Coach Soderberg/Jobs

OC

I don't know why he felt it wasn't a good fit, he hasn't confided in me. Maybe there were some things going on there he didn't like ... maybe he saw some of the same restrictions he had at SLU and just thought this just doesn't feel right, maybe he didn't like the AD or didn't get the feeling the school really had a committment to win.

I'm not sure ... but I do think that if it doesn't feel right he's better off passing. His next head coaching job is crucial if he takes one and it doesn't work out ... will he ever get another shot?

If it were me and I didn't like the options I had as a head coach, I'd try to get on at a top program as an asst and earn my way back that way ... most of the knock on UB is due to recruiting, if he had some success at another school, he could probably get another shot at a better school than Detroit

Just checked the still open D1 HC jobs on CBS sports line. List is kind of shrinking.

Alcorn State

Brown- Could Kramer get in? Brown may be toughest admit in Ivy League.

Bucknell-This would be a good fit for Team Soderberg

Fl Atl-not sure this is still open

Grambling- Uh, highly doubtful

Ms Valley St- see Grambling

Stanford- not sure if this has been filled either, but he might want to approach new coach about AC job. HC job no way.

St. Francis, PA-A good starting over point. Nice campus, make some noise here, he could go to Penn State someday. PSU goes thru HC's about every four years or so.

Guest BillikenReport

Just checked the still open D1 HC jobs on CBS sports line. List is kind of shrinking.

Alcorn State

Stanford- not sure if this has been filled either, but he might want to approach new coach about AC job. HC job no way.

St. Francis, PA-A good starting over point. Nice campus, make some noise here, he could go to Penn State someday. PSU goes thru HC's about every four years or so.

I like Bucknell as a possible destination for Brad and Kramer. I think that would be a good fit.

Penn State would not hire a basketball coach from St. Francis.

I believe my good friend Ed DeChellis has been coach (to my surprise) at PSU for about 6-7 years now. Nate, you may know more then I do being an alum but is Ed in jeopardy? Ed, I know from his days at ETSU, is a super nice guy. Kind of reminds me a lot of Brad.

I like Bucknell as a possible destination for Brad and Kramer. I think that would be a good fit.

PSU BB coach Ed DeChellis just got an extention. No way Soderberg gets hired at PSU. Joe Paterno has a better chance of being hired!!!

I'm a PSU undergrad alum.

Bucknell, however, could be a good fit. Good academics. Needs a coach who can get the most out of their recruits

I believe my good friend Ed DeChellis has been coach (to my surprise) at PSU for about 6-7 years now. Nate, you may know more then I do being an alum but is Ed in jeopardy? Ed, I know from his days at ETSU, is a super nice guy. Kind of reminds me a lot of Brad.

I believe he just got an extension. Team played pretty well at end of year starting 4 freshmen. One point of interest is that they offered Cassity

Guest BillikenReport

I believe he just got an extension. Team played pretty well at end of year starting 4 freshmen. One point of interest is that they offered Cassity

Penn State also went after Scott Suggs.

Penn State also went after Scott Suggs.

I didn't know that. Didn't read it on their two Rivals boards which I follow as closely as this one. PSU has always had a difficult time recruiting for basketball. Except for a year here and there, they have traditionally been disappointing.

Alcorn State

Alcorn State - see Grambling. I have some knowledge of the situation at Bucknell, they almost always look for someone from the east since that is their primary recruiting area. Very good school, small town, not easy to get to, beautiful area.

Alcorn State - see Grambling. I have some knowledge of the situation at Bucknell, they almost always look for someone from the east since that is their primary recruiting area. Very good school, small town, not easy to get to, beautiful area.

You are correct. Bucknell is in Lewisburg, PA.. Before I-81 and I-80 were built, you had to go thru Lewisburg if you were traveling to PSU from the Wilkes Barre-Scranton area. Beautiful town located on the Susquehanna(western branch) River. Traveled thru there many times.

I suppose BS would not fit their either if they recruit from the east. Otherwise, he'd be a great fit. So would his son.

Guest BillikenReport

I didn't know that. Didn't read it on their two Rivals boards which I follow as closely as this one. PSU has always had a difficult time recruiting for basketball. Except for a year here and there, they have traditionally been disappointing.

The Nits didn't get very far with Suggs. He already had a couple big-time offers at that point, so it didn't make sense to start considering PSU.

As for the Penn State angle, it's discouraging that they would waste their time going after a kid like that who wasn't going to go there. They would have been better off trying to recruit LeBron James or Kobe Bryant.

The Nits didn't get very far with Suggs. He already had a couple big-time offers at that point, so it didn't make sense to start considering PSU.

As for the Penn State angle, it's discouraging that they would waste their time going after a kid like that who wasn't going to go there. They would have been better off trying to recruit LeBron James or Kobe Bryant.

I agree. However, surprisingly. DeChellis has been able to make a few inroads lately in recruiting. For examle, they got Jeff Brooks out of Louisville(4 star 14th rated PF) and Taylor Battle (3 star 21st rated PG) last year, and Chris Babb(3 star 34th rated SG) this year. But their men's BB problems have been around for a long time. I have suffered with the Billikens since 65 and the Nits since 59. BTW, how did you know to call them the "Nits"? I've normally seen that term used only by Penn Staters in reference to their teams, but I have not been around other boards besides this one.

In my opinion, Brad needs to be find another head coach no matter how "low" he must go. If he takes BCS assistant coach job, he will be a definite help to that head coach but will will not learn anything more, and even worse, will not earn the respect as a great recruiter even if he succeeds. Instead, the BCS program/head coach will take the credit b/c his recruiting was so poor here at SLU that people will be reluctant to give him much credit. While we had numerous reasons/excuses for his poor recruiting (poor facilities, lack of tradition, small budget, stalled arena project, step-down to the A10, etc.), none of these will fly with other programs looking for their new head coach. Instead, Brad needs to go somewhere (however small) and prove he can recruit/win. He is young and can afford to spend 4 years at the DII level before working his way back up.

I agree. However, surprisingly. DeChellis has been able to make a few inroads lately in recruiting. For examle, they got Jeff Brooks out of Louisville(4 star 14th rated PF) and Taylor Battle (3 star 21st rated PG) last year, and Chris Babb(3 star 34th rated SG) this year. But their men's BB problems have been around for a long time. I have suffered with the Billikens since 65 and the Nits since 59. BTW, how did you know to call them the "Nits"? I've normally seen that term used only by Penn Staters in reference to their teams, but I have not been around other boards besides this one.

Yankee, BillikenReport is a Penn State alumnus.

Alcorn State

Stanford is now off the board. Duke AC got the job.

Guest BillikenReport

Yikes!!!!! Thanks for the warning.

And I thought I was the only Penn Stater on this board.

Hey BillikenReport, when did you graduate? And, are you originally from PA? And if so, where?

I sent you a pm.