why so little wright?

billiken_roy

when wright made that highlight reel dunk at the beginning of the game (whistled off for charging) my first thought was "oh god, we cant stop that guy?"

our best defense vs wright was genius gregory who sat wright almost half of the game and when in rarely gave him the ball (and he wasnt being face guarded by the billikens).

what a great night for the billikens. reed was spectacular and eberhardt stepped up when we needed him.

but the bottom line imo, rickma outcoached gregory so badly it was embarrassing for dayton.

when wright made that highlight reel dunk at the beginning of the game (whistled off for charging) my first thought was "oh god, we cant stop that guy?"

our best defense vs wright was genius gregory who sat wright almost half of the game and when in rarely gave him the ball (and he wasnt being face guarded by the billikens).

what a great night for the billikens. reed was spectacular and eberhardt stepped up when we needed him.

but the bottom line imo, rickma outcoached gregory so badly it was embarrassing for dayton.

Part of the reason he sat so much was picking up 2 fouls in the first 5 minutes of the game. The coach had to sit him.

Roy,

You are completely right on the fact that RM outcoached gregory.

It was not even close! RM rested players when they were gassed and always kept a solid line up out there. I think that gregory thought that a rested wright could propel UD to a win in the last 8 minutes.

I wish we could start the season over right now and watch us win 23 games.

I would like to think that this season is right where we had hoped it would be. Gregory said it himself, there is no team in the league playing better than us right now. That is what happens when freshmen mature and teaching sinks in and a team persona is defined. I take some credit for that --- two games ago I said Conklin seemed to be regressing and he has turned it around. All because of me!

Seriously though --- Willie didn't play last year and while we all agree he is a work in progress, its a nice work. I can honestly say that since 1975, I have never seen a Billiken front court player with this kind of untapped potential. Yes, Kelvin Henderson and Anthony Bonner developed over time but they didn't come in with the same fanfare or attention that these freshmen have. More and more folks are starting to like what Brett Thompson is bringing and we all know how big men take a while to catch up with their growth spurts. And we have two of them with Cody Ellis on the way and possibly Remuken in a redshirt year. The future is bright!

Kwamian Mitchell is the POY on this team. Last week, in talking about his concussion at Temple, Steve Lappas on CBSCS said the concussion "must've knocked him into his sophomore year." He is playing that well, last night notwithstanding. Conklin is a gamer and there's always a place on a team for his ilk. Cassity is developing and when you add that all together, it took this long into the season to get to a certain comfort level. This is what I had hoped for and we are peaking just nice. Again, the future is bright.

The future however is not NOW! the next two games could temper this euphoria very easily. We don't do well against the Bonnies and Duquesne is also on the road. La Salle is a nice team but I believe we win at home on Senior Night. Which takes us into AC. There is no rush, no absolute need to win in AC although doing so would give us an unexpected NCAA berth. It woudl be freaking FANTASTIC to do so and that's my goal but if we don't get there, I won't be as down as in years past. The future is bright but this is the first time I don't feel that the season is fatalistic. There is a continuing light at the end of the tunnel. Five freshmen return. One comes off redshirt and another five are lined up to come in.

Coupled with the turnout at the on-campus arena last night and the students getting involved, now this, THIS is a basketball program! One has to admit that things are looking incredibly up!

In Rick you have to trust. You may not necessarily agree with it all, but you have to trust.

I would like to think that this season is right where we had hoped it would be. Gregory said it himself, there is no team in the league playing better than us right now. That is what happens when freshmen mature and teaching sinks in and a team persona is defined. I take some credit for that --- two games ago I said Conklin seemed to be regressing and he has turned it around. All because of me!

Seriously though --- Willie didn't play last year and while we all agree he is a work in progress, its a nice work. I can honestly say that since 1975, I have never seen a Billiken front court player with this kind of untapped potential. Yes, Kelvin Henderson and Anthony Bonner developed over time but they didn't come in with the same fanfare or attention that these freshmen have. More and more folks are starting to like what Brett Thompson is bringing and we all know how big men take a while to catch up with their growth spurts. And we have two of them with Cody Ellis on the way and possibly Remuken in a redshirt year. The future is bright!

Kwamian Mitchell is the POY on this team. Last week, in talking about his concussion at Temple, Steve Lappas on CBSCS said the concussion "must've knocked him into his sophomore year." He is playing that well, last night notwithstanding. Conklin is a gamer and there's always a place on a team for his ilk. Cassity is developing and when you add that all together, it took this long into the season to get to a certain comfort level. This is what I had hoped for and we are peaking just nice. Again, the future is bright.

The future however is not NOW! the next two games could temper this euphoria very easily. We don't do well against the Bonnies and Duquesne is also on the road. La Salle is a nice team but I believe we win at home on Senior Night. Which takes us into AC. There is no rush, no absolute need to win in AC although doing so would give us an unexpected NCAA berth. It woudl be freaking FANTASTIC to do so and that's my goal but if we don't get there, I won't be as down as in years past. The future is bright but this is the first time I don't feel that the season is fatalistic. There is a continuing light at the end of the tunnel. Five freshmen return. One comes off redshirt and another five are lined up to come in.

Coupled with the turnout at the on-campus arena last night and the students getting involved, now this, THIS is a basketball program! One has to admit that things are looking incredibly up!

In Rick you have to trust. You may not necessarily agree with it all, but you have to trust.

AMEN! :D