Banners at Chaifetz

Not sure how long they've been there, but tonight at the women's game I noticed that the retired numbers banners were up in the rafters at Chaifetz. I was told by someone that they had recently been put up.

Wouldn't you think that SLU could've done something to recognize the players with their numbers retired? Maybe honor them at halftime of a game or something like that. I remember back when they first retired the numbers of Ed MacCauley, Dick Boushka, and Bob Ferry, the crowd went nuts for those guys. When Anthony Bonner had his number retired, I remember being very excited because AB was my favorite player going back to when I first started following the Billikens as a kid.

This might have been another thing that SLU could've done that would've gone well, but instead they either do it wrong or avoid doing it entirely.

Not sure how long they've been there, but tonight at the women's game I noticed that the retired numbers banners were up in the rafters at Chaifetz. I was told by someone that they had recently been put up.

Wouldn't you think that SLU could've done something to recognize the players with their numbers retired? Maybe honor them at halftime of a game or something like that. I remember back when they first retired the numbers of Ed MacCauley, Dick Boushka, and Bob Ferry, the crowd went nuts for those guys. When Anthony Bonner had his number retired, I remember being very excited because AB was my favorite player going back to when I first started following the Billikens as a kid.

This might have been another thing that SLU could've done that would've gone well, but instead they either do it wrong or avoid doing it entirely.

Maybe they will tomorrow but in all honesty they should have started the season with these things in place

While I love Chaiffetz, it is a quality facility, it should be a shrine to Billiken athletics namely Billiken Basketball. It isn't. There were more pictures of Billiken greats at the Savvis center. Really when you walk the outside ring of the arena there isn't much that says this is the home of Billiken athletics. That to me is disappointing, the retired numbers not in the rafters just adds to that feeling.

While I love Chaiffetz, it is a quality facility, it should be a shrine to Billiken athletics namely Billiken Basketball. It isn't. There were more pictures of Billiken greats at the Savvis center. Really when you walk the outside ring of the arena there isn't much that says this is the home of Billiken athletics. That to me is disappointing, the retired numbers not in the rafters just adds to that feeling.

Coming from out of town, I only make it to a home game once every few years.

One of those times was when Spoon was here during the Hughes year. That particular year I came with a few of my old SLU buddies to attend the Houston and UAB game. It was good because it was Thursday/Saturday games and allowed us to see the women play on Friday night. One of the nights before one of the games we went to Spoon's restaurant in the Central West End of town. I was totally amazed by all the old pictures and memorabilia of Billiken basketball great moments and players covering his walls. To me it was like walking into the Louvre Museum in Paris.

I agree, they need to get things like that to dress up Chaiffetz lobbies and hallways. It is not a major expense and should not be hard to fix.

Coming from out of town, I only make it to a home game once every few years.

One of those times was when Spoon was here during the Hughes year. That particular year I came with a few of my old SLU buddies to attend the Houston and UAB game. It was good because it was Thursday/Saturday games and allowed us to see the women play on Friday night. One of the nights before one of the games we went to Spoon's restaurant in the Central West End of town. I was totally amazed by all the old pictures and memorabilia of Billiken basketball great moments and players covering his walls. To me it was like walking into the Louvre Museum in Paris.

I agree, they need to get things like that to dress up Chaiffetz lobbies and hallways. It is not a major expense and should not be hard to fix.

It is a shrine to SAINT LOUIS UNIVERSITY........not just basketball............and it does a great job.

If this project was just about basketball, it would've never gotten done.

One sure way to get your say about what is in it, write a check!

The Cintas Center concourses are very similar, however they have more to brag about basketball-wise inside the arena.

I have also heard that the practice facility is going to get the conference banners etc, too this summer.

It is a shrine to SAINT LOUIS UNIVERSITY........not just basketball............and it does a great job.

If this project was just about basketball, it would've never gotten done.

One sure way to get your say about what is in it, write a check!

The Cintas Center concourses are very similar, however they have more to brag about basketball-wise inside the arena.

I have also heard that the practice facility is going to get the conference banners etc, too this summer.

Since Chaiffetz houses the Athletic Department, I think putting pictures/memorabilia concerning all Billiken Athletics would be what you want. This would should include not just mens basketball but Vball, Soccer (M & W), etc..

I was at the Humphrey Dome a few weeks ago at Mississippi State (btw, the arenas are very similar) and they did something like that and it was very nicely done. Also they had some nice elite 8 banners.

Also, SLU has this beautiful museum on Lindall (the old Woolworth Building), that should be a more a appropriate place for a University museum.

I thought the Woolworth Building was just rehabbed and occupied.

You're both right.

The building that houses Saint Louis Museum of Art (on Lindell) was originally known as the Woolworth Building.

At Grand and Olive, the former Woolworth's store - right next to the Continental/Superman Building - was recently rehabbed and is home to Big Brothers/Big Sisters, the Kranzberg Center, Craft Alliance, etc.

While I do agree that we could use more memorabilia around the concourses, I enjoy the plain, simple look. I don't like things too overdone. With that said, I think all arenas take shape over a few years after they open. I was there when Kiel/Savvis/Scottrade first opened, and watched that arena take shape and add things along the way years after it was opened. I think most of the folks in charge of all of that stuff can't get everything right on the first shot. However, I'm sure fans add input and most of the folks will listen to the input and add accordingly if they are smart. I think the new Busch happened the same way. The fans (and media) spoke about the lack of acknowledgement for retired players, and they added more things around the stadium to recognize the retired players. Give it time and it will improve. Now, if we can also get them to get rid of the 1980's boom box they use for introductions and put some nice BOSE speakers in its place, that would be a nice step forward.

The building that houses Saint Louis Museum of Art (on Lindell) was originally known as the Woolworth Building.

Didn't know that one, thanks.

While I do agree that we could use more memorabilia around the concourses, I enjoy the plain, simple look. I don't like things too overdone. With that said, I think all arenas take shape over a few years after they open.

Agreed. Unless you are talking about the Ed Jones Dome which still has no charm after 15 years. But then again, the Rams don't care what the fans think.

I think Chaifetz is pretty darn good now and a few small touches will make it great.

Assuming you are referring to the omission of either the 2003 or 2004 on the banner, they are both on there. I noticed that last night.

They must have just added the missing year - 2004, I believe - recently. They put up a banner for the 2003 Women's NIT as well.