Should Shimmy Be Fired?

Postcard

The nature of college coaching is that fans/media can question the results of your job. That is the downside of getting paid to coach a game for your well-being.

I don't think she should be fired. I think the clock for her to produce results should be longer because the women up until this year practiced and played in a terrible facility for basketball. Now if in 3 more years she isn't producing teams over .500 then she should look for another line of work.

Skip, my comment was mostly in jest. However, I did watch the women play on TV last week, and I am amazed at the drastic difference between the women's game and men's.

There is a big difference, but I enjoy watching the ladies play and they are better than most people think. Come out and watch us play on Jan 10th.

Skip will you being doing the anthem that night?

I sing worse than the worst person that's ever been on the idol tryout show's. We do have about 50 players and well over 100 family members coming to the game. I think 165 total, so I did sell my 50. I'll probably ref the game.

I sing worse than the worst person that's ever been on the idol tryout show's. We do have about 50 players and well over 100 family members coming to the game. I think 165 total, so I did sell my 50. I'll probably ref the game.

You aren't one of those crappy Valley officials are you?

• 2 months later...

Doubt It. It will be another year or two before she gets the BCS job. Next year will probably her first twenty-win season as her first recruiting class become seniors and this year's freshmen mature; not to mention the transfer from the ACC becomes eligible.

She had a first team academic all-american, two all-conference players, and set three different records for attendance. It looks as if the program is growing and she is doing it without cheating. I would think that Chris May is thankful he has such a dynamic women's coach building the correct way and establishing new boosters each year for her program.

the reason shimmy or any other ladies coach needs more time at a program like slu, is the lesser budget she is afforded to work with compared to what the men's program gets. shimmy continues to improve the program slow but surely.

Her competitors have proportionely lesser budgets than the mens programs.

Women do not bring the revenue that men do; marketing 101.

SLU Womens Basketball=Savannah State Mens basketball

You can't fire Shimmy. Her on the court progress has been very small but we can't retard this program anymore. We have to give her a chance to build something here. She had absolutely nothing to work with when she came here. I would give her at least 7 years. If we can get a winning record and postseason berth before then she is golden.

ANNE KORDES WAS HIRED AT THE SAME TIME AND PLAYED IN THE SAME FACILITY AND DEVELOPED A TOP 20 PROGRAM.

COMPARE VOLLEYBALL'S AND WOMEN'S BASKETBALL BUDGETS. NOT CLOSE.

STAFF SIZE, NOT CLOSE.

PERKS, ETC, NOT CLOSE.

INJURIES OR NOT THE WOMEN"S PROGRAM LOSES NUMEROUS PLAYERS EVERY YEAR.

ASK BILLIKAN HOW MUCH MONEY THE ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT LOSES FOR EVERY WOMEN'S GAME IN THE ARENA.

THE MISSOURI STATE GAME WAS MAINLY THEIR FANS

QUIT MAKING EXCUSES......WE ALL ARE ACCOUNTABLE, NO MATTER WHAT JOBS WE HAVE.

I attend all of the women games, and they are a work in progress. Shimmy is learning as a head coach and has a ways to go in game management. Our freshmen guards are small, but pretty good. We seriously lack athleticism at the forward and center spots. Amanda Kemesyz is a very nice post player, albeit slow footed.

The loss of Maggie Hedegen was tough for the team to overcome. She was the only forward with some quickness and a good sense for rebounding. She brought a level of toughness we couldn't replace, not to mention 8-12 garbage points a game.

The redshirt from Florida is big. Her addition will really help offset problems when Amanda has to leave the floor.

But make no doubt about it, if "T" leaves early, next year the team will be in a world of hurt. She is the real deal. Everyone tries to stop her, and she almost always finds a way to get her 20. She has learned to take it to the basket, and vastly improved her step back jumper, which helps her create space. She's become a better than average defender and a surprisingly smart rebounder.

As I see it, our problem is our inability to compete with quick, athletic teams. We really get hurt by the 6' girl that can run, jump and shoot. The upper half of the A-10 are filled with these type of players. That being said, we've had an advantage with Amanda. Several struggle guarding her. The team had strong games against some of the top teams in the league and nearly pulled a couple of big upsets off. I have the feeling that if they could just get one of those, they might show some major improvement.

Next year's frosh class will be very important to the development of the program. Add to them, the Florida girl and Smith from Kirkwood (injury redshirt), while only losing one senior that played a lot, things could improve significantly. (assuming T stays)