Billiken Band CD

AMDG

I have always wanted the Billiken Band to record a CD of all of the songs they play during the games. I would definately buy a copy. Does anybody know anybody in the right places that might be able to make that happen? I want to listen to the Billiken Band play the songs to get pumped up for the games!

That would be great! It would probably sound best if they just found a way to record live at the games and then pick the best sounding songs. The atmosphere and acoustics of game day would sound much better than a studio, I would think. In fact, they should probably wait until next year. I think the sound in the new smaller building would be even better.

That would be great! It would probably sound best if they just found a way to record live at the games and then pick the best sounding songs. The atmosphere and acoustics of game day would sound much better than a studio, I would think. In fact, they should probably wait until next year. I think the sound in the new smaller building would be even better.

Actually, no, this is not the best way to record a CD. We've actually had this done before, and were quite disappointed. That set of recordings includes poor acoustics (Kiel is NOT a concert hall), PA announcements in the background as well as other crowd noise and only parts of songs due to the length of timeouts and other events during those timeouts.

First and foremost, we're musicians, and we like to get things right... tempos, dynamics and various parts of songs that may not come across where you're sitting mean a LOT to US. (and when we don't get to finish a song, why would we put that on display on a CD)

The only way to go, and I have a collection of CDs from various University's bands that demonstrate this, is to record virtually ALL of the music for the CD in a hall/theatre of some type. Then you can do exactly what the professional artists do.... take the absolute BEST cut of each recording of the song for the CD. (Then a couple, maybe 2 cuts, can be picked up live for that "live" feel you speak of. )

We cannot do that at Scotttrade because our primary mission THERE is to be a part of the game, and play for the crowd. (Would you like to hear us play a song 6 straight times in a game just to get the best "take"? Why should we divert from our goal on game nites? I don't think we should.)

This is certainly something we'd like to do at some point, but the lack of funds from the athletic department (remember, they didn't send us to the conference tournament for the first time in 20 years last year), the lack of a space to record in, and the lack of knowledge of the marketplace (how many would we sell?) make it something that we haven't been able to do up to our own standards, yet.

I love the fact that people are interested in and support us. Thanks for the support and we'll see you next week!

I would certainly buy a copy and buy several more to give as gifts. I think they would sell well at home games and could be a big fundraiser for the band.

just getting my requests in on must have's for the upcoming cd ;)

my top 5 billiken band songs:

5. "vehicle" especially when they get the lead singer out front doing the lyrics

4."livin on a prayer" i really enjoyed this last week when they had the blue crew sing the verse.

3. "hey baby" when it is played it is always fun to listen to the "revised lyrics". for the cd just rip mi$$ouri.

2. "sweet caroline" seems we tend to hear after a victory as we are exiting the arena. good mood great song

1. "takin it to the streets" simply the best arrangement the band has imo. they really tear this apart. great great job.

This household would also buy some copies. Frankly, I've looked for them (that evidently don't exist) in the past.

Would it be feasible to record at Powell Hall?

As for the songs, I always liked the way the Band serenaded DePaul with "Sweet Home Chicago," as the Blue Demons left the court. The Band received publicity for greeting Rick Pitino's Louisville teams with the Kentucky fight song.

And, of course, the Band was in the rarest of rare form for that first Mizzou game at The Dome. The Band sung "Hey Baby," as follows:

"Hey, hey Tigers.

I want to know, can I fly first class?"

I have no idea how this works in the music business, but could they just play any song and sell it on a CD? Or would the band have to pay some royalty fees to whoever wrote the songs?

They shouldn't record until they learn "Billiken Rag." No royalties due on it, either.