Xavier and Wake Forest.....

gister

Here is a quote from the A-10 website. Thought it might be of interest.

Xavier And Wake Forest To Begin Skip Prosser Classic Beginning In 2010

2/2/2009 - Wake Forest University and Xavier University have agreed on a 10-year basketball series starting next season that will be known as the Skip Prosser Classic. Prosser was at Xavier University for 15 years from 1985-2001, including as the Xavier head coach from 1994-2001, and at Wake Forest as head coach from 2001 until his death in 2007. His legacy remains strong at each school.

2/2/2009 - Wake Forest University and Xavier University have agreed on a 10-year basketball series starting next season that will be known as the Skip Prosser Classic. Prosser was at Xavier University for 15 years from 1985-2001, including as the Xavier head coach from 1994-2001, and at Wake Forest as head coach from 2001 until his death in 2007. His legacy remains strong at each school.

X is breathing that rarefied air of a Mid Major being a major. Gonzaga lives in that world as well, and Butler is knocking on the door.

I'd start a 10 year series with Utah or Washington if either wanted to do so. In honor of Brad, maybe Wisconsin would start one. :lol:

I'd start a 10 year series with Utah or Washington if either wanted to do so. In honor of Brad, maybe Wisconsin would start one. :lol:

Or we could just schedule Loras. Wouldn't be a shocker to anyone who's followed the program for the last dozen years.

USC -- no, not Southern Cal - U of South Carolina Upstate Truck Design School and Kudzu Control Program

Samford -- no, not Stanford -- more like the show with Red Foxx.

Talk about space-age RPI cushioning.

Or we could just schedule Loras. Wouldn't be a shocker to anyone who's followed the program for the last dozen years.

USC -- no, not Southern Cal - U of South Carolina Upstate Truck Design School and Kudzu Control Program

I think this year's SLU scheduling was a case of won-loss record cushioning, which is not all bad considering all the freshmen that SLU is playing this year. SLU's RPI has suffered as a result, but I'm confident that SLU is better than just the 173rd best team in college basketball, and I suspect other schools know that as well.

I'm sure Coach Majerus would like to beef up future schedules, but it takes two to tango.

Also, keep up your enthusiasm for SLU, Metz. SLU needs more guys like you on its side.

How about a 10 year series with ... Marquette ... call it the Ed Hickey/Hank Raymonds Challenge.

I'd love to see us start a long term series with someone. The one thing I think SLU basketball is really missing is a legitimate rival.

I would be fine with any of these schools as a long term series that could grow into a fun rivalry:

Marquette

Creighton

Notre Dame

Gonzaga

DePaul

Memphis (Short drive and Beal Street is fun)

Others?

I think this year's SLU scheduling was a case of won-loss record cushioning, which is not all bad considering all the freshmen that SLU is playing this year. SLU's RPI has suffered as a result, but I'm confident that SLU is better than just the 173rd best team in college basketball, and I suspect other schools know that as well.

I'm sure Coach Majerus would like to beef up future schedules, but it takes two to tango.

Also, keep up your enthusiasm for SLU, Metz. SLU needs more guys like you on its side.

Damn right it does, Bay Area. Happy to oblige. I heart the Billikens.

We'll hopefully be adding one more Metzinger to the SLU ranks in August and there's a good chance she'll be suiting up for coach Champion's soccer squad as well. She'll be making another trip down from Peoria for the Dayton game.

I'd love to see us start a long term series with someone. The one thing I think SLU basketball is really missing is a legitimate rival.

I would be fine with any of these schools as a long term series that could grow into a fun rivalry:

Marquette

Creighton

Notre Dame

Gonzaga

DePaul

Memphis (Short drive and Beal Street is fun)

Others?

It would be nice to play those schools but none of them would consider SLU a "rival."

I'd like to see us play 3-5 NonCon games against brother Jesuit schools every year.

A series with Marymount would give us some west coast exposure every-other-year in Los Angeles.

A series with Creighton would be a good Valley opponent and since we get a bunch of kids from Creighton Prep every year, we play them in St. Louis in November and schedule them in Omaha during Christmas so the CP kids can go root on the Bills at the Qwest Center.

A series with Georgetown billed as the two oldest and most prestigious Jesuit schools in the country. It would be a classic rivalry.

We know what Gonzaga does, but it would be nice to get them involved. We know that a resumed rivalry with Marquette would be bigger and better than ever with Majerus now on the Frost campus of Saint Louis University than on the MU campus.

Maybe we slide in a St. Peter's or Fairfield now and again or Canisius, but it would be nice to play LMU or Creighton every year. It beats Savannah State and Grambling.

Screw BC. Them going to the ACC made them too big for their britches.

Did not Marquette's move to the Big East do the same thing for them? Disclaimer: I'm not a Marquette hater.

Marquette, Xavier, and Creighton will be among the teams playing in next season's Old Spice Classic in Orlando. (Gonzaga and Georgetown took part this past year.)

http://www.oldspiceclassic.com/release120108.html

As for Big East Teams, this is the first year they have gone to an 18 game schedule, from the previous 16, which of course reduces those opportunities for games by two.

Marquette, Dayton, Xavier, amongst those in the Chicago Invitational Challenge the past two seasons.