Next 3 Games Are Really Important

i would add the siu, kent state and nebraska losses. while nebraska is having a decent season and siu has been up and down, imo those were games we shoulda coulda won if the good billiken team shows up. kent state at the time i felt would be a player in their conference and the loss then didnt hurt beyond the fact that it was a one man going crazy show that you dont see often. looking back now, another mediocre team we probably should have won.

so now adding those 3 wins also, we would be 20 - 4 right now, and likely in the ncaa picture.

That's a huge swing, adding 5 wins to the record. You have to figure that some of our wins were close ones and other teams are looking at them saying, "We shoulda coulda beat SLU." BC is probably tops on that list.

Carbondale is a very tough place to play even when they're down. Nebraska is having a nice year against a solid schedule. Kent State is down from where they normally are and I would say that was the most realistic one of the three to win, since it was at home and went to OT.

Detroit is our only completely inexcusable loss. That team is just bad. DePaul is at least in the Big East, Temple and Dayton are both solid and were on the road, and Richmond is a twice-a-season conference opponent- though I would put that as our second or third-highest "shoulda coulda won" loss.

i would add the siu, kent state and nebraska losses. while nebraska is having a decent season and siu has been up and down, imo those were games we shoulda coulda won if the good billiken team shows up. kent state at the time i felt would be a player in their conference and the loss then didnt hurt beyond the fact that it was a one man going crazy show that you dont see often. looking back now, another mediocre team we probably should have won.

so now adding those 3 wins also, we would be 20 - 4 right now, and likely in the ncaa picture.

While I also certainly play this game in my head, we could have just as easily lost to Richmond, Duquesne, Liberty, BC, and/or Fresno State. Most teams win a few nail-biters and lose a few as well. Very few teams win all their close games (Dayton is one of the few exceptions).

Yes, I think if we played Kent State, Detroit, and Depaul again we'd probably win now, as we have progressed, but I also think a team like BC would probably beat us at this point.

While I also certainly play this game in my head, we could have just as easily lost to Richmond, Duquesne, Liberty, BC, and/or Fresno State. Most teams win a few nail-biters and lose a few as well. Very few teams win all their close games (Dayton is one of the few exceptions).

Yes, I think if we played Kent State, Detroit, and Depaul again we'd probably win now, as we have progressed, but I also think a team like BC would probably beat us at this point.

Agreed. The Detroit game is the only one I look back and say that our team at that point in the season should have won that game.

my point was to illustrate exactly how fine the line is for a program to be wallowing in "woulda coulda shoulda" and chest thumping. yes 5 games either way makes or breaks a season.

Compared to my game by game list of predictions before the season (which is hanging up in my office), We're three games better than I thought we'd be. I had us losing two in Vegas, losing to U-Mass at home and falling at Richmond. All others went as predicted. I had us finishing up at 16 - 16. Therefore, should the rest of my picks hold true we'll be 19-13.

Before the season, I think a lot of us would have been happy with 19 wins considering all of the freshman.

-is it just me or do others see that some folks who complained about our schedule being an albatross to the ncaa tourney are now saying if we would have won more of the games on our schedule we would be in the hunt??

-good to have it both ways!!!

so you dont think we could have taken four of the 6 gimmee level opponents and scheduled instead 4 mid majors in the 120 rpi range and won those games also? i do. i am sorry you dont think our billikens are good enough to beat teams of that ilk.

btw, that is both ways. we could indeed have had that.

-is it just me or do others see that some folks who complained about our schedule being an albatross to the ncaa tourney are now saying if we would have won more of the games on our schedule we would be in the hunt??

-good to have it both ways!!!

i believe the A-10 is having an up year and that is why we are even in the hunt for the NIT. RI, Dayton, and Xavier are having decent years. Since those games fall at the end of our schedule, we have a legitamite chance to really improve our RPI with a few wins. I'm interested to see how we handle Dayton. if dayton and/or xavier gets knocked off in the conference tourny, we've got a realistic shot to run the table. we REALLY need that 4 seed for a bye.

so you dont think we could have taken four of the 6 gimmee level opponents and scheduled instead 4 mid majors in the 120 rpi range and won those games also? i do. i am sorry you dont think our billikens are good enough to beat teams of that ilk.

btw, that is both ways. we could indeed have had that.

-using kenpom stats that are a couple days old (through 2/15 games)

-look at the record against teams with kenpom ranks from 98-147, it is 3 and 5, so sure we have beaten some in the 120 rpi range (using all games)

-all of the wins at home

-2 losses at home

-earliest win of these games was dec 19, the 9th game of the season

-we did beat #58 ranked BC in the 2nd game

-we did lose to the 221 and 261 ranked teams also

-our team is so inconsistent, in my mind as easily as we could have won one to 4 of your proposed games we could have just as easily lost one to 4 of them

date h/a/n w/l kenpom

11/19/2008 H L 114

11/22/2008 H W 58

11/25/2008 A L 63

11/29/2008 A L 261

12/2/2008 A L 146

12/6/2008 H W 324

12/13/2008 H W 262

12/17/2008 H W 292

12/19/2008 H W 147

12/22/2008 N L 221

12/23/2008 N W 194

12/30/2008 H W 264

1/2/2009 H W 299

1/8/2009 A L 24

1/14/2009 H W 128

1/17/2009 H W 214

1/22/2009 A L 44

1/25/2009 H L 122

1/29/2009 A L 77

1/31/2009 A W 319

2/4/2009 H W 98

2/8/2009 H W 122

2/11/2009 H W 140

2/14/2009 A L 65

show me a plus 70 rpi team that won 9 out of their last ten games that got an at large berth. it just doesnt happen.

Washington got in with an RPI in the 70's in Romar's first(?) year. It was because of their strength down the stretch. The committee is very much human and they are given several tools. The RPI is important because it informs directly and indirectly all the information presented.

-using kenpom stats that are a couple days old (through 2/15 games)

-look at the record against teams with kenpom ranks from 98-147, it is 3 and 5, so sure we have beaten some in the 120 rpi range (using all games)

-all of the wins at home

-2 losses at home

-earliest win of these games was dec 19, the 9th game of the season

-we did beat #58 ranked BC in the 2nd game

-we did lose to the 221 and 261 ranked teams also

-our team is so inconsistent, in my mind as easily as we could have won one to 4 of your proposed games we could have just as easily lost one to 4 of them

date h/a/n w/l kenpom

11/19/2008 H L 114

11/22/2008 H W 58

11/25/2008 A L 63

11/29/2008 A L 261

12/2/2008 A L 146

12/6/2008 H W 324

12/13/2008 H W 262

12/17/2008 H W 292

12/19/2008 H W 147

12/22/2008 N L 221

12/23/2008 N W 194

12/30/2008 H W 264

1/2/2009 H W 299

1/8/2009 A L 24

1/14/2009 H W 128

1/17/2009 H W 214

1/22/2009 A L 44

1/25/2009 H L 122

1/29/2009 A L 77

1/31/2009 A W 319

2/4/2009 H W 98

2/8/2009 H W 122

2/11/2009 H W 140

2/14/2009 A L 65

obviously you have a much lesser opinion of our team than i do. i am sorry you arent more positive about our team and think we are not capable of switching four of our gimmee games for 4 125ish rpi teams and winning just because we slipped vs detroit.

my point is slips indeed do happen. and if you have other decent games to win you can overcome the rpi hit you just took with a slip. but if you have 6 or 7 nasty gimmee games instead, they wont help you at all. true if you lose a game it is likely worse than winning those gimmee games, but if that happens you dont deserve it anyway. i would prefer to think i got a chance to overcome my other loss because i have a strong schedule i can fall back on when my team wins.

-roy, the sanctimony can stop any time

-there is more than the "slip vs detroit" that forms my view

-it is not about the "slips", as you said it is about winning the games that are played and we lost to some bad teams

-but we lost to these bad teams during our frosh's early career college games

-i do not see the point of throwing these kids to the lions in nov and early dec

-in 2 yrs when we have jr's and sophs, let's go, but not this yr and not next yr

-you and i have different views on this yr's schedule and i'll predict next yr's as well, so be it