Richard Anderson

Majerus Magic

It's from a scout article. (Premium)

Mizzou At the Top for Richard Anderson?

http://missouri.scout.com/2/684553.html

the interesting part about that article is he lists about 9 schools and says he wants to remain near St. Louis yet we aren't listed in the 9 (which inlcudes at least 2 valley teams) so I have to wonder if we are even recruiting him.

Nate, do you have any color on why we are or aren't recruiting him?

the interesting part about that article is he lists about 9 schools and says he wants to remain near St. Louis yet we aren't listed in the 9 (which inlcudes at least 2 valley teams) so I have to wonder if we are even recruiting him.

There are certain things about Richard Anderson that would cause some schools to stay away. I don't know if that is the case with SLU or if Richard Anderson is just not interested in SLU.

There are certain things about Richard Anderson that would cause some schools to stay away. I don't know if that is the case with SLU or if Richard Anderson is just not interested in SLU.

Anderson should've had an offer from SLU LONGGGGGG AGO. He was clearly the top interior talent in the entire area, any class. I consider Griffey more than a post player for those wondering.

Guest BillikenReport

I do.

But I'll keep it to myself this time after what happened the last time I commented on him.

I will say that I think the move to Milestone will be good for him.

- Nate

Guest BillikenReport

So, does that mean, at this point, he is not one of our recruiting targets?

I don't think so.

But I can't say for sure because I'm not sure what SLU is looking for in the Class of 2009 and how many kids they will try to bring in.

Tyler Griffey is supposed to be a priority recruit for them. He's a small or power forward.

The Billikens are going to need another point guard in that class.

So after that do you target the best player available or recruit for a specific position? They'll have decent depth with the '08 class, with another one or two kids still to be added to that group.

I think they only have three scholarships to offer for that class, but that could change if kids leave, don't qualify, etc.

- Nate

I don't think so.

But I can't say for sure because I'm not sure what SLU is looking for in the Class of 2009 and how many kids they will try to bring in.

Tyler Griffey is supposed to be a priority recruit for them. He's a small or power forward.

The Billikens are going to need another point guard in that class.

So after that do you target the best player available or recruit for a specific position? They'll have decent depth with the '08 class, with another one or two kids still to be added to that group.

I think they only have three scholarships to offer for that class, but that could change if kids leave, don't qualify, etc.

- Nate

I think I'd be interested in us picking up a few kids from that Milestone class, mainly Jerome Jones' partner-in-crime at the Ramey tourney a few weeks ago (can't remember his name). He was basically Jones w/ an outside shot, had a great college body, about 6'6" w/ handles and an outside shot (from what I could tell anyways).

the kid you are talking about is probably Cortez Barrett. I know with Majerus' reputation, he'll recruit great players. Does that mean not offering Anderson isnt a mistake? He will definitely get high-major offers and is from St. Louis. Give me some feedback here.

No... haven't heard of Cortez Barrett, any info? This kid's last name was a two parter - I think something french dash Smith... Marcel-Smith maybe?

EDIT: Marcel Taylor-Smith, 6'5", transferred to Milestone from Vashon.

He played at Career Academy with Jones and couldnt stay on the court due to grades or attutude, transfered to Vashon and it was more of the same there. Now he is off to Milestone.

Hmmm... maybe we don't want him. Who knows, I'm sure we'll be recruiting better very soon if not already.

He played at Career Academy with Jones and couldnt stay on the court due to grades or attutude, transfered to Vashon and it was more of the same there. Now he is off to Milestone.

They were at Career Academy together for a year, but I'm not sure Jones played varsity that year. Marcel has also reclassified to class of 2009 so he can get back last year's lost season. If he's a legit 6'6 he could be a nice player. He's already added an outside jumper that he didnt have while at Career Academy in 2006.

Guest BillikenReport

Does that mean not offering Anderson isnt a mistake? He will definitely get high-major offers and is from St. Louis. Give me some feedback here.

Here's your feedback:

Majerus is trying to recruit a certain type of player for SLU. In most cases he's gone after kids with proven academic track records (Eckerle, Conklin, John) and kids who have won championships at the high school level (K. Mitchell, Conklin and John).

- Nate

They were at Career Academy together for a year, but I'm not sure Jones played varsity that year. Marcel has also reclassified to class of 2009 so he can get back last year's lost season. If he's a legit 6'6 he could be a nice player. He's already added an outside jumper that he didnt have while at Career Academy in 2006.

Thanks for clearing that up. Hes probably around 6'5. I liked his game, during that tourney everyone would basically clear out for him and he was scoring at will inside and out. One thing I noticed was that he was very lethargic out there but it was an allstar game.

I think its a good idea to keep an eye on him for two reasons, he could develop into a very solid player for 4 years but also if we can get a nice little pipeline with Milestone that would be great.

Thanks for clearing that up. Hes probably around 6'5. I liked his game, during that tourney everyone would basically clear out for him and he was scoring at will inside and out. One thing I noticed was that he was very lethargic out there but it was an allstar game.

I think its a good idea to keep an eye on him for two reasons, he could develop into a very solid player for 4 years but also if we can get a nice little pipeline with Milestone that would be great.

And I just checked the roster and Jones wasnt on varsity in 2005-2006. Smith was the starting center first semester, but was ineligible. The last time I saw him play that year was in the Shootout when one of the teams pulled out and Career Academy was a last minute addition.

Guest BillikenReport

And I just checked the roster and Jones wasnt on varsity in 2005-2006. Smith was the starting center first semester, but was ineligible. The last time I saw him play that year was in the Shootout when one of the teams pulled out and Career Academy was a last minute addition.

Marcel Taylor-Smith could have had a nice career at Career Academy.

Instead, he's at his third high school in three years and has reclassified as a junior to help his basketball career.

Taylor-Smith and Kenny Harris are two kids who had potentially bright futures who made bad decisions.

Harris was a starter at Soldan as a freshman, then transferred to Vashon as a sophomore and hardly played. Then he transferred to Gateway Tech and was ruled ineligible after playing in a few games. Now he's a senior and he's barely played varsity ball in the last two seasons.

- Nate

the kid you are talking about is probably Cortez Barrett. I know with Majerus' reputation, he'll recruit great players. Does that mean not offering Anderson isnt a mistake? He will definitely get high-major offers and is from St. Louis. Give me some feedback here.

I think Majerus will be able to survive not offering Richard Anderson. Not every player fits what every program is looking for. I have the feeling the Anderson doesn't fit what SLU is looking. Good luck to him and I hope he gets his act together.