Darren Clarke High School running mate?

The discussion below about Brad signing a player like Darren Clarke and his potential brought back a memory. I remember hearing or reading Clarke's high school coach saying at the time that Clarke could be a collegiate All-America but I also seem to remember that he had a teammate that signed with an elite school like Duke. The quote I heard was the coach comparing this other player to Clarke. Who was that other player and is that correct?

His running mate was Kris Humphries and he committed to Duke, not signed and decided that he would be better served going to the home state school, being a hero for doing so and then going pro after one glorious season. Another kid who did something similar was Rick Rickert, but he stayed two years and then was drafted by the state NBA team.

The discussion below about Brad signing a player like Darren Clarke and his potential brought back a memory. I remember hearing or reading Clarke's high school coach saying at the time that Clarke could be a collegiate All-America but I also seem to remember that he had a teammate that signed with an elite school like Duke. The quote I heard was the coach comparing this other player to Clarke. Who was that other player and is that correct?

Kris Humphries was the recruit that overshadowed Clarke at Hopkins HS. He originally signed with Duke and then changed his mind because he wanted to stay closer to home. Duke let him out of his letter of intent and he signed with Minnesota and wasn't forced to sit out or lose any eligibility.

His running mate was Kris Humphries and he committed to Duke, not signed and decided that he would be better served going to the home state school, being a hero for doing so and then going pro after one glorious season. Another kid who did something similar was Rick Rickert, but he stayed two years and then was drafted by the state NBA team.

Thanks that was bugging me. I still remember that coach saying he thought Clarke was going to be an All-American. Just didn't work out I guess.

Kris Humphries was the recruit that overshadowed Clarke at Hopkins HS. He originally signed with Duke and then changed his mind because he wanted to stay closer to home. Duke let him out of his letter of intent and he signed with Minnesota and wasn't forced to sit out or lose any eligibility.

Thr unfairness of that compared tp the Harrelson situation is striking. Why should the NCAA allow the school to screw Harrelson out of two years of eligibility because WIU holds a grudge. I can see saying he has to sit for a year before becoming eligible otherwise recruiting a kid would never stop, but he should still get all 4 years of eligibility.

Thr unfairness of that compared tp the Harrelson situation is striking. Why should the NCAA allow the school to screw Harrelson out of two years of eligibility because WIU holds a grudge. I can see saying he has to sit for a year before becoming eligible otherwise recruiting a kid would never stop, but he should still get all 4 years of eligibility.

I'm also not a fan of that rule. Plus, I don't understand why WIU and other schools ever refuse to let a kid out of his LOI if he makes it 100% clear that he wants to play elsewhere. I understand talking with him and trying to get him to stick with it, but everyone loses when they don't release him.

imo it is a good rule. you cannot set the precedent that players can freely leave or not even show up. all at once you got a scum coach leaving and taking all his best players with him.

the LOI is very very clear you are signing with the school, not the coach. and every player is well aware of the circumstances that they are "stuck" if the coach leaves or in harrelson's case, improves at a dramatic level to put themselves in position to go to a higher profile school.

players shouldnt be so quick to commit if they are not 100% sure this is the SCHOOL they want to attend.

Haven't we concluded that Harrelson will only be stuck for 1 year by WIU? He qualified for D1 and therefore does not need to graduate (2 years) and scholarships are only for 1 year. Correct?

Its not a qualifying issue, its a LOI issue and getting his release. The high-majors have jumped in. The Harrellson ship may have sailed. His LOI situation has kept him from having direct contact with coaches as well.

Understand its not a qualifying issue and that this school year is not yet over so the LOI is still in place. Are you saying the LOI extends thru next year as well or that it ends this May?

the way it was explained to me is that as long as western refuses to release the loi, harrelson will have to finish his associates degree to go to any other 4 year division 1 school. he also is not a recruitable athlete for this school year and any other college but western illinois cannot make direct contact with harrelson.

apparently sec, big ten and big east schools have all contacted our friendly coaching staff at swic to show their interest in josh. i.e. "big time". if you remember, asst coach campo at swic doesnt consider us "big time" enough.

we need to move on.