The madness has begun

kshoe

we can only speculate as to what their record would be if they played in a major conference but lets say they played in the ACC and had three losses. That is the exact same as Duke in conference. The facts are: they played all comers, did NOT schedule a bunch of "buy" games and played more games on the road than any other team in the top 25. Before todays loss their RPI (which means everything according to some) was #2 in the nation. They also beat Gonzaga.

More impressive than any of that, the SI jinx did not get them. Its a rare team or athlete that doesn't succumb to it (losing 3-4 weeks after the issue is not succumbing to it).

IMHO they still should get a No. 1 but as screwed up as the selection dudes make this most years, I won't be surprised if they slide to a No. 2. I have not heard any of the so called experts pick St. Joe's to win it all, but they are a veteran team with two of the best starting guards in the country and an excellent HC in Martelli. I do think their Achilles heel is in their front court players. They will be no picnic for anyone come Big Dance Tourney time.

it is a perfect opportunity for the smoke filled room to place miss st or ok st as a number 1 seed. just what makes their day. one of the big boys teams and another putdown of the small private school lesser conferences.

just for fairness, because i rarely give dukie vitale a break, he was raving about conference usa and the atlantic 10 after lunch today.

Unfortunately for Mizzou a win against texas A&M will actually lower their RPI, as TAM has an RPI >200. Thus I think that puts them in a situation where if they lose to Kansas they will have an RPI in the High forties........still could get in but the bubble would be getting thinner and thinner...

i believe they are the true best team in the country that got caught up in playing a tournament game they didnt need to play and xaiver despartly had to win. you see it every year where the top team in the conference coasts in the conference tourney because their place is assured and they really have little to play for. now i am sure they didnt want to lose let alone get blown out. but the game probably just got away from them.

that happens. just remember the likes of umkc blows out k state by 40 points a few nights before they played us. they come to town and i expect a mess of a team due to that score. they were a very nice team with very good athletes. they were not the team i expected to see.

now do i think st joes has the best overall roster top to bottom. no. they are thin. but nelson and west are without a doubt the best set of guards in the country and that carries them. i believe they could have won any conference in the country this year. so to make my long answer short.....yes, i believe st joes is the number one team in the country still. but i also believe they will now get at best a #2 seed. reality isnt fair.

So even a #2 seed ... should get them to the elite 8 and probably farther if they are really the best team. You may be right ... but I think that they make the sweet 16 ... but that is it unless they get to play an upset team ... or another overrated team such as Gonzaga.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

why is gonzaga over rated?

skip you ought to be an espn analyst. you would fit in fine buying into the bigger the better stuff they sell all the time.

to lose in the dance so that you can say "see I told you so". the fact is this is probably one of the most open tournaments I can ever remember. I have absolutely no idea who is going to win it all but if I could pick 4 teams to win it all, they would certainly be one of them.

Duke has 4 losses...thats a lot for a 1 seed even in the ACC. Stanford has played a weaker schedule than St. Joes. Do they not deserve a #1 either? Kentucky has four losses.

The fact is St. Joes has earned the right to the #1 givent their play for the entire season and I think they will do just fine in the NCAA tourney.

wanting to call for St. Joes in the dance for A-10 reasons I think I'll have to call for them just to prove the Slufanskips of the world wrong.

I'll also enter into a few intersting pools where you essentially buy teams in the hope fo them winning it all (not all that different from what Neuheisal did at Washington but for considerably less money) and St. Joes losing today will make them much cheaper to "buy".

BRoy,

Outside of the folks in Spokane, there isn't anybody that I know who is a bigger fan of the Zags. I would love to see them or St. Joes win it all. I actually think of the two the Zags have more of what it would take, as they have a front court that could bang with anyones in the country IMHO. The lack of a strong front court may be St. Joe's downfall in the long run. I think either one of them could win the four games in a row needed to get to the Final Four and then it is a crapshoot. I agree with the notion that this tourney is wide open and I see a number of teams that could win it all.