so what other head coach has had two final four banners stripped from the record book?

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/12087903

kentucky should be so proud to now be the proud home of this historic coach.

At least the fans of the State of Kentucky can have pride in their state's other big name program/school (U of L) which is headed by a coach of high moral character. Oh wait.... :)

At least the fans of the State of Kentucky can have pride in their state's other big name program/school (U of L) which is headed by a coach of high moral character. Oh wait.... :)

At this point, I think the fans are only left with saying "at least we're not from Tennessee."

My guess is that while they're making their Final Four accomodations they won't be thinking about their coaches moral character or lack thereof.

My guess is that while they're making their Final Four accomodations they won't be thinking about their coaches moral character or lack thereof.

You may be right about Louiville and Pitino but I sure hope the NCAA does something against Calipari. I know they want to give royalty programs like UK usually get a free pass, but I really believe that even the NCAA will have to punish Calipari and UK. The NCAA has been starting to set a precedent and most likely don't want to set that trend backwards. Just from the newclips I have read, "lack of institutional control" might apply assuming Calipari has insulated himself to the extent necessary.

You may be right about Louiville and Pitino but I sure hope the NCAA does something against Calipari. I know they want to give royalty programs like UK usually get a free pass, but I really believe that even the NCAA will have to punish Calipari and UK. The NCAA has been starting to set a precedent and most likely don't want to set that trend backwards. Just from the newclips I have read, "lack of institutional control" might apply assuming Calipari has insulated himself to the extent necessary.

I agree that a coach just shouldn't be able to wash his hands of any problems by leaving and going to another program. But are they going to put Kentucky on probabation for problems that occured at Memphis? What happened when Sampson went from OU to IU? Wasn't OU in trouble when he left? Did IU inherit any of those sactions?

I agree that a coach just shouldn't be able to wash his hands of any problems by leaving and going to another program. But are they going to put Kentucky on probabation for problems that occured at Memphis? What happened when Sampson went from OU to IU? Wasn't OU in trouble when he left? Did IU inherit any of those sactions?

No, and that same example did cross my mind when I was typing. Paul Biancardi did have sanctions follow him but that was OSU to Wright State -- which is not exactly royalty. Also, it took some of the pressure off OSU by nailing an up-and-coming but no-name coach at Wright State. Trying to compare, and frankly it is difficult and there are clear differences and I don't have all the facts, but the degree of cheating at Oklahoma (hundreds of improper contacts but not improper players) and the less high-profile nature (recruiting violations v. obvious college/NBA star which made a true impact), and the relative lack of priors, along with the obvious benefit of assisting Indiana (royalty) may be the reason IU was spared. Here, Calipari was the poster child of cheating in the 1980s with UMass and Camby - first Final Four. Then, leading Memphis to the Final Four again - and again cheating with an improper player/star player - just might too much for the NCAA to spare UK (royalty). I hope so.

how would you like to be in the room with the memphis president when he starts writing the check to pay back the ncaa tourney money already paid for their national championship runner up finish?

Going back to when I was about 6 or 7, UK was probably my favorite college basketball team behind SLU. I think it had something to do with my grandmother buying me a blue Kentucky sweatshirt when she took a trip down to Kentucky when I was little. It probably also had something to do with the fact that UK's colors were the same as SLU's.

Anyway, since most seasons did not see SLU play in the NCAA tournament, I would follow Kentucky's progress through the tournament. I really did like the teams that Pitino had at UK, and I still think that the 1995-96 team that won the national championship is the best college basketball team I've seen in my time following college basketball, which goes back to the early 1990's.

I hated seeing Pitino go to Louisville. If he had gone to Michigan, which was also also a possibility at the time, I might have become a Michigan fan. Still, there was no way I could wish Pitino well at Louisville. I just have too much dislike for that basketball program. Simply put, I was very disappointed to learn of Pitino's moral transgressions that have surfaced recently.

Since Pitino left UK basketball just didn't seem the same. They were still good until the last couple of year, but the team didn't have the same draw to me. Still, I wished them well and had some high hopes for Billy Gillispie there, but obviously it didn't happen. I've never liked Calipari, going back to when he was at UMASS. Back in the Spring when UK was looking for a coach, I decided that if they ended up hiring Calipari, I was done with that program. No more wishing them well, no more anything. They're just another college basketball team to me. I wash my hands of them.

Guys, all of us need to pay attention to this ruling., This is a case of BCS vs non BCS. What happened in this case was the clearing house cleared Rose to play, after the season was over they asked sent a letter to Rose asking him about the SAT test he took in Detroit, when he didn't respond, the NCAA invalidated the test without verifying if he took the test or not. When they invalidated the test they declared he was ineligible and therefore memphis used an ineligible player. There was never any discussion as to whether or not there was improprites or not just that he was ineligible.,

OK, why is this a BCS vs a non BCS? Think of this When Cory Magette took money from an agent for Duke, the NCAA let it die with no penalties. When it was proven that a Kansas player had grade changes in High School so he could play for Kansas, the NCAA said it happened before he went to Kansas even though he should have been declared ineligible and the season vacated for Kansas.

Think about the problems at USC, what has become of them, allegations there were much more serious then using a player that the NCAA already deemed eligible.

Remember the problems at Ohio State for paying a player, a slap on the wrist , no talk of vacating games in that case.,

If by chance SLU gets a player approved by the NCAA and subsequently they decide he was ineligible, we would get the same penalty or maybe worse.

Lost in all the Cal news... the Women's Golf Program was also investigated (They were cheating in a NON-REVENUE GENERATING SPORT!!)

From the ncaa website:

In the women’s golf case, the committee found that the former head women’s golf coach provided more than $3,000 in extra benefits to four golfers from 2004 to 2008, including gifts, airfare, lodging, NFL game tickets and meals. The former golf coach provided most of these impermissible benefits to one golf student-athlete, who received $2,764.45 in extra benefits and recruiting inducements.

In September 2004 and November 2007, the former head coach also provided several golf student-athletes impermissible restaurant meals during official paid visits of other prospective student-athletes.

The committee found that the former head coach failed to deport herself in accordance with the generally recognized high standards of honesty and sportsmanship normally associated with the conduct and administration of intercollegiate athletics. This finding was based on her knowing involvement in providing extra benefits to student-athletes and recruitment inducements to prospective student-athletes.

In addition, the former head coach provided false and misleading information to the university regarding the violations and refused to furnish requested information to the NCAA enforcement staff. The former head coach did not submit a response to the Committee on Infractions regarding the allegations and refused to participate in an interview with the enforcement staff.

Penalties:

Five-year show-cause penalty for the former head women’s golf coach (August 20, 2009, to August 14, 2014).

Limit of five equivalency scholarships for women’s golf from 2008-09 and 2009-10 academic years. This represents a reduction of one equivalency from the maximum of six equivalencies in women's golf. (Self-imposed by the institution.)

Beginning in April 2005 through the fall of 2007, one golf student-athlete received more than $2,700 in recruiting inducements and extra benefits. Because of this, the university must vacate of all match results in which the student-athlete participated.

No, and that same example did cross my mind when I was typing. Paul Biancardi did have sanctions follow him but that was OSU to Wright State -- which is not exactly royalty. Also, it took some of the pressure off OSU by nailing an up-and-coming but no-name coach at Wright State. Trying to compare, and frankly it is difficult and there are clear differences and I don't have all the facts, but the degree of cheating at Oklahoma (hundreds of improper contacts but not improper players) and the less high-profile nature (recruiting violations v. obvious college/NBA star which made a true impact), and the relative lack of priors, along with the obvious benefit of assisting Indiana (royalty) may be the reason IU was spared. Here, Calipari was the poster child of cheating in the 1980s with UMass and Camby - first Final Four. Then, leading Memphis to the Final Four again - and again cheating with an improper player/star player - just might too much for the NCAA to spare UK (royalty). I hope so.

I believe Biancardi was banned from recruiting...which makes it a little hard to be a head coach. Had the NCAA ban expired by the time Majerus brought him into SLU?