Who is the Best Team in College Basketball?

Postcard

Memphis will fold in tournament. Not used to day to day pressure.

what part of top 10 strength of schedule did you miss? undefeated with that schedule was no easy task. especially with calipari calling the shots.

this will sound really partisan -- but how about IU? not a single mention, but they are pretty good lately, DJ White is one of the underrated talents in the country, a solid pro. everyone knows about Gordon, but they have other very good athletic guards.

I have a hunch that with all the controversy, something special could be possible --and just as possible a total collapse. But they stuck it to the (slightly overrated) boilermakers.

why not a single mention of IU -- or for that matter anyone from the Big Ten?? that is a strong league again this year.

For obvious reasons my wife and I really like the job Coach Pearl has done with the Vols. We will be rotting hard for them and hope to see them beat Memphis on Saturday and keep our fingers crossed that they play the first two rounds of the NCAA here in Tampa. They are a fun team to watch.

this will sound really partisan -- but how about IU? not a single mention, but they are pretty good lately, DJ White is one of the underrated talents in the country, a solid pro. everyone knows about Gordon, but they have other very good athletic guards.

I have a hunch that with all the controversy, something special could be possible --and just as possible a total collapse. But they stuck it to the (slightly overrated) boilermakers.

why not a single mention of IU -- or for that matter anyone from the Big Ten?? that is a strong league again this year.

I was going to put IU in mine if it wasn't for the fact that I beleive Sampson will be gone Friday. White and Gordon are the kind of players that can carry a team. Sampson is one of the top bench coaches in the country. Look at his results at OU then look at the rosters of those teams. It is amazing what he accomplished.

actually doc, the big ten is only the 6th rated conference this year. they havent been rated that low since 2005. the A-10 is actually closer to passing the big ten for that 6th spot than the big ten is to passing the sec right now for the 5th spot.

I think the Big 10 is very average this year. They are 6th in conference RPI and don't have a team ranked in the top 10. They have some good second to third tier teams in IU, Mich St, Wisconsin and Purdue but I'd be suprised if they have a team make the Elite 8.

what part of top 10 strength of schedule did you miss? undefeated with that schedule was no easy task. especially with calipari calling the shots.

I am talking about conference play, in SEC-ACC-BIG 12 etc where you can get beat any nite on the road when you are not "up".

Memphis beat GT, U Conn, AZ, Gonzaga in non-conference, not bad, but not impressive either. Easy to focus when you have a few big games, easy to coast in easy league. Tennessee will be a big game for them... but again, they can focus on big games 'cause most of conference games are cake.

NC-UCLA-DUKE-KU-Tenn- etc cannot do that...

duke beat whom the equal of memphis non conference victories? wisconsin and marquette look like the best. they lost to pitt. after that their best foe is DAVIDSON!

as to your conference foes, granted cusa is no comparison to the acc, but the acc is down overall this year after duke and north carolina. clemson is 23rd and miami is 39th. no other acc team is ranked better than 50th.

duke is a good team. but overall their schedule is ranked 4th and memphis is 10th. so the disparity is not that much. memphis has better talent. duke has the better coach. that matchup in the elite eight or final four would be fun.

well, I know about those kinds of ratings, but the Big Ten is strong at the top. Those top 4 teams will all have a good shot at the sweet 16 and maybe one can sneak into elite 8 -- we shall see. Big Ten is pretty weak at the bottom that is true.

A10 is much improved but outside of Xavier, I do not see anyone beating those 4 teams from the big ten.

well, I know about those kinds of ratings, but the Big Ten is strong at the top. Those top 4 teams will all have a good shot at the sweet 16 and maybe one can sneak into elite 8 -- we shall see. Big Ten is pretty weak at the bottom that is true.

A10 is much improved but outside of Xavier, I do not see anyone beating those 4 teams from the big ten.

If, and it's a gigantic if, Dayton returns to early season form with no injured players, I think they showed they can play with anyone. Also, i think URI can hang with a lot of teams outside of the top 5-10, including some of those top 4 big ten teams.

duke beat whom the equal of memphis non conference victories? wisconsin and marquette look like the best. they lost to pitt. after that their best foe is DAVIDSON!

as to your conference foes, granted cusa is no comparison to the acc, but the acc is down overall this year after duke and north carolina. clemson is 23rd and miami is 39th. no other acc team is ranked better than 50th.

duke is a good team. but overall their schedule is ranked 4th and memphis is 10th. so the disparity is not that much. memphis has better talent. duke has the better coach. that matchup in the elite eight or final four would be fun.

"ACC down overall this year"???? C'mon, do not make stuff up.

ACC is number one (1) in RPI... not the only criteria, but to say they are "down" is just to serve your position as a docuented Duke hater.

It is tough to keep these kids "up" for every game, especially loooking ahead to conference tournaments and the NCAA's, so big conference top teams get upset every year over a grueling big time conference schedule.

A lot of teams in the ACC could beat Memphis besides NC and Duke, especially on the road, if they played the whole ACC schedule, like Miami, Clemson, Maryland, WF, etc... same applies to Big 12, Pac 10, Big E. My point is that Memphis can coast and there are only threats are Houston and UAB, and they are not as good as the above teams.

Duke is vulnerable to power-physical game if the refs let it happen in the NCAA's, so I would not favor them to win it all but think they can get to Final Four. NC is more likely to get there if they get healthy. UCLA, maybe Tennessee, Ku.

But Memphis will get knocked off before Final Four by someone like Indiana, Xavier, Mich. State, we'll see... perhaps a side bet later...

Oh, I was there last nite, first row, SLU looking much better.

Final four as of today (done w/o knowledge of regions of course)

UCLA, MEMPHIS, KU, and UNC

Elite 8,

Above 4 plus Gtown, TN, Louisville, TX

Teams that might crack the above and be a surprise final 4: Michigan State, IU, XU, Stanford, KSU, Duke

Other sleepers: Butler, Wash State, RI, CT, USC

UCLA has a lot of people back plus Love and they play D. Memphis has 5 potential NBA'ers, if UNC gets Lawson back and others off IR they could be champs, KU lots of depth and talent.

Duke, I think gets way too much love from national media. They have a bad shooting night, they're toasted.

Memphis SOS right now is 26. Their non conference SOS is 10.

They played a tough non conference schedule but once conference play started they haven't really been challenged night after night like they will be in the post season. Right now they can win by getting up for the big games and coasting through several of the easier conference opponents. In the tournament they will be playing good teams followed by more good teams. It's the same problem Gonzaga has run into in the past. They get used to a level of competition and then need to readjust in the post season to playing hard all the time.

"ACC down overall this year"???? C'mon, do not make stuff up.

ACC is number one (1) in RPI... not the only criteria, but to say they are "down" is just to serve your position as a docuented Duke hater.

It is tough to keep these kids "up" for every game, especially loooking ahead to conference tournaments and the NCAA's, so big conference top teams get upset every year over a grueling big time conference schedule.

A lot of teams in the ACC could beat Memphis besides NC and Duke, especially on the road, if they played the whole ACC schedule, like Miami, Clemson, Maryland, WF, etc... same applies to Big 12, Pac 10, Big E. My point is that Memphis can coast and there are only threats are Houston and UAB, and they are not as good as the above teams.

Duke is vulnerable to power-physical game if the refs let it happen in the NCAA's, so I would not favor them to win it all but think they can get to Final Four. NC is more likely to get there if they get healthy. UCLA, maybe Tennessee, Ku.

But Memphis will get knocked off before Final Four by someone like Indiana, Xavier, Mich. State, we'll see... perhaps a side bet later...

Oh, I was there last nite, first row, SLU looking much better.

you are correct i am a duke hater.

it is quite a feather in billikens.com hat that we now have duke fans as regular contributors as well as our old friends from the mvc and mi$$ouri though.

thanks for the laugh on "A lot of teams in the ACC could beat Memphis" ;)

you are correct i am a duke hater.

it is quite a feather in billikens.com hat that we now have duke fans as regular contributors as well as our old friends from the mvc and mi$$ouri though.

thanks for the laugh on "A lot of teams in the ACC could beat Memphis" ;)

I am a SLU fan but defend Duke from those who hate them out of some sort of jealousy.

Duke is a solid, class program we should admire, emulate to the extent that our limited resources are able.

IU is apparently firing Sampson, (good!) so take them off my list of teams to upset Memphis... IU will be a mess.

BUT Memphis will fall before Final 4.