anyone else getting a little tired of jeff gordon

billiken_roy

and his patronizing attitude? his column today again smacks of the little engine that could and he again has his "slu has a real good chance at the nit" crap in it. my gosh, at a mid 60 rpi, i would think we win vs houston and tulane and we are in the nit.

but gordon says,

"ESPN's InsideRPI Daily has moved SLU up to No. 66 after the quality victories over Marquette and DePaul. That ranking won't earn a sniff from the NCAA Tournament, but it should put SLU in the NIT if the Billikens can win four or five more games."

now if we win 4 or 5 of the remaining games, that means we beat either or both of cincy and louisville and i think we will truly be an ncaa bubble team by then. maybe kwyjbo needs to call jeff and give him an rpi lesson.

Gordon's opinion of us needing 4 or 5 more games to get into the NIT is the most absurd thing Gordon's ever written. That's saying a lot.

Jeff either:

1. has no idea of the expanded field of 48 teams of the NIT

2. does not pay attention to SLU other than what's on kfans

3. has no comprehension of the RPI and selection to the tourney

4. confuses the NIT and NCAA tourney (you never know with Gordo):7

5. all of the above

I will savor the day that SLU gets a at large bid with an RPI around 50. It may not be this year, although that would be nice, but I'll be patient and Brad will take us there soon enough. I can't even imagine what Gordon would come up with the morning after...

Well, I think we found at least one thing we can all agree on. Even though he is an MU grad and former antler, I guarantee you most MU fans, including this one, can't stand the guy either.

The post's sports page has some serious dead weight, and Gordo tops the list. I guess in a 1 paper town, it's kind of like a bad teacher with lifetime tenure--you have a job for life.

i think gordo is trying to be fair to both programs, but what amazes me is that either he truly is patronizing us, or else he is totally uninformed about college basketball. now how can such a high ranking staff writer be that clueless to what is going on in college basketball? and even if he is that clueless and lazy (gosh jeff, do a little homework before writing something down next time)why would the department heads allow that to run? the scary part is that there are enough casual fans that will read that crap and take it for gospel.

I think you hit it on the head: he's lazy. I got that same impression when he did radio regularly, or when he occasionaly fills in on radio today. He just rolls in completely unprepared and trys to be witty. That's why I enjoy Frank Cusamano so much. Some MU fans think Frank is a Billiken cheerleader. He's pro-billiken for obvious reasons, but I never get the sense it's affected Frank's objectivity towards other teams, such as MU. I think the guy is a pro, and is always prepared.

I think Gordon basically writes the same way he did or does radio--just rolls in unprepared and shoots from the hip. I also agree that he tries to pander to certain fan groups to show he's not biased. He also takes absurd positions to show he's progressive, such as his bizarre defense of Tony Banks several years back.

Oh well, in the end it justs means that I spend less time reading the sports page almost every day.

I would not get too worked up over what a dummy like gordon writes. remember, this is the same idiot that wrote something to the effect of "do people want to admit that jimmy (i'm barely holding on to my starting sport for a .500 college team) mcKinney is better than larry (averaging nearly 20 points a game in the NBA) hughes?"

it's hard to take someone who writes something so blatantly ignorant too seriously.

the only person who would probably believe such babble might be a.j. arete.

bad boyz for life.