Who cleans the glass next year?

There has been a lot of talk about who will score or shoot from the outside for the Billikens next year. However, after watching us get dominated on the boards against Xavier (and a few other teams like the Bonnies), I think rebounding may be a bigger problem. Our leading rebounder (Tommie) and 3 out of our top 5 (TL, BE, and KL) rebounders are going to be gone next year. Hopefully, Willie beefs up, Conklin and Thompson improve and the incoming freshman bigs can rebound. Otherwise this will be a huge problem next year as Willie gets pushed around or Brett is too slow to get rebounds.

Any thoughts?

There has been a lot of talk about who will score or shoot from the outside for the Billikens next year. However, after watching us get dominated on the boards against Xavier (and a few other teams like the Bonnies), I think rebounding may be a bigger problem. Our leading rebounder (Tommie) and 3 out of our top 5 (TL, BE, and KL) rebounders are going to be gone next year. Hopefully, Willie beefs up, Conklin and Thompson improve and the incoming freshman bigs can rebound. Otherwise this will be a huge problem next year as Willie gets pushed around or Brett is too slow to get rebounds.

Any thoughts?

i think it appears that rickma will employ a more conventional lineup (2 guards, 2 forwards, 1 center) going forward instead of either 3 or 4 guards on the floor like he did the last two seasons. that alone should help rebounds along with the fact that willie and thompson get physically stronger.

Well said Roy. I think it's possible that we'll be a better rebounding team because WR, BC, BT will have some additional strength and we'll add more front court players who can help us play a more traditional lineup.

We need offensive rebounds we are terrible in this area. A big part of the problem is our big guys tend to stray away from the basket , not that their three point shooting isn't needed. If you noticed Xaviers big guys they would come out set a pick and roll back down to the post. If the big guys are going to clear out like this than the guards need to attack the basket.

i think it appears that rickma will employ a more conventional lineup (2 guards, 2 forwards, 1 center) going forward instead of either 3 or 4 guards on the floor like he did the last two seasons. that alone should help rebounds along with the fact that willie and thompson get physically stronger.

Yeah, whatever happened to 2 guards, 2 forwards, and 1 center? It seems like so many teams are now playing 4 guards and 1 forward/center.

If SLU could have a taller 3 that could move, he should be able to post up against teams playing a de facto guard at the 3.

It seems to me there isn't much difference these days, especially on offense, between the 3 position (small forward) and the 2 position (shooting guard). Both are basically wings.

There was a time when both guards could handle the ball. Now there is a point guard and a shooting guard, clear lines of difference. And if you don't have a backup point guard, the starting point guard can wear out, especially in back to back games in tournaments.

There was also a time when the college game had real Centers. Now those types quickly jump to the NBA. Many teams playing now don't even list a Center.

As I see it, the problem with the conventional 2 guards, 2 forwards, and 1 center is a quickness issue. That's why SLU needs a 6'6" or 6'7" athletic 3, the kind that can move and shoot. Do any of these recruits fit this bill?

It appears that SLU's decades long search for a power forward has finally been solved.

Who cleans the glass next year? Willie Reed, Brett Thompson, and Brian Conklin. I have a feeling we will see significant improvement from all three of them.

As I see it, the problem with the conventional 2 guards, 2 forwards, and 1 center is a quickness issue. That's why SLU needs a 6'6" or 6'7" athletic 3, the kind that can move and shoot. Do any of these recruits fit this bill?

I think J. Smith is pretty darn close. I don't know how well he can shoot, but he seemingly meets the other things.

Any thoughts?

I don't do windows

We need offensive rebounds we are terrible in this area. A big part of the problem is our big guys tend to stray away from the basket , not that their three point shooting isn't needed. If you noticed Xaviers big guys they would come out set a pick and roll back down to the post. If the big guys are going to clear out like this than the guards need to attack the basket.

actually gary this year and last and even going back a couple of years to soderberg, slu would many times play 4 out and 1 in thus by sheer geometry, there is no one to rebound but maybe two people. even when rickma was truly using two forwards, the weakside guy was normally waiting at the oposite L of the free throw line in case the wing with the ball came across. thus not working to get rebounding position as much as trying to help free up guards for open looks.

plus like soderberg, typically rickma had at least two back for defensive balance that never crashed the boards.

so all in all i was actually impressed we did as well as we did offensive reboundingwise imo.

again, once our size on the floor increases, that mentality will shift away from that kind of tactical thinking.

Yeah, whatever happened to 2 guards, 2 forwards, and 1 center? It seems like so many teams are now playing 4 guards and 1 forward/center.

i believe it is a sign of the evolution of the game. back in the days when referees actually called fouls, having that size was a tremendous advantage. but now the zebras dont do their job and allow it all to happen and almost need to have a felony committed to blow their whistle. thus that big guy that gets hammered and cant finish is not the asset he was before when at least he would get to shoot free throws.

and the fast quick guard that used to get called for those reaches and slaps now gets away with it and conversely those turn into fast breaks. being fast helps on fast breaks ;)

i believe it is a sign of the evolution of the game. back in the days when referees actually called fouls, having that size was a tremendous advantage. but now the zebras dont do their job and allow it all to happen and almost need to have a felony committed to blow their whistle. thus that big guy that gets hammered and cant finish is not the asset he was before when at least he would get to shoot free throws.

and the fast quick guard that used to get called for those reaches and slaps now gets away with it and conversely those turn into fast breaks. being fast helps on fast breaks ;)

2 times in one day.

btw ... Andrew Jones is still and always has been overated, and being still overated is really sad as he isn't rated very high.

2 times in one day.

btw ... Andrew Jones is still and always has been overated, and being still overated is really sad as he isn't rated very high.

what's 2 times in one day? that we agree? lol

i will give you a pass on andruw jones. you want to remember the andruw for the last 3 years fine. i will remember the andruw before that. i am assuming you only bring andruw up so we can disagree. fine. ;)

what's 2 times in one day? that we agree? lol

i will give you a pass on andruw jones. you want to remember the andruw for the last 3 years fine. i will remember the andruw before that. i am assuming you only bring andruw up so we can disagree. fine. ;)

It was already twice in the same day we agreed, a third strike and I'd be out. :rolleyes: