highlighted in the other 4 picture headlines section.

I am referring to the sports section on the bottom of the main page of stltoday.com, which is likely where most readers access articles.

-i try not to go to stltoday.com and am most of the time successful

-SLU has been aggressively buying property in the area for over 20 yrs, look how midtown has come back (not all SLU driven but i would say SLU is a major force), how this is now a story is as questionnable as the mu/ku article being top of the page (not sure exactly what it says about the rams other than they are not good)

I could comment on the software the drives our online presence, but we have a saying around here: "Employed is the new affluent."

In any event, deducing that anything is done intentionally on our site is not easily verifiable. I also noted that the SLU game wasn't in the headlines under "Sports" -- but as somebody else noted, it's in the revolving set of five stories on the main sports page. That's considered higher-value real estate, whether it is or not.

I also discovered that Kaman's presence on the team has very similar origins to Matt Dickey's. I could surmise that by the end of this season, we may end up with an all-Web Billiken squad.