Stadium

AB34

There's nothing wrong with the sentence, "Learn and use the proper English syntax." I suppose you want him to say, "Learn to use the proper...," but that changes the meaning of his sentence. His sentence prescribes two steps:

1. Learn the proper syntax; and (in case you've already completed Step 1)

2. Use the proper syntax.

i believe thicks is a high school english teacher. so if my choice is to believe the tigertroll or the english teacher on this one, i think thicks wins.

There is no definitive convention which calls for the seperation of transitive or, for that matter, intransitive verbs with commas. You are just trying to change the subject of your incoherent ramblings. You made statements about basketball that were very difficult to understand. Just admit it.

Why do you insist on bothering us?

You are not correct. "Learn and use" is a compound verb. It does not require commas. The compound verb is modified by "the proper syntax."

Do you recognize the difference between the following two sentences?

1a. Learn and listen to God. (wrong)

2a. Learn and obey the Ten Commandments.

Changes:

1b. Learn to listen to God. (correct)

2b. Learn to obey the Ten Commandments. (changed meaning)

The second version of Sentence 2 presumes that the addressee already knows the Ten Commandments but isn't obeying them. But the first versiou suggests that the addressee doesn't know them yet. Furthermore, to say just, "Learn the Ten Commandments," suggests obtaining knowledge that might not be used.

Any questions?

I insist on bothering you because you insisted on calling me out for my original sentence. Ok, perhaps the sentence was a bit difficult to understand, but the point is that I was complimenting SLU's basketball faithful, and you guys were looking for another reason to attack the mizzou fan. Perhaps if you guys would just chill out you wouldn't have to "deal" with me being so "immature."

The fact of the matter is, as an outsider, it's impossible to discuss anything with you guys because it all comes back to your hatred for Mizzou. I'm not going to pretend that I don't like Mizzou, because I wouldn't expect any of you to pretend that you don't like SLU for me. But when I'm not discussing Mizzou in any way (Well, I suppose technically I mentioned Mizzou, but only as a point of reference in this argument), it shouldn't be your gut reaction to attack me. But if it is, well then, I guess there's not a whole hell of a lot I can do about that.

"The fact of the matter is, as an outsider, it's impossible to discuss anything with you guys because it all comes back to your hatred for Mizzou" - cheesycow

Cheese, it's impossible to argue with us, because you never say anything other than taking shots and stupis one liners about MU. It has been that way from day one since you came on the board. None of your posts have any substance, they just are quick one liners with little to know meaning. How is that our fault? Seriously, I'm not arguing just to be arguing, but it's true.

As far as the grammatical thing, guys??? Are you serious? Did I just log on and read about syntax and crap??? You have to be kidding me! This is a sports message board, not a disseration being sent for review. I can't even believe the posts on that stuff. Wow!

Tonka:

I agree. I don't know why we argue about grammar. However, when some of the posters write, it is as if they are writing in another language. I could not care any less when people use "then" instead of "than" or any of the other goofy things, but when the sentences (if you can call them that) are nonsensical, it makes it impossible to understand what someone is trying to say.

I think the biggest problem is that people don't proof-read what they have written. Then, next thing you know, we spend 50 posts debating a point that wasn't even intended. It gets old.