Willie Reed: Through Eyes of a scout

Alex Kennedy told me that Willie told him he was invited last year.

I guess I just don't see how that is possible. Maybe Willie meant he would have been invited if he had declared last year.

I wish the best for Willie and was starting to get excited about his draft prospects after reading some of the Vegas accounts but the fact he wasn't among the 54 invited to Chicago is not a good sign. Hope I'm wrong.

I guess I just don't see how that is possible. Maybe Willie meant he would have been invited if he had declared last year.

I wish the best for Willie and was starting to get excited about his draft prospects after reading some of the Vegas accounts but the fact he wasn't among the 54 invited to Chicago is not a good sign. Hope I'm wrong.

After talking to Alex again, I believe what WR meant to tell him was that he WOULD have been chosen.

Does anyone think that Willie would have been drafted after last season? I don't.

Does anyone honestly think Willie improved himself enough to make him a legit draft prospect while being removed from the game for a year?

Does anyone think that Willie would have been drafted after last season? I don't.

Does anyone honestly think Willie improved himself enough to make him a legit draft prospect while being removed from the game for a year?

I think that he would have been drafted yes.

I think that he would have been drafted yes.

Reading this just got me more po'd at how good we might have been this upcoming season had WR really put some effort into being a student. SLU gave him his shot, and one more year of college ball might have upped his draft value considerably.

Reading this just got me more po'd at how good we might have been this upcoming season had WR really put some effort into being a student. SLU gave him his shot, and one more year of college ball might have upped his draft value considerably.

How do you know or what makes you think that he didn't "really put some effort into being a student"? I suspect he put more effort into it than you ever had to. For some people there's a cultural divide that's very difficult to bridge.

How do you know or what makes you think that he didn't "really put some effort into being a student"? I suspect he put more effort into it than you ever had to. For some people there's a cultural divide that's very difficult to bridge.

you could be right, but I know people who have had class with Willie and theyve said he either doesn't show up or is on his phone or computer all of class.

I agree with your overall point that there are students who have greater difficulties due to cultural differences and thus they have to make greater efforts to succeed and still may not get the same results as the majority of other students. However, in Willie's case, I think there is definitely enough evidence out there to suggest that he didn't make much of an effort nor take being a student seriously. I don't think slu72 is out of line with his statement in this case.

I believed WR when he said he couldn't wait to get back to SLU and get himself squared away. But the more people posted what little effort he was putting into the books convinced me he plain quit on the commitment he made to himself and fans of SLU hoops. Yes, there are cultural blocks for some kids, but they can be overcome. What's required is effort. Clearly WR wasn't willing to give it. I'm not knocking him. It's his decision. And I wish him success in what ever he does and hope he fulfills his dream of playing in the NBA.