7. Temple 954

8. Charlotte 950

9. George Washington 950

10.St. Joseph's 949

11.Fordham 933

12.U Mass 928

13.Saint Louis 925

14.St. Bonaventure 894

When do the participants in the Situation fall off SLU's APR?

When do the participants in the Situation fall off SLU's APR?

not sure but i think the current 925 rankings would be for players through the previous season and before. i.e. we still havent been hit with smif, jordan and reed leaving slu behind academically. again i am not sure how the rankings are computed exactly. but i think the above number goes through 2010 and the billiken number will probably fall before it rises again.

the good news is it appears the new cutoff will be phased in and probably would not affect the the next couple of seasons on the floor?

anyone that can shed more light on the situation would be greatly appreciated.

not sure but i think the current 925 rankings would be for players through the previous season and before. i.e. we still havent been hit with smif, jordan and reed leaving slu behind academically. again i am not sure how the rankings are computed exactly. but i think the above number goes through 2010 and the billiken number will probably fall before it rises again.

the good news is it appears the new cutoff will be phased in and probably would not affect the the next couple of seasons on the floor?

anyone that can shed more light on the situation would be greatly appreciated.

I'm fairly certain that the new standard won't be in place until the 2015-2016 season.

I'm fairly certain that the new standard won't be in place until the 2015-2016 season.

The only players not included in the current 925 number are Willie reed and salecich. It's also important to remember this is a four year average so when those guys get added the guys that left the program after majerus' first year will roll off the calculations.

Put another way, we may drop modestly because Willie flunked out but it won't be a big drop. And in future years when the transfer rate slows down the number will increase.

-did smif leave with academic issues?

-chris may was on kfns last week with coach grawer discussing this subject, was on the press box and they have a good pod cast link

I'm fairly certain JS was eligible whenever he left. CS was as well. Jordan was not.

99% sure that "academically eligible" and "academic progress" are not the same thing.

for example, let's say skip is on a college team and in the spring due to all the travel and such, drops a class or two. his gpa is fine, and he can easily make up the two classes over the summer.

however now skip decides to leave and transfer to harvard. as he leaves slu, he is technically no longer on pace to graduate, however once he makes up those classes which he will do when he arrives at Harvard, he will be fine to be eligible for harvard.

however, he still left slu behind in credit hours to be on pace to graduate. and thus would become a negative on slu's APR.

skip was never in jeopardy of being academically ineligible as he would have easily made up the dropped classes. however, because of timing and transferring he counted against the APR.

i am not positive that is the way it works, but that is the way it was explained to me and a very likely scenario of how a past billiken that transferred might have had the grades but still been a negative on the slu APR.

99% sure that "academically eligible" and "academic progress" are not the same thing.

for example, let's say skip is on a college team and in the spring due to all the travel and such, drops a class or two. his gpa is fine, and he can easily make up the two classes over the summer.

however now skip decides to leave and transfer to harvard. as he leaves slu, he is technically no longer on pace to graduate, however once he makes up those classes which he will do when he arrives at Harvard, he will be fine to be eligible for harvard.

however, he still left slu behind in credit hours to be on pace to graduate. and thus would become a negative on slu's APR.

skip was never in jeopardy of being academically ineligible as he would have easily made up the dropped classes. however, because of timing and transferring he counted against the APR.

i am not positive that is the way it works, but that is the way it was explained to me and a very likely scenario of how a past billiken that transferred might have had the grades but still been a negative on the slu APR.

When I say 'eligible' I mean that they didn't have to re-do any classes over the summer to be able to play ball the next year.. Jordan had to make up a few and failed to do so at Ball State and thats why he's at IUPUI now.

I honestly don't know exactly how the APR works. I don't think many do and that's part of the problem with the system.

When I say 'eligible' I mean that they didn't have to re-do any classes over the summer to be able to play ball the next year.. Jordan had to make up a few and failed to do so at Ball State and thats why he's at IUPUI now.

I honestly don't know exactly how the APR works. I don't think many do and that's part of the problem with the system.

you have proven to be right a lot in the past so i dont want to say you are wrong. but i will say that my scenario above is very typical for slu players in the past.

it is my understanding (admittedly third party info) jordan had double problems. not only behind in credits but also had subpar gpa that wouldnt allow classes to transfer. my understanding is he was a complete academic train wreck not seen at slu since randy pulley days.

you have proven to be right a lot in the past so i dont want to say you are wrong. but i will say that my scenario above is very typical for slu players in the past.

it is my understanding (admittedly third party info) jordan had double problems. not only behind in credits but also had subpar gpa that wouldnt allow classes to transfer. my understanding is he was a complete academic train wreck not seen at slu since randy pulley days.

I don't think we're really taking different stances here we're just looking at it all slightly differently. Jordan definitely had academic issues whenever he left. I'm not sure exactly to what extent those problems were but I do know he had a lot of work to do the summer after he left.

What's key now is that we continue to do a better job of keeping kids around and keeping them in good academic standing so whenever this new rules goes into place we won't be embarrassed as an institution.

it already kind of embarrassing that a school with the academic reputation of saint louis university is only beating a welding school in the conference APR.

it already kind of embarrassing that a school with the academic reputation of saint louis university is only beating a welding school in the conference APR.

I definitely agree. But at least we haven't lost scholarships because of it. And it would be a lot more embarrassing to be ineligible for post-season play because of it.

First of all Harvard poon is to smart to be fooled by my schtick even when I was younger, so there is no way I'd be transfering there. A more likely choice would be somewhere like Middle Tennessee Community College where the girls are probably hot but poon crushing is much easier. Hell, I might even have been able to pass a class there.

I definitely agree. But at least we haven't lost scholarships because of it. And it would be a lot more embarrassing to be ineligible for post-season play because of it.

Especially after all the crap that has gone on keeping us from it before. Well Said FDL

First of all Harvard poon is to smart to be fooled by my schtick even when I was younger, so there is no way I'd be transfering there. A more likely choice would be somewhere like Middle Tennessee Community College where the girls are probably hot but poon crushing is much easier. Hell, I might even have been able to pass a class there.

You sell yourself short, Skip. You could easily get into Middle Tennessee State University. (Or a similar directional school in, say, Carbondale, Illinois. ;) )