Fox Sports says Majerus a genius no more

philliken

I don't think i'm getting my point across clearly here. What I am trying to say is I don't think majerus should be praised for having a above .500 record so far. The teams he have beat are pitiful. Also if you agree with the statement he made about the step children thats sad. You got to make due with what you have, don't make stupid excuses. Shoot maybe we should have just stayed in the CUSA, maybe we could have been in the top half of the conference. Only outstanding team in that conference is Memphis, then everybody else is average. Maybe then majerus could win some games and not have to worry about making these lame excuses. For the game last night, yeh it was nice to play well with dayton, but we all know in the past also slu has always been a pretty good home team. Last year 7-1 at home. Wait till we play at there house, it will be a different story. I truely feel bad for the players currently on the team, yeh maybe majerus didn't recruit them, but that don't make it ok to give up on them. From the games so far this year i think majerus goes by the tactic "My way or the highway" He don't give a darn about his players, and he only cares about himself. Yeh he had a good run in Utah back in the 90's, and had some real good talent he recruited. That was then, and the way he is making all these remarks I don't know if I would want to go play ball for him. Another thing I never said Brad was the greatest thing ever to happen to slu, i'm just saying so far into this season i would sure rather have him on the bench then Majerus.

From the Washington Post-

And so, for now, Majerus endures nights such as Thursday because he expects to get better and because he likes to tell the story about his point guard, Dwayne Polk, who came to him recently after his grandmother had died. He was very upset and Majerus sat him down and had him tell stories about her for about 30 minutes.

People who say Majerus doesn't care about his player are wrong.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so what you are really saying is that Brych equals Ian. Now, I understand. I guess I need to watch more games, I've always been under the impression that Ian was a much better player than Bryce. Thanks for showing me the errors of my ways. Now that I understand, I think the first thing we need to do is fire RM and beg Brad to come back ( with a big increase of course). The sooner we do this then the sooner we can get him out on the recruiting trail. Just think the next Bryce or AK is just around the corner. Thanks again for the brilliant insight.

No one said Bryce is better than Ian however Ian's absence is not the reason this team is playing so poorly.

This discussion has dissolved into a contest of who wins as opposed to who is right. I'll take my leave.

Ok, so what you are really saying is that Brych equals Ian. Now, I understand. I guess I need to watch more games,

"These are not my stats. They are a matter of record. You mentioned that Ian played less minutes against weaker teams because they needed him less is a bit silly. Blowouts victories for this team were far and few. The only reasons his minutes were short were due to his ineffectiveness or foul trouble.

Cleary if he was able to play 30 minutes, Coach Soderberg would have played him for 30 minutes.

Kevin and Tommie minutes make that self-evident. Again, Xavier and St Joes, no weak sisters mind you, Ian contributed a total of 38 minutes 8 points, 3 rebounds, and 2 blocks. These are 2 games totals.

A whole half of basketball missing, yet the Billikens won those games by an average score of 74-63.

In the 15 games were Ian played less than 30 minutes the Bills were 11-4. What those 15 games show is that the Bills could sustain a sub-par to poor effort by Ian, however a poor showing by Kevin or Tommie almost always meant doom".

Find Bryce's name anywhere in my post.

These are not my stats. They are a matter of record. You mentioned that Ian played less minutes against weaker teams because they needed him less is a bit silly. Blowouts victories for this team were far and few. The only reasons his minutes were short were due to his ineffectiveness or foul trouble.

Cleary if he was able to play 30 minutes, Coach Soderberg would have played him for 30 minutes.

Kevin and Tommie minutes make that self-evident. Again, Xavier and St Joes, no weak sisters mind you, Ian contributed a total of 38 minutes 8 points, 3 rebounds, and 2 blocks. These are 2 games totals.

A whole half of basketball missing, yet the Billikens won those games by an average score of 74-63.

In the 15 games were Ian played less than 30 minutes the Bills were 11-4. What those 15 games show is that the Bills could sustain a sub-par to poor effort by Ian, however a poor showing by Kevin or Tommie almost always meant doom.

Jale, on the surface, I think you make a fairly good point. But I think it is much too simple to say that when Ian played less, we were better. First, Ian's minutes were consistently between 25 and 35 minutes. Again, it's not like he wasn't there for the sub 30 min. games. Second, the schedule was easier in the 15 games where Ian played under 30 min. Third, Tommie and Kevin were lights out against X in SLU's win, but if your theory suggested by these facts is true, why didn't SLU beat X the 2nd time when Ian played under 30 min?

I wish RM had last year's team to play a season with. I would have liked to seen how he would have used IV.

Jale, on the surface, I think you make a fairly good point. But I think it is much too simple to say that when Ian played less, we were better. First, Ian's minutes were consistently between 25 and 35 minutes. Again, it's not like he wasn't there for the sub 30 min. games. Second, the schedule was easier in the 15 games where Ian played under 30 min. Third, Tommie and Kevin were lights out against X in SLU's win, but if your theory suggested by these facts is true, why didn't SLU beat X the 2nd time when Ian played under 30 min?

I wish RM had last year's team to play a season with. I would have liked to seen how he would have used IV.

The point I was trying to make is/was that Ian presence while not irrelevant wasn't a good indicator of success. The reason they lost to Xavier was due to a very poor game by Tommie and a so-so game by Kevin. Tommie was 3/11 with 3 turnovers. Kevin was 5-12 with 3 turnovers.

Let's look at 3 easy games that Ian competed past the 30 minute mark. I only chosed the losses as no team should

apologize for winning.

Saint Bonaventure 74-69 loss

Ian

33 minutes

17 points

6 rebs

2 blks

A very good game for Ian by any standards. Tommie scored 23 points, but Kevin struggled going 3/11.

Duquesne 73-63 loss

Ian

34 minutes

6 points

4 rebs

2 blks

Tommie's 28 points couldn't offset Ian poor game as Kevin shot 1-10

Temple 85-79 loss

Ian

34 minutes

11 pts

6 rebs

1 blk

Tommie's career day couldn't offset a so-so day by Ian combined with Kevin only playing 15 minutes and taking only 3 shots.

These 3 teams had a combined record of 13-26 at the time of play. What these 3 games plus the 2nd Xavier games indicates is the guards dictate wins and losses for SLU. These two guard are still there. We should be winning more.

I liked Ian but his loss is not akin to losing Shaq. The keys to this team success has always been in guard play.

The point I was trying to make is/was that Ian presence while not irrelevant wasn't a good indicator of success. The reason they lost to Xavier was due to a very poor game by Tommie and a so-so game by Kevin. Tommie was 3/11 with 3 turnovers. Kevin was 5-12 with 3 turnovers.

Let's look at 3 easy games that Ian competed past the 30 minute mark. I only chosed the losses as no team should

apologize for winning.

Saint Bonaventure 74-69 loss

Ian

33 minutes

17 points

6 rebs

2 blks

A very good game for Ian by any standards. Tommie scored 23 points, but Kevin struggled going 3/11.

Duquesne 73-63 loss

Ian

34 minutes

6 points

4 rebs

2 blks

Tommie's 28 points couldn't offset Ian poor game as Kevin shot 1-10

Temple 85-79 loss

Ian

34 minutes

11 pts

6 rebs

1 blk

Tommie's career day couldn't offset a so-so day by Ian combined with Kevin only playing 15 minutes and taking only 3 shots.

These 3 teams had a combined record of 13-26 at the time of play. What these 3 games plus the 2nd Xavier games indicates is the guard dictate wins and losses for SLU. These two guard are still there. We should be winning more.

I liked Ian but his loss is not akin to losing Shaq. The keys to this team success has always been in guard play.

I don't disagree with that, but I think everyone is quick to dismiss how much Ian meant to the guard play. Some of Ian's bad days were likely due to double and triple teams, but that paved the way for Tommie and Kevin's good days.

I don't disagree with that, but I think everyone is quick to dismiss how much Ian meant to the guard play. Some of Ian's bad days were likely due to double and triple teams, but that paved the way for Tommie and Kevin's good days.

I know I may appear dismissive of Ian's play but I'm not. Ian had value. I remember Coach Soderberg saying we are

going to play more umptempo but were going to look for Ian as our 1st option. How is that possible? People make it seems as if Tommie and Kevin were successful only due to Voyoukas. I think Voyoukas would've be much more successful with our

guards aggressively attacking the basket as it would have forced opposing teams big people to adjust and get out of position.

A byproduct of that is opportunities for offensive rebounding, foul trouble for their big men. With Ian I think we had some of the same problems we have now in terms of passing good scoring opportunities for the sake of motion. With Ian we passed up good scoring opportunities for the sake of getting Ian involved.

I know I may appear dismissive of Ian's play but I'm not. Ian had value. I remember Coach Soderberg saying we are

going to play more umptempo but were going to look for Ian as our 1st option. How is that possible? People make it seems as if Tommie and Kevin were successful only due to Voyoukas. I think Voyoukas would've be much more successful with our

guards aggressively attacking the basket as it would have forced opposing teams big people to adjust and get out of position.

A byproduct of that is opportunities for offensive rebounding, foul trouble for their big men. With Ian I think we had some of the same problems we have now in terms of passing good scoring opportunities for the sake of motion. With Ian we passed up good scoring opportunities for the sake of getting Ian involved.

Obviously, Kevin and Tommie weren't successful only because of Ian. however, i think this year, we are seeing that ian did add a lot of value to their games. Also, we are also seeing that Sodie's system gave TL and KL more freedom and therefore, Sodie probably utilized KL and TL better than RM is doing. I wish there was a middle ground between Sodie's short-term strategy and RM's long-term plan.

I don't doubt that RM's system is/has hindered TL and KL and this is compounded by not having any interior presence.

Obviously, Kevin and Tommie weren't successful only because of Ian. however, i think this year, we are seeing that ian did add a lot of value to their games. Also, we are also seeing that Sodie's system gave TL and KL more freedom and therefore, Sodie probably utilized KL and TL better than RM is doing. I wish there was a middle ground between Sodie's short-term strategy and RM's long-term plan.

I don't doubt that RM's system is/has hindered TL and KL and this is compounded by not having any interior presence.

I agree. I fully understand what Coach Majerus is doing. But it's clear these players won't reap the benefits of his system.

So I believe he must be doing it for the coaching staff.

But it's clear these players won't reap the benefits of his system.

Perhaps not in the first part of the season, but hopefully it will pay dividends in the latter half of this season and next year.

So I believe he must be doing it for the coaching staff.

How do you mean? You think he is trying to get them caught up to speed this year?

How do you mean? You think he is trying to get them caught up to speed this year?

Possibly. Next year were going to be losing a lot in terms of experience with Luke and Polk. If it's true that he is edging

some guys off the team the only thing you have coming back is Barry,Tommie, and Kevin. That's a sick thought BTK.

Combining those two with the incoming frosh class is a scary thought in the negative sense. There is no way the incoming

class will be able pick up this complicated system. I don't care if Tommie and Kevin were forcing them to run the system during pick up games during the summer. I don't truly expect to see dividends until year 3.

1) To the guy who says we don't play uptempo, we are actually pushing the ball up harder than I can ever remember us. We never walk the ball up the court - Dwayne and Kevin get it down in a hurry. I remember listening to Brad get bashed for the same thing, and he said on the radio, "Fans tend to forget that there is another team out there keeping you from getting any easy baskets on the break. Division 1 teams like to get back on defence" [He says with sarcasm]. It is a lot easier to look like an uptempo team if you have guys out there who can get a decent shot whenever they want to because they happen to be Lebron James or Dwayne Wade.

2) Not having a guy that can score inside is killing them. Or not having a third guy that can score is killing them. Luke stepped up against Dayton and it sure helped. When Kevin comes off a screen, and the D flashes help and then gets back, the guy whose man screened off has got to make them pay. For whatever reason, the D is able to recover and keep it from happening. A third threat would really help. Again, when Barry scores double digits or Bryce surprises with some points we tend to win, but too many times that does not happen.

3) For people that say Ian didn't do much last year, I guarantee that Soderberg would be the first to say that was not true. Especially at the end of the year, when Soderberg, Ramsey, and Austin were all saying the Bills were picking it up do to Ian's play.

4) I think JaleJarr is right about the team next year and lack of experience coming back but they will still have 4 more players next year (he forgot Eckerle) over this year who played under Majerus. They need to be able to move Barry to the 4. I am not sure how those two big freshman will be, since freshman big men tend to take awhile to get used to D1 (moreso than guards) and if they are they tend to go to the pros after a year or two. I am sure we are looking for a juco big man.

David - as much as I respect your opinion, and you know I do, we have 4 players over 6'5": Relphorde - 6'7", Eberhardt - 6'7", Knollmeyer - 6'9", and Husak - 7'0".

The Dayton game was a tribute to the coach and the team for 40 minutes,

You could see the following anhow could they compete-but they did.

Each of our players is flawed but they played hard.

This one of the few times when Lisch has been outplayed; but Roberts may be the best in the league and Lisch was fighting through one and two screens to get close-KL was plaing against 2- 3 Dayton players

BE is now listed as 6'5" and all four of his 4 fouls against Dayton were because he can't keep up to his opponent-he grabs them

Lisch looked like his hand is hurt again on one shot he had a 15 foot airball that went sideways

Danny Brown tried to jump on one lay up and came down lame-he used to have springs before he got hurt

MR averages a foul ever 2 nd or 3rd minute- he needs more time but it shows how shallow a team we have that he got minutes against Dayton

AK had his best minutes of the season

Husak got the opening tip for us and set the tone of the game

I can't wait for us to have more players

"These are not my stats. They are a matter of record. You mentioned that Ian played less minutes against weaker teams because they needed him less is a bit silly. Blowouts victories for this team were far and few. The only reasons his minutes were short were due to his ineffectiveness or foul trouble.

In the 15 games were Ian played less than 30 minutes the Bills were 11-4. What those 15 games show is that the Bills could sustain a sub-par to poor effort by Ian, however a poor showing by Kevin or Tommie almost always meant doom".

Find Bryce's name anywhere in my post.

You don't need to mention his name it is inferred. The only difference from last year's team and this year's team is the post player. And that was a huge loss despite how you continue you to minimize his play. You are obviously a basketball illiterate. Regardless of Ian's stats in a particular game he always forced the opposition to account for him by double teaming him, which freed up other players. Brad himself was the first to point this out last year, when people would criticize Ian's play last year.

Possibly. Next year were going to be losing a lot in terms of experience with Luke and Polk. If it's true that he is edging

some guys off the team the only thing you have coming back is Barry,Tommie, and Kevin. That's a sick thought BTK.

Combining those two with the incoming frosh class is a scary thought in the negative sense. There is no way the incoming

class will be able pick up this complicated system. I don't care if Tommie and Kevin were forcing them to run the system during pick up games during the summer. I don't truly expect to see dividends until year 3.

Replacing Polk, a loss??? Yeah, we are really going to miss that 2-3 points a game that he gives us.

Big bill fan, you are choosing not to understand what Jale is saying. He has repeatedly pointed out that Ian did a lot of the hard work, but it required Tommie AND Kevin to put us over the top in many of the games the last couple years. If either Tommie or Kevin had a bad game, we lost. If Ian had a bad game, he still drew double teams and had to be accounted for at all times, a luxury the double LLs no longer have.

Within any system, you need to game plan to your strengths. All the teams we play this year are game planning to take Tommie and Kevin out of their games. Between the new system, learning and doing cuts, passes, screens, inbounds plays, positioning, and when, where, why, and how to shoot, the LLs often got lost early in the season, to the detriment of team wins. There have been a couple games where our coaching staff did a much more effective job muzzling our offense than the opposition.

You wrote "You are obviously a basketball illiterate" regarding Jale. If you honestly think this jab is true, it is more reflective of your basketball knowledge than Jale's knowledge. Jale has a very solid CV of posts without attacking peoples' thoughts. We can disagree, but do try to to give your thoughts and backing evidence to support your position, rather than being snarky.

If Rickma is a basketball coaching genius, he has to realize any chance we have of winning the A10 tournament resides in developing a deeper bench rotation. The two keys are squeezing effective minutes out of Knollmeyer/Relphorde so Eberhardt and Husak can play for 10-12 minutes together when we need to go big, and getting Mitchell minutes so he can play 10 minutes of quality defense. We have always died by the second/third game of the tournament(if we got that far,) so why repeat history again with yet another season of short benching? Actual game time also serves as a very effective development tool in a season where the staff and fans have purchased low expectations.

Big bill fan, you are choosing not to understand what Jale is saying. He has repeatedly pointed out that Ian did a lot of the hard work, but it required Tommie AND Kevin to put us over the top in many of the games the last couple years. If either Tommie or Kevin had a bad game, we lost. If Ian had a bad game, he still drew double teams and had to be accounted for at all times, a luxury the double LLs no longer have.

Within any system, you need to game plan to your strengths. All the teams we play this year are game planning to take Tommie and Kevin out of their games. Between the new system, learning and doing cuts, passes, screens, inbounds plays, positioning, and when, where, why, and how to shoot, the LLs often got lost early in the season, to the detriment of team wins. There have been a couple games where our coaching staff did a much more effective job muzzling our offense than the opposition.

You wrote "You are obviously a basketball illiterate" regarding Jale. If you honestly think this jab is true, it is more reflective of your basketball knowledge than Jale's knowledge. Jale has a very solid CV of posts without attacking peoples' thoughts. We can disagree, but do try to to give your thoughts and backing evidence to support your position, rather than being snarky.

If Rickma is a basketball coaching genius, he has to realize any chance we have of winning the A10 tournament resides in developing a deeper bench rotation. The two keys are squeezing effective minutes out of Knollmeyer/Relphorde so Eberhardt and Husak can play for 10-12 minutes together when we need to go big, and getting Mitchell minutes so he can play 10 minutes of quality defense. We have always died by the second/third game of the tournament(if we got that far,) so why repeat history again with yet another season of short benching? Actual game time also serves as a very effective development tool in a season where the staff and fans have purchased low expectations.

You are wrong Dave, I never said it was all Ian. It was the combination of Tommie, Kevin, and Ian. This year Ian is not here, and we have no inside presence at all. None!!!! I don't care who you put in the middle with this current roster, they can't even come close to providing what Ian did in any area. There is no coach in basketball today, that is going to take this roster of players and make it a good team. I'm sorry that you feel Jale's basketball knowledge has been slighted, however if one can't understand the importance of having an inside threat then they don't understand basketball. Furthermore to blame a new coach who doesn't have any control over the current personnel is being blatanly unfair.

This is to Dave and Jale, who know a lot more about hoop x's and o's than a lot of us. To discount IV's role in TL and KL's play last year is wrong. It doesn't take a hoops guru, genius, maven, etc to know an opponent is going to key his defense to stop your principal scoring threat. Which last season was IV, even though he wasn't the leading scorer. So when you drop back 2-3 guys to stop him you obviously create an opening somewhere else. In steps TL and KL. TL, as I recall, got a lot of open 3 looks early last year as teams, based on his 3 pt freshman performance, left him alone out there. They weren't so easy to come by as the season progressed because he was hitting them. Our lack of any kind of scoring threat down low is killing us this year, plus the fact DP can't hit an uncontested attempt into the Atlantic ocean is putting a lot more pressure on TL and KL. Look at the GW fiasco. They blocked what, 13 shots inside? That scoring area was pretty much decimated. Which puts all that much more pressure on the perimiter guys. And really we don't have a deadeye out there right now. Not even KL. Yes, TL and KL are having a tough year. And RM's system maybe a contributor. But take away Randy Moss from Tom Brady for a season. Does Welker still catch all those short ones? No, because more of the defense will now focus on him, since they don't have to cover Moss deep with two guys.

This is to Dave and Jale, who know a lot more about hoop x's and o's than a lot of us. To discount IV's role in TL and KL's play last year is wrong. It doesn't take a hoops guru, genius, maven, etc to know an opponent is going to key his defense to stop your principal scoring threat.

Somewhere in this thread my point was lost. I was not saying Voyoukas was irrelevant. I was saying his loss isn't the sole reason this team is struggling. I even provided statistical data to back up this point. Somehow the genius known as BigBillFan couldn't accept the data. While it's true Tommie's numbers went up the longer Voyoukas played(Kevin's dipped a bit) the winning didn't. Voyoukas played over 30 minutes in 15 games, team record 7-8. In the other 15 regular season games Voyoukas averaged 22.8 minutes, team record 11-4. That's a whole lot of minutes without Voyoukas being on the floor. If I am to understand Big Bill that means teams where still game planning to stop Voyoukas even when he was not on the court. Maybe that it why the team had such a disparity in winning % due to teams assigning a man to stop Voyoukas while he was on the bench, which allowed Kevin and Tommie uncontested shots. When do we start our vaunted free throw defense?

We aren't discounting Ian's value one iota. If you look at historical posts, Skip and I were at the forefront of Ian cheerleaders, and Tommie definitely had conversations with Jale regarding Ian's contributions. It was obvious that Ian created huge spacing advantages for Tommie, as he shot that twinkletoed 3 ptr all season, with very little lift off the floor. Jale would be one of the first to point out Luke's great game can be traced to Dayton being coached to allow Luke to kill them, but not the LLs. It was a war of attrition, and in the end, Luke went a little cold, Tommie was controlled, and Kevin ran out of energy(as Roy noted) running through triple screens all night.

Rickma stressed his system and his paradigms at the beginning of the season to the point that the LLs were in a tharn state for much of the early games, unsure of the lattitude they had within the system, because Rickma hadn't taught them that lesson yet.

The point is coaching. If you are in a season where your two best players are the spear carriers for the entire team, you can either develop strategies within your system to stress their talents, or you can teach the system and accept the status quo results. When I look at a box score and don't see Luke with the third highest shot attempts, or see walkons with ten attempts, I know we have another loss. Eberle and Polk will not win us games on offense this year. The other team has successfully dictated how we play our offense, and forced our low percentage shooters who can't create space into highly contested shots or long distance threes.

Rickma plays a system where we have even fewer offensive possessions than under FRUBS. If he fully implements the Utah offensive schemes next year, I think we will see about 4 ppg less than this year, as the freshmen will have a long learning curve, and will get even more chewed up that this year's team has been. We will be in the same offensive quandry with Luke being replaced by Barry, Polk being Eberle, and Husak being the freshmen committee.