Could we be a bubble team

slu72

Is anyone suggesting we are a bubble team over and above Maryland, Kentucky, Syracuse and the like of those?

Are we even a bubble team in our own conference? Over and above St. Joes, UMass, Temple, Rhode Island and Dayton. Rhodey and YouDee were ranked for crying out loud.

I echo the cheese ----- only one way in. Win out. Or win out with a loss to Duquesnse. Or win out with losses to both St. Bonnie and the Dukes PROVIDING we still go to the AC. Awwwww --- let's just call it win out and leave it at that.

http://www.gazellegroup.com/cbi/cbi_mockbracket07.pdf

Above is the link to last year proposed bracket. It sure doesn't look mid-major to me. And I haven't read anything that says mid-major. I agree with you, but I don't think this is being billed as a mid-major tourney.

I think the key word there is "proposed" bracket. People promote all kinds of things and not all plans end up as expected. The NCAA owns the NIT now so maybe they are putting a little pressure on "bigger" conferences not to participate. There are academic reasons that could be used as well because even though the CBI is 16 teams the final two teams will play 5 or 6 games. That said, if the CBI comes up with enough cash or TV maybe it would works--it does not look like they have yet though.

A Charlotte fan responded on TT's blog that the A-10 has apparently opted out of participation in the CBI.

oh what will we ever do when linda bruno is gone. one genius move after another.

and yes i meant sam houston state. those powerhouse three name state schools all run together for me.

imo the killers are kent state, boston college, long beach state and missouri state.

conference losses are going to happen. you gotta kill that out of conference schedule to get to post season.

No shame in losing to Kent State. They are a heck of team. Beat St. Mary's and have a good shot at an at-large bid. Missouri State, while not great, beat Drake. I didn't expect us to beat BC on the road. I do expect us to beat them when they come to Chaifetz next year. BTW, SIU has entered the at-large discussion. Their RPI is climbing and ESPN called them a bubble team last night. We're an NIT bubble team. That game agains the Dukes will be big.

The only reason I can think of is that the A10 has worked to shake the dreaded "mid-major" level- has this tournament billed itself as a mid-major thing, or is it mainly for NIT leftovers from any conference? I like the idea of more basketball, but I also have to say that I don't see the point of this tournament.

That said, I think the conference is smart to try to get rid of that label. I like how the conference, Xavier in particular, won't even accept or acknowledge anything that puts their name with mid-major in the same sentence.

Under the old NIT system with a 40 team field and no automatic bids, there would probably be little need for the CBI. But the NIT now is a 32 team field, and last year became a mere 25 at large bid field, with 7 automatic bids going to lesser conference regular season winners that did not win their post-season conference tourneys (the number was actually 8, but Vermont was deserving of an at large NIT bid anyway).

Couple the NIT change after the NCAA took over the NIT with the fact that there are now 341 Divsion 1 teams (per realtimrpi.com), and there is a need for the CBI IMO.

SLU right now is right on the NIT bubble with an RPI of 89. That would give SLU the last of the 32 NIT bids per a pure following of the RPI. But I have predicted today, based upon the RPI alone, that 4 NIT bids will be lost to those "automatic bids."

And last year, even when those automatic NIT bids were awarded, SLU and Dayton still should have been in the NIT per their RPI's of 74 and 75. Yet both were snubbed. That's why I especially can't understand why the A-10 wouldn't want to participate in the new CBI.

I look at these things through myopic SLU lenses. SLU not only deserves to play in a post-season tournament this year, but playing more games in a post-season tourney can only help by giving valuable experience for next year.

Also, will another new NIT gremlin come into play? Under the old NIT rules, a team with a sub-.500 record was ineligible. That one has been abolished too. And today, there sit #78 Cincinnati (13-14) and #82 Georgia Tech (11-15). Cincinnati still has a chance to finish at or above .500. But will the NIT take a BCS team below .500 now that the no sub-.500 rule has been abolished, especially one like Georgia Tech that is 4 games below .500 today?

No shame in losing to Kent State. They are a heck of team. Beat St. Mary's and have a good shot at an at-large bid. Missouri State, while not great, beat Drake. I didn't expect us to beat BC on the road. I do expect us to beat them when they come to Chaifetz next year. BTW, SIU has entered the at-large discussion. Their RPI is climbing and ESPN called them a bubble team last night. We're an NIT bubble team. That game agains the Dukes will be big.

all i am saying is if we expect to be ncaa teams we have to win those games. pitt at pitt was the forgivable game in the eyes of a selection committee that probably sees more nights at their local symphonies than watching mid major or less college basketball games. they have no idea who kent state and sam houston state is and they only know missouri state because they got a lot of nasty letters from their fans the last two years.

A Charlotte fan responded on TT's blog that the A-10 has apparently opted out of participation in the CBI.

Tom Timmerman has since noted in the Comments section of his Blog at stltoday.com that he checked with the (A-10) league office, which said it is an institutional decision whether to participate (in the new CBI).

IMO, that is good news for SLU and other A-10 schools.

all i am saying is if we expect to be ncaa teams we have to win those games. pitt at pitt was the forgivable game in the eyes of a selection committee that probably sees more nights at their local symphonies than watching mid major or less college basketball games. they have no idea who kent state and sam houston state is and they only know missouri state because they got a lot of nasty letters from their fans the last two years.

Well I think they do know about Kent State. They are #28 in the rpi and made the Elite 8 a few years back. It's a good program. The two games that I think were very realistic to think we should have won were Sam Houston and Temple. I'd like to have those back.

again i think every team has conference stumbles. those arent the ones that make the committee take notice imo. while you say kent state shouldnt matter. look at it this way,

if you were watching an espn game and you saw one of those capsules where they demonstrate a teams bubble chances. do you think a win with kent state would be listed as a "good win" for a team? i dont. but i am betting that they will use a loss to them against a team.

doesnt mean kent state is not a decent team. it just means a loss to them is worse than a win.

Well I think they do know about Kent State. They are #28 in the rpi and made the Elite 8 a few years back. It's a good program. The two games that I think were very realistic to think we should have won were Sam Houston and Temple. I'd like to have those back.

Agree re Sam Houston and Temple, and I would add the Dayton home game.