When does practice start?

Scoop

4 weeks from today is the 1st exhibition game and there are zero reports about the team. When does practice start? Somebody throw us a bone. Tommie T? BR? At least the roster picks are up, however, 3 players still do not have numbers.

Guest BillikenReport

4 weeks from today is the 1st exhibition game and there are zero reports about the team. When does practice start? Somebody throw us a bone. Tommie T? BR? At least the roster picks are up, however, 3 players still do not have numbers.

The first day of practice is Oct. 17.

You can find recruiting information on my site and some general season preview info on the CollegeChalktalk.com site. They will be running team-by-team previews soon, but I don't know when the SLU preview that I wrote for them will run.

Before long, you'll be able to read season previews on my site, in the Post-Dispatch and the new Billikens section on InsideSTL.com.

I'm not sure how Ruben Cotto and Femi John will decide who gets to wear the No. 13. Cotto would probably beat John in a game of horse, while John would beat Cotto in a dunk contest. Maybe they will go rock-paper-scissors or something.

You can find recruiting information on my site and some general season preview info on the CollegeChalktalk.com site. They will be running team-by-team previews soon, but I don't know when the SLU preview that I wrote for them will run.

Before long, you'll be able to read season previews on my site, in the Post-Dispatch and the new Billikens section on InsideSTL.com.

I'm not sure how Ruben Cotto and Femi John will decide who gets to wear the No. 13. Cotto would probably beat John in a game of horse, while John would beat Cotto in a dunk contest. Maybe they will go rock-paper-scissors or something.

Thanks!

Hopefully they will resolve it with an ongoing "dirty man" competition. I think that could be a lot of fun for the fans over the course of their careers. Having players that look like werewolves is the first step towards actually recruiting some quality werewolves.

Illini teams in action at Memorial Stadium immediately following football game

Trent Meacham and the Illini will participate in the World's Biggest Basketball Practice Saturday at Memorial Stadium immediately following the Homecoming football game.

Oct. 7, 2008

Champaign, Ill. - The Illinois men's and women's basketball teams will take part in a record-setting event on Saturday afternoon, participating in the World's Biggest Basketball Practice in front of over 60,000 fans at Memorial Stadium. As soon as the clock turns to zero of the Homecoming football game, both basketball teams will take the floor and begin warm-up drills. A basketball court will be in place in the south end zone prior to the football game, meaning there will be no delay between events.

Flex Court Athletics, a Kewanee, Ill.-based company that specializes in outdoor basketball, tennis and multipurpose courts, donated the playing surface for the event. Following the World's Biggest Basketball Practice, Flex Court Athletics will give fans the opportunity to purchase the event's official playing surface through a silent auction. Bids can be made by visiting flexcourt.com beginning Oct. 11 and ending Oct. 17 at 5 p.m. The minimum bid for the surface is $12,500.

Those attending the football game will be part of the unique event, getting a chance to see the Illini football team as well as both basketball teams in action at the same venue. The World's Biggest Basketball Practice will create a new attendance standard for any women's basketball event, while also marking the all-time attendance high for a men's basketball practice.

"It's great that the administration supports us by doing new and exciting things that catch the attention of our fans," men's basketball head coach Bruce Weber said. "This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for our players to be on this type of stage."

Following team warm-ups, the event will run similar to Illini Madness, with a shooting contest, dunk contest and men's team scrimmage.

"It's wonderful to be part of a University that always does things first-class and in a big way," women's basketball head coach Jolette Law said. "This event will put our team and program in the University, community, state and national spotlight, giving us unprecedented exposure as we start the season."

The tie-in between the basketball and football teams is an extension of the partnership that Weber and Illinois football coach Ron Zook established this fall with the Zook Zone towels. Fans are encouraged all season to buy the orange towels at Gameday Spirit to help build energy and create a unique home-field advantage at Memorial Stadium. The towels serve a dual purpose, as $1 from every one sold goes to help fight cancer through the Coaches vs. Cancer program, Weber's signature charity.

"At Illinois we are always looking to help each other and work together with the different sports," Weber said. "The basketball and football programs have tied in with each other before, and it has been successful. This gives us a new opportunity to do something unique while showing our support for the football team."

In the case of inclement weather, the event will be cancelled.

My guess is that Femi will keep number 13 since he had it all summer and Ruben will wear 15.

Guest BillikenReport

Related question about the first practice - can a player who is still being cleared by the NCAA practice with the team, or can they practice with the team only if they have been cleared?

Players who have not been cleared can not practice with the team or get individual instruction from coaches. They can only participate in open gym-type games.

This isn't an issue with SLU because everyone has been cleared.

Players who have not been cleared can not practice with the team or get individual instruction from coaches. They can only participate in open gym-type games.

This isn't an issue with SLU because everyone has been cleared.

Great news. Can't wait until we get a report from Strickland :lol: