Zavier Turner

ACE

My saying RM is a lazy recruiter is an opinion based on facts. I'm not trying to claim I have direct information that RM is a lazy recruiter. That is my deduction based on way too much time spent following the Billikens over the last four years.

FDL,

Not asking for congrats. Just saying excuse me if I don't feel overwhelmed because people are a couple years older.

based on facts, but you have no direct info .... huh. My SAT wasn't nearly as good, so maybe it's just me that doesn't understand. You have no direct info, but you're sure your non direct info is factual ... again huh.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a point of parliamentary procedure here, but last time I checked, no one on this board is an assistant coach or is privy to Majerus' inside circle. If you are, be so kind as to raise your hand and state your name for the record.

Rumors and speculation are getting too many people on this board riled up/pissed off, whatever you want to call it. No one source has 100% credibility and rumors are like @$$holes - everybody has one and for the most part, they stink.

When a kid commits, it will be on the Scout/Rivals site and when that fax machine spits out his LOI, we'll know for certain. But until then, let's just chill out on saying NH is "over his head." He's trying to give us whatever inside knowledge he has. Who are you to say this kid doesn't know anything?

What good is it to lob stones at this kid? We're all fans of the same team here.

Actually, I am part of RM's inside circle. I provide RM with a car of the month every month. Like DeMarco Farr gets one from the Toyota place. He just returned his 92 Cavalier which was a sweet low mile (164k, just 8,600 miles per year) sport coupe riding on chrome 22's and kicking aftermarket Audiovox stereo. To replace it I just deliverd him a nice, though a bit more conservative 94 Geo Metro 4 door sedan. He'll really appreciate the tremendous gas mileage he gets with the highly economical Suzuki 3 cyl engine. Btw ... I'm surprised he doesn't pitch my place and his ride when he does radio shows.

No way that lazy RM is after yet another recruit this Spring. Just cannot believe it. No Porter = No recruiting. :lol:

Shouldn't RM be spending his limited time differently? like hanging out with local Sophomores who could really our team in 3 years rather than guys who would enroll at school in 3 months to help the team win now -- and help erase the failings of last year? :rolleyes: Local kids prefer talk (promises, phone calls and visits) over action (building a successful program with good players and wins), right?? We just have to show interest early and often enough, right?? :rolleyes:

Actually, I am part of RM's inside circle. I provide RM with a car of the month every month. Like DeMarco Farr gets one from the Toyota place. He just returned his 92 Cavalier which was a sweet low mile (164k, just 8,600 miles per year) sport coupe riding on chrome 22's and kicking aftermarket Audiovox stereo. To replace it I just deliverd him a nice, though a bit more conservative 94 Geo Metro 4 door sedan. He'll really appreciate the tremendous gas mileage he gets with the highly economical Suzuki 3 cyl engine. Btw ... I'm surprised he doesn't pitch my place and his ride when he does radio shows.

hahah like this car I was driving next to on Central Expressway in Dallas yesterday?

Posted Image

here's his page:

http://www.facebook.com/fbcar

No way that lazy RM is after yet another recruit this Spring. Just cannot believe it. No Porter = No recruiting. :lol:

Shouldn't RM be spending his limited time differently? like hanging out with local Sophomores who could really our team in 3 years rather than guys who would enroll at school in 3 months to help the team win now -- and help erase the failings of last year? :rolleyes: Local kids prefer talk (promises, phone calls and visits) over action (building a successful program with good players and wins), right?? We just have to show interest early and often enough, right?? :rolleyes:

so where are these kids aka signings, that will be here in 3 months?

so where are these kids aka signings, that will be here in 3 months?

Frankly, we may get none. Each Spring, RM has chased a number of kids while landing very few. If RM is getting an International transfer/recruit to play the following year, then maybe we shouldn't give so many out this Spring.

In any event, lazy = lack of effort. Clearly, the effort is present with RM and his staff. While being lazy (lack of effort) may diminish the chances of signing recruits, effort alone does not result in recruit signing with us. For instance, I personally believe that no one tried harder to recruit kids than Brad Soderberg did. Effort, determination, desire... were not missing with Brad. Good recruits actally signing were what was missing with Brad.

Frankly, we may get none. Each Spring, RM has chased a number of kids while landing very few. If RM is getting an International transfer/recruit to play the following year, then maybe we shouldn't give so many out this Spring.

In any event, lazy = lack of effort. Clearly, the effort is present with RM and his staff. While being lazy (lack of effort) may diminish the chances of signing recruits, effort alone does not result in recruit signing with us. For instance, I personally believe that no one tried harder to recruit kids than Brad Soderberg did. Effort, determination, desire... were not missing with Brad. Good recruits actally signing were what was missing with Brad.

Brad was the epitome of the old saying "Nice guys finish last."

Whoa! We are saving scholarships now and now that is ok?

Normally, I prefer NOT to save scholarships. But to give out scholarships just to give them out also makes no sense. I know that RM has a way of continuing to recruit and in making scholarships suddenly open but I have no problem saving a scholarship for this Fall. As things stand right now, we could sure use a replacement for WR but that does not appear to be realistic. Aside from an immediate impact big, we really don't need a Spring recruit to contribute next year -- other than to generally make the team better, deeper...

For instance, as to available point guards this Spring, we look rather full with KM having 2 more years and both MM and JJ having 3 more years. In fact, other than KC and BC, we are quite young with 5 really good Sophomores - last year's 4 guys plus JB. IMO, having a team full of veteran/expereienced players who are mostly Sophomores is mostly what is making it tough to land guys this Spring. If we save a scholarship to use next year, then we can sign 3 guys (not just 2) in the Fall. Frankly, if Fall recruits are generally better than Spring recruits, then this may be better than signing a kid now only to run him or someone off next Spring to then re-fill the schollie with a Spring (as opposed to a Fall) recruit.

Considering that we are still recruiting some players, RM is not taking the "save the scholarships" approach popularized by Sodie. Our current roster heading into next season is very unusual in Billikenland. We have 10 players who have played a lot of minutes and most heve been starters. We don't typically have rosters this deep and Sodie certainly never did when he "saved" the scholarships. We appear to have a lot of options at the 1-4 positions. We signed a 5 in the spring. Ideally there would be another big ready available this spring to step in and contribute, but there is not. So using a scholarship to land an athletic 3 makes sense. I hope we land Winters or Chievous with one schollie and pursue some transfer options with the last one. If that doesn't come together, then the worst thing we could do is waste a scholarship on a Horace or Obi. In fact, Sodie would land guys like that and then "save" the remaining schollies even though there were still some glaring weaknesses on his rosters.

Considering that we are still recruiting some players, RM is not taking the "save the scholarships" approach popularized by Sodie. Our current roster heading into next season is very unusual in Billikenland. We have 10 players who have played a lot of minutes and most heve been starters. We don't typically have rosters this deep and Sodie certainly never did when he "saved" the scholarships. We appear to have a lot of options at the 1-4 positions. We signed a 5 in the spring. Ideally there would be another big ready available this spring to step in and contribute, but there is not. So using a scholarship to land an athletic 3 makes sense. I hope we land Winters or Chievous with one schollie and pursue some transfer options with the last one. If that doesn't come together, then the worst thing we could do is waste a scholarship on a Horace or Obi. In fact, Sodie would land guys like that and then "save" the remaining schollies even though there were still some glaring weaknesses on his rosters.

five years later and you are still comparing rickma's performance to soderberg? i mean i wouldnt compare and assess performance based on some guy that got fired. might want to raise your standards ace.

five years later and you are still comparing rickma's performance to soderberg? i mean i wouldnt compare and assess performance based on some guy that got fired. might want to raise your standards ace.

Roy, YOU brought up the term "saving scholarships." As you know, that was a practice popularized by Sodie. Majerus is still actively recruiting, so why did you bring up "saving scholarships"?

Roy, YOU brought up the term "saving scholarships." As you know, that was a practice popularized by Sodie. Majerus is still actively recruiting, so why did you bring up "saving scholarships"?

ace, you arent stupid maybe in your zeal to try to make me look bad you now only read my posts. go read clock's post #31.

clock said, "If RM is getting an International transfer/recruit to play the following year, then maybe we shouldn't give so many out this Spring"

he brought it up.

ace, you arent stupid maybe in your zeal to try to make me look bad you now only read my posts. go read clock's post #31.

clock said, "If RM is getting an International transfer/recruit to play the following year, then maybe we shouldn't give so many out this Spring"

he brought it up.

I did bring it up. I, for one, have no problems with comparisons to our prior coaches - especially our most recent one.

Brad tried very hard and no one ever accused him of being lazy. Quite probably, Brad was not the best at judging talent, was slow to offer scholarship, may have alienated some in the AAU community, etc. IMO, Chaveitz just couldn't come quick enough for Brad. Maybe if Woolard was not so inept and alienating and could have actually done some real fundraising, Brad would have received the benefits of Chaifetz (possibly named otherwise w/ SLU still owing millions on it) and been able to survive long enough to overcome the lack of Presidential support by Fr. Biondi. Instead, he did not

RM, though, has come in an raised the talent level. If, as some suggest, the number of recruits landed indicates RM's level of energy, the RM has outworked every coach we have had in recent memory in that RM has fully used our scholarships while having a revolving exit door each Spring. Still, our resident high schooler calls this lazy.

he brought it up.

I know what Clock posted, but why did your response talk about "saving scholarships"? It's not a term Clock used. As you know, that expression was commonly used back when we had debates about Sodie's recruiting. That's because it was a term that BS commonly used. I've never heard Majerus use that expression, and it hasn't really been much of a topic during the RM era, so why bring it up?

Correct me if I am wrong, but RM accepted every player which Brad had offered scholarships to (3 players). Then, RM gave 7 scholarships his first full year, 6 scholarships the next year, 5 scholarships last year and 1 so far (w/ 2 more to give) this year. If my math is correct, that would be 22 scholarships!! If quantity of scholarships is any indication of energy levels, RM is far from lazy.

I know what Clock posted, but why did your response talk about "saving scholarships"? It's not a term Clock used. As you know, that expression was commonly used back when we had debates about Sodie's recruiting. That's because it was a term that BS commonly used. I've never heard Majerus use that expression, and it hasn't really been much of a topic during the RM era, so why bring it up?

ace now you are just being ignorant. clock defined "saving scholarships" with his post.

ace now you are just being ignorant. clock defined "saving scholarships" with his post.

Who is being ignorant? This was your response to Clock...

So if "saving scholarships" (an expression that happened to be used by our previous coach and not by Clock) is ok NOW, when was it NOT ok to save scholarships? What timeframe are you referring to?

Who is being ignorant? This was your response to Clock...

So if "saving scholarships" (an expression that happened to be used by our previous coach and not by Clock) is ok NOW, when was it NOT ok to save scholarships? What timeframe are you referring to?

that is all you and all the rickma worshippers have been saying for 4 years. how dumb it was to save scholarships. all should be filled. so clock posts saying it would be good to save scholarships, i question why that is now ok when all i've read from you and others for the last 5+ years was that was a stupid practice. if it was stupid then, why is it now ok?

If that doesn't come together, then the worst thing we could do is waste a scholarship on a Horace or Obi.

with rickma as our coach that is not a concern. he just recruits over them the next year, takes their scholarship away and on we go with bigger and better. but at least we have enough practice players. who knows, obi II or horace II might actually surprise.

now if we had a coach like soderberg that indeed did honor his word and keep those bad players for all four years, that would indeed be a problem. but remember, soderberg got fired. he wasnt a good coach and i wouldnt compare rickma to a coach like that. he is above that.

that is all you and all the rickma worshippers have been saying for 4 years. how dumb it was to save scholarships. all should be filled. so clock posts saying it would be good to save scholarships, i question why that is now ok when all i've read from you and others for the last 5+ years was that was a stupid practice. if it was stupid then, why is it now ok?

Thank you. Finally you are being straightforward. As I suspected, your comment about saving scholarships WAS in response to the criticism that Sodie received more than 5 years ago. It still stings and you just can't let go of Sodie.

I've been consistent... I'm still not thrilled about the practice of saving scholarships, but let's see how the rest of the recruiting period plays out. We are STILL recruiting.

with rickma as our coach that is not a concern. he just recruits over them the next year, takes their scholarship away and on we go with bigger and better. but at least we have enough practice players. who knows, obi II or horace II might actually surprise.

now if we had a coach like soderberg that indeed did honor his word and keep those bad players for all four years, that would indeed be a problem. but remember, soderberg got fired. he wasnt a good coach and i wouldnt compare rickma to a coach like that. he is above that.

Posted Image

Thank you. Finally you are being straightforward. As I suspected, your comment about saving scholarships WAS in response to the criticism that Sodie received more than 5 years ago. It still stings and you just can't let go of Sodie.

I've been consistent... I'm still not thrilled about the practice of saving scholarships, but let's see how the rest of the recruiting period plays out. We are STILL recruiting.

no you are wrong. i have said time and time again that soderberg wasnt good enough in hindsight. you and others are the ones that constantly bring soderberg up as a comparison point. you are the ones that cant let five years ago be history. i only point out we shouldnt compare to a failed coach as our comparison.

same with this saving scholarships, i am saying to clock, that if it was a failed method to save scholarships before, it should be the same today. but now for whatever reason, clock wants to save scholarships.