SLU-St. Joe's game story

Guest BillikenReport

Roy -- tell me you brought a white t-shirt and put it on over the sweater vest!

I got to say --- from the TV view, the "white out" outside the student section and the band, was pure pitiful. If we don't do better, cock-eyed ideas like skip's "Billiken Speedo Man Night" are going to take root and grow in the vacuum. Please, don't patronize ideas like skip's.

I can't help it if Roy won't look as good in a speedo as I do.

How about the guy sitting next to you Roy (is he your brother) why couldn't he wear white?

to be top ten of all time in assists and not even have been a point guard for more than about an average of 5 minutes a game at most imo says he is a good passer. how many other off guards that were very good basketball players at slu for the entire program's history does that eclipse?

if he isnt a good passer, then i would say that means that slu has pretty much had zero passers over the ages comparatively.

Kevin had one of his best passing games at SLU last night, and his passing has improved the last several weeks (perhaps the staff has been working with him on it), but he has not been a great passer even by Billiken standards. Over this recent string of wins, Kevin appears to be doing a better job of not forcing penetration and distributing.

The best Billiken passer ever was H. Larry Hughes was a close second. Roder and Newberry were excellent passers back in their day. Fisher was not flashy but was still an excellent passer. I think Cassity will be among the best Billiken passers before he hangs it up.

It seems to me that in the "magical Majerus offense" excellent passing is critical.

to be top ten of all time in assists and not even have been a point guard for more than about an average of 5 minutes a game at most imo says he is a good passer. how many other off guards that were very good basketball players at slu for the entire program's history does that eclipse?

if he isnt a good passer, then i would say that means that slu has pretty much had zero passers over the ages comparatively.

i am not saying he is cousy but all in all, no one has any business questioning kevin lisch's passing skills when the entire body of work is looked at.

as to the rest of his offensive game, to again question that is also ridiculous. looking at where he will end up ranking in any offensive category says he is a deserving hall of famer for the billikens.

I'd be willing to sub good for great in my comments. I don't think Kevin is a poor passer with poor court vision. However, I do not think he is a great passer, nor do I believe he has great court vision. I do believe Kevin needs to be surrounded with some other players to enhance his game. And, one could say who doesn't need that? And I'd say there are some who can do a little more with less, more so than he does at a similar high level, if that makes sense.

It's fair to say Kevin has really declined his offensive two point shooting percentage this season, down 6 plus percent. He's missed some open looks when baskets were needed at times this year.

Kevin is not without constructive criticism, even when it comes to offense. You can argue that all you want. No one said he hasn't been a very good player for SLU and a good kid, etc..

It's fair to question his 9 more turnovers than assists his Frosh year as it was found out quickly that he wasn't going to be a point guard and at best somewhat of a combo guard, but mostly a two guard in his career. His ball handling to this day is not good enough, nor consistent enough to be a point guard. Kevin does a lot of things well, and I've mentioned many of them. And, SLU will need his points to keep winning games. I have no doubts that Lisch stacks up quite well over four years than many past SLU players. Some of his numbers are flat over four years, i.e. 3 pt percentage, FT's, solid steady, and good from the start but not necessarily significantly better over four years.

Tommie Liddell has equally done as well as Lisch, but I'd say fairly and correctly that his lack of a killer instinct some of the time, has hindered his ability to take over games, which is something well within his ability some of the time.

Both players will be very difficult to replace and doing so will take a few seasons and perhaps more than two players, but it's entirely fair to be constructive when discussing their play.

Roy -- tell me you brought a white t-shirt and put it on over the sweater vest!

I got to say --- from the TV view, the "white out" outside the student section and the band, was pure pitiful. If we don't do better, cock-eyed ideas like skip's "Billiken Speedo Man Night" are going to take root and grow in the vacuum. Please, don't patronize ideas like skip's.

I went in the Chaifitz store to buy a long sleeve white T an hour before tip off .... they had a few XL's no 2X's. Why didn't they have a thousand long and a thousand short sleeve white T's with a Billiken face or SLU on the front on sale at a table for $8 and $12. I can get white T's with a design for about $3. per short sleeve and about $6. for a long sleeve easily. At a cost of 9K for a grand of each they'd only have to sell less than half of each to break even and at those prices they may have sold out grossing over 10K. I'd have brought 1 of each. BTW the long sleeve T's they sell in the store for $19.95 are the cheap Gilden brand that you can get for cheap. Like usual no planning ahead.

no wore the billiken club mock turtleneck we rec'd a few years back. heck they were selling $5 white tshirts at the gift shop there was absolutely no excuse for not conforming. for once i would have supported guy phillips ridiculing the fans that didnt make the grade on something.

again, those that didnt go blizzard should be ashamed of themselves.

I don't think Guy was wearing white last night.

Kevin had one of his best passing games at SLU last night, and his passing has improved the last several weeks (perhaps the staff has been working with him on it), but he has not been a great passer even by Billiken standards. Over this recent string of wins, Kevin appears to be doing a better job of not forcing penetration and distributing.

The best Billiken passer ever was H. Larry Hughes was a close second. Roder and Newberry were excellent passers back in their day. Fisher was not flashy but was still an excellent passer. I think Cassity will be among the best Billiken passers before he hangs it up.

It seems to me that in the "magical Majerus offense" excellent passing is critical.

The team's passing has gotten noticeably better as the season has progressed.

How about the guy sitting next to you Roy (is he your brother) why couldn't he wear white?

and i blistered him and his son for not wearing white.

and i blistered him and his son for not wearing white.

Congratulations on a great victory. Martelli and Majeris have been around a long time and it was great to watch the late game strategies. Billikin freshmen have come a long way and are hitting their prime at the right time. Right now I see the A-10 tournament as being wide open for the taking by anyone. Seems the weaker teams (early season) are coming around and ripe for taking down the big dogs.

Good Luck with Dayton, it is a winnable game as they are inconsistant.