Marquette adds Lacrosse

bk18

Marquette added men's and women's Lacrosse teams. The sport is big out east. Makes me wonder if the A-10 will look to begin starting up some programs.

I still wish SLU would add a hockey team or started up the football program again. Athletics is a great way to spread the word about the school. It may cost a lot of money, but so do billboards all over the country.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/112044539.html

Marquette added men's and women's Lacrosse teams. The sport is big out east. Makes me wonder if the A-10 will look to begin starting up some programs.

I still wish SLU would add a hockey team or started up the football program again. Athletics is a great way to spread the word about the school. It may cost a lot of money, but so do billboards all over the country.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/112044539.html

Ive said this a few times before on this board but just to repeat...

SLU desperately needs a hockey team. A lacrosse team is a more minimal investment and as a lacrosse player myself i would love it. But STL is loaded with hockey talent that is leaving the area to pursue college and USHL dreams. Ive played hockey with a ton of kids from STL and everyone i have asked has answered the same way...."yeh if SLU had a hockey team I definitely would have played there". If I had the money and the clout I would be pushing for a team. Look at the frozen four rosters this year. SLU would be a top level program quickly if they added the sport.

I thought we had a club hockey team. Did that fall apart?

Anymore money on hockey than as a club sport would be a waste. Just ask Miami Ohio.

We have a club team. But no one takes it seriously. We need to get a side rink on campus and get ice on Chaifetz. An ice rink over in the Industrial Valley under the grand bridge would be nice. SLU students could use it as well as local hockey teams since its very close to 44 and 64. I think ice time is around $70 per hour. I would imagine that would cover the maintenance and operating costs and then some.

So in summary, this would likely cost 5-10 milllion dollars to start. Considering our endowment, that is a worthwhile investment, but Biondi is a penny pincher, so we'll have to wait and see.

We have a club team. But no one takes it seriously. We need to get a side rink on campus and get ice on Chaifetz. An ice rink over in the Industrial Valley under the grand bridge would be nice. SLU students could use it as well as local hockey teams since its very close to 44 and 64. I think ice time is around $70 per hour. I would imagine that would cover the maintenance and operating costs and then some.

So in summary, this would likely cost 5-10 milllion dollars to start. Considering our endowment, that is a worthwhile investment, but Biondi is a penny pincher, so we'll have to wait and see.

We could build a baseball stadium for a lot cheaper than that!

And you think they would take a Div 1 team any more seriously?

Basketball is the number one revenue generator for SLU sports and it still doesn't get the financial commitment it needs. If they put in the right money that would get it back over time. For whatever reason, they don't get that. There is no way they start a football team. I think it would be great, but no way. Could you imagine what a disaster that would be with lack of funding. The Baseball team is doing pretty good considering that get even worse financial neglect. If you add these other sports the money just gets spread thinner and thinner.

Personally, I would rather be very good at a few sports then bad at a bunch of them.

Basketball is the number one revenue generator for SLU sports and it still doesn't get the financial commitment it needs. If they put in the right money that would get it back over time. For whatever reason, they don't get that. There is no way they start a football team. I think it would be great, but no way. Could you imagine what a disaster that would be with lack of funding. The Baseball team is doing pretty good considering that get even worse financial neglect. If you add these other sports the money just gets spread thinner and thinner.

Personally, I would rather be very good at a few sports then bad at a bunch of them.

Very slowly we are building track field west

Of Compton in site of the rear end of the

Med school campus; the most important

Change would be PHD in sports medicine

Then you would get backing and bachelors

Degrees in PE

Very slowly we are building track field west

Of Compton in site of the rear end of the

Med school campus; the most important

Change would be PHD in sports medicine

Then you would get backing and bachelors

Degrees in PE

PhD in Sports Medicine? Isn't that an MD specialty?

and by PE degree, do you mean physical education degree?

I personally played for both the club lacrosse and club hockey teams here. Based off my experience the hockey program would need to reach out to the former players from back in the CCHA (Central College Hockey Association) and try to get them heavily involved. When I came to SLU a few years back the coach had blueprints laid out for a rink, which happens to be the research center. As for lacrosse, when I began as a freshmen it was basically a social club with no seriousness. By 2008, we were within reach of a conference title and a potential chance of making it to nationals but due a freshmen taking 9 credits we were forced to forfeit the entire season. With all this being said, is it possible to have both, probably not. There would need to be some house cleaning in the department office and some sports would need to go (I am sure everyone would agree on which could go). Plus hockey, is one of the most expensive sports. Between how much ice would cost, expenses for equipment, coaches salary, rink operations, travel, etc. You would be looking at least at somewhere near 500k maybe $2 Million. Lacrosse would be a tremendous addition to SLU, turn the soccer field into the natural turf SO EVERYONE CAN USE IT! Or at least utilize what I guess will be a multi-use field on the med school. A lacrosse game on a weekend would attract more coeds than a soccer game on any night. I am not saying that SLU would be king of the hill in either categories but there is enough local talent for both sports where they would be able to build a good base/starting point. In the meantime, I will be in the batting cages toughening up for men's league tryouts in January. Happy Holidays

I personally played for both the club lacrosse and club hockey teams here. Based off my experience the hockey program would need to reach out to the former players from back in the CCHA (Central College Hockey Association) and try to get them heavily involved. When I came to SLU a few years back the coach had blueprints laid out for a rink, which happens to be the research center. As for lacrosse, when I began as a freshmen it was basically a social club with no seriousness. By 2008, we were within reach of a conference title and a potential chance of making it to nationals but due a freshmen taking 9 credits we were forced to forfeit the entire season. With all this being said, is it possible to have both, probably not. There would need to be some house cleaning in the department office and some sports would need to go (I am sure everyone would agree on which could go). Plus hockey, is one of the most expensive sports. Between how much ice would cost, expenses for equipment, coaches salary, rink operations, travel, etc. You would be looking at least at somewhere near 500k maybe $2 Million. Lacrosse would be a tremendous addition to SLU, turn the soccer field into the natural turf SO EVERYONE CAN USE IT! Or at least utilize what I guess will be a multi-use field on the med school. A lacrosse game on a weekend would attract more coeds than a soccer game on any night. I am not saying that SLU would be king of the hill in either categories but there is enough local talent for both sports where they would be able to build a good base/starting point. In the meantime, I will be in the batting cages toughening up for men's league tryouts in January. Happy Holidays

I'm not sure we could agree. Which sports were you thinking of? I was actually thinking addition of women's scholarships would be the only way to go. There is absolutely no way a hockey, lacrosse or football team will EVER be added at SLU. Title IX is too much of a hinderance financially.

I'd be in favor of upgrading our baseball facilities before adding any additional sports. Once the proper resources are added to our existing sports, adding men's and women's lacrosse would be a smart move, and one I'd like to see.

Of course, as I sit here watching Villanova play in the FCS playoffs on ESPN, it makes me wish we had a football team too.

They did a study here for FGCU to start a football program and figured it would take around $100 million, but that figured included a stadium.