GDT: SLU Billikens vs. Dayton Flyers

jimbofive

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why? It's pretty stupid to say that he's pretty much the only one disappointed by the loss. Out of all the Billiken fans on this board, he's the only one that's disappointed. Um. Ok.

Did you ignore his post before that where he was commenting on the one poster that said a close loss to Dayton was just about better than a win against some other teams? So obviously, not all posters are disappointed. And I don't think he really meant that he was the only one but judging from some other's comments on here, he probably felt that way.

Why is that? I can't say I've read a lot of his posts before but I think he is dead on with this one. Some Bills fans remind me of Mizzou football fans in the pre Pinkel days. People were happy with playing a good game against Nebraska or Oklahoma or going 7-5 on the year because it was better than what the program had done for a long time. Well Pinkel game in and said "F" the moral victories and the whole attitude of the program and the fans attitude changed. Most Mizzou football fans that I know, while happy with another trip to the Big 12 Championship game, were disappointed with the year as a whole. That's a big difference from where they were 6 years ago.

It didn't happen overnight at Mizzou, it took time. I guarantee you Pinkel though not happy with being mediocre knew that it wouldn't happen overnight and found satisfaction in the steps they made along the way. It's a process, we realize that, we hate to lose ... but at least I and it seems many others find satisfaction in the progress we are making when our freshmen play well. We were overmatched in terms of experience, but with that said KM was one of the best players on the floor as a freshman. Willie had some good moments and ended up with 9 boards and for the first time I saw Kyle play with a purpose. Add to that we seemed to play hard the entire game, yes, it sucks we lost ... but in that loss, I see a bit of light at the end of the tunnel.

Did you ignore his post before that where he was commenting on the one poster that said a close loss to Dayton was just about better than a win against some other teams? So obviously, not all posters are disappointed. And I don't think he really meant that he was the only one but judging from some other's comments on here, he probably felt that way.

No, he did the norm on here .... read 1 or 2 posters opinions and then refer to it as everybody, you all, or something of the sort.

The guy gets his kicks out of being negative ... btw, I beat my kids ass this morning because I saw another kid his age ran 100 meters in 11.3 seconds and he could only do it in 11.7. He tried to tell me it was because he just started training to sprint and was a bit behind the kids that had been doing it longer. But hey, I'm not going to accept excuses or settle for mediocrity ... so, I beat his ass ... he damn well better run faster next time.

It didn't happen overnight at Mizzou, it took time. I guarantee you Pinkel though not happy with being mediocre knew that it wouldn't happen overnight and found satisfaction in the steps they made along the way. It's a process, we realize that, we hate to lose ... but at least I and it seems many others find satisfaction in the progress we are making when our freshmen play well. We were overmatched in terms of experience, but with that said KM was one of the best players on the floor as a freshman. Willie had some good moments and ended up with 9 boards and for the first time I saw Kyle play with a purpose. Add to that we seemed to play hard the entire game, yes, it sucks we lost ... but in that loss, I see a bit of light at the end of the tunnel.

Agreed. I think many of us are critical and have been disappointed with the outcome of some of our games this year, but at the same time encouraged by what we have in the pipeline. I have a lot of questions at this point, but those should be answered within the next couple of years and if not I am sure I will be looking for us to go another direction. Losing to Dayton by 1 at UD Arena when Tommie and Kevin did not give us much is certainly encouraging.

Was Mitchell fouled?

Am I seeing things through my Billiken Blue hued glasses? On the one replay I saw, I thought I saw the Dayton defender hit Mitchell's arm while he was in the act of shooting that last second shot.

Of course the wretched ball barely went off the front of the rim. It looked like it was going to go in. It's the Billikens; balls like that tantalizingly go off the rim.

If there was a foul, we know the A-10 zebras are not going to give SLU the call, not in the last seconds that would be game dispositive, and certainly not on the road at Dayton.

Let's play a decent game and beat Fordham in The Bronx on Saturday night. My son is a soph at Fordham and will be at the game. He's been to 2 SLU home games with me this year and probably knows more about the SLU team than the Fordham team. Obviously, for household reasons, I personally would appreciate a win on Saturday night.

The defender is entitled to that space. It possibly could have been a home call, which imo would have been the wrong call. The foul on Reed's rebound, on Reed, a little bit prior, was the wrong call as well.

I feel like I am the only one frustrated on here that we lost. Its so disappointing. But others are content to accept a "moral victory" as you say. There is nothing like stories of the glory years of TL and KL when you came oh so close to winning a road game.

I'll bite. Why not? No one likes to lose, especially one point road games where the game winning shot goes in and out.

However, some have a different perspective, and realize SLU has no Sophomore of merit, no Juniors, and only three Seniors, only two of whom have played for more than one season at this level. SLU didn't recruit Derrick Rose, or Carmelo Anthony or insert superstar player here that 99% of teams are unable to get. SLU simply cannot get two solid recruits in one class over a 3 year period and expect to be as successful as you would like them to be the next season.

Once and if SLU gets the current Frosh class to be Juniors and Seniors, and, follows it up with solid to good classes of multiple players in each subsequent class, for multiple years in a row, SLU can raise its expectations in a few seasons. And, they can also have more annual expectations.

The defender is entitled to that space. It possibly could have been a home call, which imo would have been the wrong call. The foul on Reed's rebound, on Reed, a little bit prior, was the wrong call as well.

Agree with you on both accounts. Reed has collected fouls on some questionable calls (e.g. the dagger of a call against Richmond).

No, he did the norm on here .... read 1 or 2 posters opinions and then refer to it as everybody, you all, or something of the sort.

The guy gets his kicks out of being negative ... btw, I beat my kids ass this morning because I saw another kid his age ran 100 meters in 11.3 seconds and he could only do it in 11.7. He tried to tell me it was because he just started training to sprint and was a bit behind the kids that had been doing it longer. But hey, I'm not going to accept excuses or settle for mediocrity ... so, I beat his ass ... he damn well better run faster next time.

Skip, that is amusing to me. Comparing me being critical of the bills and the posters on here who settle for mediocrity to beating their kids. That is a humorous analogy and please, pass the hashish.

I've read this board enough to understand the general feeling of the "die hard" billiken fans who post on here more then they see their wives. You. Settle. For. Average. Thank you Postcard for seeing it from my perspective.

There is a difference between being "Realistic" and settling for average. Sure, we played hard, but we LOST. That is all that matters. To say we would rather have a LOSS then a WIN is unconscionable. In fact, it may even be insane.

I can accept the argument of "maybe all we can take away is moral victories at this point" as one poster said. That, in fact, maybe realistic.

I love to win. I like the Bills to win. I get pissed when we blow games we should have one. It’s getting embarrassing out there. No one looks at moral victories on ESPN bottom line.

Skip, that is amusing to me. Comparing me being critical of the bills and the posters on here who settle for mediocrity to beating their kids. That is a humorous analogy and please, pass the hashish.

I've read this board enough to understand the general feeling of the "die hard" billiken fans who post on here more then they see their wives. You. Settle. For. Average. Thank you Postcard for seeing it from my perspective.

There is a difference between being "Realistic" and settling for average. Sure, we played hard, but we LOST. That is all that matters. To say we would rather have a LOSS then a WIN is unconscionable. In fact, it may even be insane.

I can accept the argument of "maybe all we can take away is moral victories at this point" as one poster said. That, in fact, maybe realistic.

I love to win. I like the Bills to win. I get pissed when we blow games we should have one. It’s getting embarrassing out there. No one looks at moral victories on ESPN bottom line.

The problem is one poster makes a statement and you relate it to the entire board.

The point is we are who we are at this point, Dayton is a better team and we played them tough on the road and had a shot to win at the end, that doesn't mean we like it we lost .... that's stupid. You're the man though, you demand more. That's right, you let em know they stunk. As if you actually had the ability to settle for anything. We're a bunch of people posting on an internet message board about our favorite bball team ... nothing more.

Does. Putting. A. Period. After. Each. Word. Signify. Anything.

The problem is one poster makes a statement and you relate it to the entire board.

The point is we are who we are at this point, Dayton is a better team and we played them tough on the road and had a shot to win at the end, that doesn't mean we like it we lost .... that's stupid. You're the man though, you demand more. That's right, you let em know they stunk. As if you actually had the ability to settle for anything. We're a bunch of people posting on an internet message board about our favorite bball team ... nothing more.

Does. Putting. A. Period. After. Each. Word. Signify. Anything.

Dennis Green, is that you?

Arby's - what I think he really meant was that it shows more promise to barely lose to Dayton on the road than to beat lesser teams. If I knew we were building towards something in the future (i.e. it wasn't reasonable to expect the current season to end in a post-season bid), I'd rather see us lose nail-biters night after night to the class of the league than beat the bums at the bottom. Esp. when most of the team will be back and only sophomores the following year. I support your position AND what I presume to be the position of the poster you're questioning; you're both on the same page more than you think.