Must Read for Fr. B

Billboy1

we run the non revenue sports by the skin of the teeth now. add a high cost sport like football is just not going to happen.

and for those that think football is a revenue sport, not much so on the below bcs level. i would bet almost all non bcs schools that have football do not make money on the sport when you take all the scholarships, additional coaching staffs, facilities and overhead needed for a football program and multiply times 2 (title IX).

slu needs to get all their existing sports programs at the highest level first before you talk about adding a white elephant college sport like football to the menu of sports available.

that all said, i am convinced that slu has indeed raised the budget on the other sports in recent years. just need to keep going.

we run the non revenue sports by the skin of the teeth now. add a high cost sport like football is just not going to happen.

and for those that think football is a revenue sport, not much so on the below bcs level. i would bet almost all non bcs schools that have football do not make money on the sport when you take all the scholarships, additional coaching staffs, facilities and overhead needed for a football program and multiply times 2 (title IX).

slu needs to get all their existing sports programs at the highest level first before you talk about adding a white elephant college sport like football to the menu of sports available.

that all said, i am convinced that slu has indeed raised the budget on the other sports in recent years. just need to keep going.

Did you read the article? Maybe i'm wrong but I thought the article stated that X does so well is because they don't have football and put all their resources into the Basketball program. What does football have to do with it? :blink:

I'm pretty sure, however, that he has no intention of starting a football program.

ND, Michigan, and some of those other schools do pretty well with football-even Tulane, Memphis, Cincinatti, Louisville.

If the Rams leave town we will have two stadiums that could lease us a building for home games. Otherwise Ed Jones Dome is looking at tractor pulls.

Did you read the article? Maybe i'm wrong but I thought the article stated that X does so well is because they don't have football and put all their resources into the Basketball program. What does football have to do with it? :blink:

All the more reason to send it to him then. X treats their players well, chartered flights, tutors, etc. They win and they fill Cintas for every game. Am sure it's helped their academics as well with more applicants. I still don't think Biondi gets how much having a nationally recognized sports program helps the school rather than be a necessary cash drain.

I wonder if Butler will drop its football program, so their basketball team can compete with the likes of Xavier. :rolleyes:

And while Butler football doesn't produce what is typically thought of as revenue...I wonder what their bottom line looks like. Athletic scholarships= 0. Tuition revenue from 100 players= ???

Am sure it's helped their academics as well with more applicants. I still don't think Biondi gets how much having a nationally recognized sports program helps the school rather than be a necessary cash drain.

For the class of 2014, SLU's mean ACT score was 27 and its mean HS GPA was 3.6. Xavier has a weird way of reporting, "middle 50%," whatever that is (probably second and third quartiles), but it reports those as 22-28 for ACT and 3.21-3.9 for GPA, which would imply mean ACT of 25 and mean HS GPA of 3.56.

Which means that despite all that wonderful success on the court during at time when SLU has done bupkis, SLU has a better academic profile than Xavier. So maybe Father Larry gets it better than you give him credit for.

For the class of 2014, SLU's mean ACT score was 27 and its mean HS GPA was 3.6. Xavier has a weird way of reporting, "middle 50%," whatever that is (probably second and third quartiles), but it reports those as 22-28 for ACT and 3.21-3.9 for GPA, which would imply mean ACT of 25 and mean HS GPA of 3.56.

Which means that despite all that wonderful success on the court during at time when SLU has done bupkis, SLU has a better academic profile than Xavier. So maybe Father Larry gets it better than you give him credit for.

When I was choosing between several prominent Jesuit universities (most located in the Midwest and one on the Left Coast), I can clearly remember how Marquette and Xavier highlighted the involvement of the Jesuits in the everyday lives of the student body, and while I'm sure this marketing ploy was to put concerned parents at ease that their sons and daughters would be in good hands with the Roman collar, I don't remember ever seeing photos in pamphlets or brochures from SLU with the men in black roaming the halls of Gries or Clemens or Walsh and chewing the fat with Joe Billiken.

With that being said, the best kept secret that SLU had at that time were Frs. Barry and Doody and without those two gentlemen, I'm sure the SLU experience for a lot of posters on here would be incomplete. I know it would for me. SLU didn't have to market the involvement that the Jesuit priests had on the lives of an average student...I went with the complete trust that my life after four years would be altered forever by interacting with the sons of Loyola.

I am so sick and tired of hearing "Xavier this and Marquette that" -- let's talk about what makes us proud to be Billikens. If you have such a hard-on for Xavier, go root for Xavier. I'm sure they'd love a few more butts to fill the Centas Center. You want to root for Marquette, go get a tattoo of Al MacGwire (sic) on your ass and move to Milwaukee. Quit whining about what Fr. Biondi hasn't done or has done - bottom line is that his legacy is clearly cemented in the lore of Saint Louis U., and it is a legacy that has included millions of dollars of campus improvements, civic leadership and urban development that rivals any president at any American university in the last 30 years, with the exception of Monk Malloy.

We can talk about football programs and revenue all we want here, but the bottom line is that Saint Louis University is our alma mater and we need to stop worrying about Xavier and Marquette and BC and Georgetown and take care of things at home and to ensure that SLU stays in the top tier in terms of academics, retention, alumni contribution and athletics. Sure, we can keep an eye out on the competition, but it has to start here at the U.

When I was choosing between several prominent Jesuit universities (most located in the Midwest and one on the Left Coast), I can clearly remember how Marquette and Xavier highlighted the involvement of the Jesuits in the everyday lives of the student body, and while I'm sure this marketing ploy was to put concerned parents at ease that their sons and daughters would be in good hands with the Roman collar, I don't remember ever seeing photos in pamphlets or brochures from SLU with the men in black roaming the halls of Gries or Clemens or Walsh and chewing the fat with Joe Billiken.

With that being said, the best kept secret that SLU had at that time were Frs. Barry and Doody and without those two gentlemen, I'm sure the SLU experience for a lot of posters on here would be incomplete. I know it would for me. SLU didn't have to market the involvement that the Jesuit priests had on the lives of an average student...I went with the complete trust that my life after four years would be altered forever by interacting with the sons of Loyola.

I am so sick and tired of hearing "Xavier this and Marquette that" -- let's talk about what makes us proud to be Billikens. If you have such a hard-on for Xavier, go root for Xavier. I'm sure they'd love a few more butts to fill the Centas Center. You want to root for Marquette, go get a tattoo of Al MacGwire (sic) on your ass and move to Milwaukee. Quit whining about what Fr. Biondi hasn't done or has done - bottom line is that his legacy is clearly cemented in the lore of Saint Louis U., and it is a legacy that has included millions of dollars of campus improvements, civic leadership and urban development that rivals any president at any American university in the last 30 years, with the exception of Monk Malloy.

We can talk about football programs and revenue all we want here, but the bottom line is that Saint Louis University is our alma mater and we need to stop worrying about Xavier and Marquette and BC and Georgetown and take care of things at home and to ensure that SLU stays in the top tier in terms of academics, retention, alumni contribution and athletics. Sure, we can keep an eye out on the competition, but it has to start here at the U.

Blue Koolaid from Metz? People may put you on ignore.

Wow, Met. Good post. I'll admit that I sometimes get caught up in wanting us to have Xaviers success in basketball.

As far as academics, there was an article like this one done a few years ago that talked about the same type of stuff. I think it was on ESPN or CBS, but anyways I believe it stated that applications have risen like 50-75% as a result of the basketball team. Sorry that I'm too lazy to look up the article right now.