Practice today (11/5)

bauman

You gotta love Brad. He is INTENSE!! A quote from today, "If you're soft you can't play a competitive game, go play a soft game." He loves the intensity of AD, TF and CS, but was rather upset with most of the rest. Without using names, he jumped on 4 of the guys pretty good during the short time I was there-telling one that he always took the easy way out, questioning the heart and guts of two underclassmen and threatened to cut one of the players if he didn't pick up the effort. He has no tolerence for laziness or lack of effort. Today had to be a rude awakening for many of the players and they would have to be stupid to not get the message that they either play hard or they don't play!

They may not be the most skilled team we will see this year, but they will probably outwork most of our opponents.

On Sat. I noticed that he was frustrated but he seemed to go out of his way not to be too vocal. My guess is that he viewed the game tape and saw some lazy attitudes that lead to turnovers and it set him off. JJ must be the player who could be cut. His attitude needs serious adjustmen based upon what I observed. The bottom line is that Brad thinks this team can compete if they play with constant intensity and composure but we will struggle if we do not. I love the guy for his approach and his attitude.

Question: Has anyone heard of a possible scrimmage this weekend? At the end of Saturday's scrimmage I saw Brad talking to the refs and I thought I heard him say that he wanted them to come back the following week.

This is good to hear. Mental toughness and being mentally disciplined is not only the key to success on the basketball court, it is also the key to success in life. I really hope that these young men understand that the lessons they are learing (assuming they learn them) will serve them VERY well in their lives.

I think Brad wants, in the worst way, to be a winner, no "if, ands, or buts" about it. He hates to lose. He knows that to win with this team the players have to play to their absolute limits every minute, not sometimes. Again, that's how life is.

I didn't give a prediction about our season because I am no basketball expert, but based on what I have seen of Brad Soderberg, this team is going to win some games they are not suppose to win and surprise some teams that aren't as disciplined, but may be more talented. That is what will make Billiken basketball very exciting in 2003-2004.

It is allowed to talk about practice. The only thing I would think that would be out of bounds are specificically mentioning players names who are singled out or disciplined or describing tactics and strategies practiced for use against specific opponents. Otherwise everything else is fair game.

Coach Soderberg proved last season that he can flat out coach. He showed us this year that he can recruit too. We are darn lucky to have him at SLU, and I also look forward to an exciting brand of basketball this season. This team may lack talent, but with Coach Soderberg they won't be outhustled.

Thanks to those that keep us out of towners informed about the practices.

Well I'm glad to hear that coach sparked a little fire under their butts. Like I say he's a fair man, I'm sure he'll do what's necessary for the team. Whomever it may be. There's no I in team, and no one should be exempt from his frustration. From what I hear (since I can't see them) practices are very intense and that's good. Because if coach can see you busting your butt in practice, he's assured you'll do the same in games. If you're playing lifeless and display a negative attitude, i'm sure he couldn't count on you in games. It's that simple.

tsueg lighten up a little. I'm beginning to think you took over moderator duties from Thicks. I don't see what's wrong with someone giving a report on practice as long as they don't humiliate anyone. I think UB's got a little of the General in him, without the temper tantrum problems. Also, who on this board doesn't know this team is not going to out athletic many of our opponents. Their wins will come as the result of hard work, good D, and a tough mental attitude of "refuse to lose". Oops, hope Calipari doesn't sue me over the use of his copyrighted phrase.