DeSmet vs. Borgia

Billiken75

Double teamed him on the perimeter and in the post and made him give the ball up. Borgia doesn't have any above average athletes other than Luke and 5'7 Alex Moosman and the height advantage that Desmet had was comical. Borgia's starters were 6'5, 6'2, 6'0, 5'8 and 5'7. Desmet's starting lineup is 6'7, 6'6', 6'4, 6'4 and 5'10.

i just missed the name, but frank c said this morning on kfns that a desmet player had turned down a scholarship elsewhere and will walk on at slu instead next year. who was he talking about?

if he is good as 3 star says, and brad wont give him a scholarship, does that mean that there is an even better pf out there about to commit to slu!

>Hope it's Mike Kalicak. The kid is 6'7 and has skills.

Kalicak would be a great walk-on--6'7" wing--but David Ward would be nice too (he's a 6'6" post player but put a hard working kid like that on the weight program and you might end up in year or two with a guy who can contributed minutes without eating a scholarship). Here is a link to the DeSmet box scores from this year:

http://prepsports3.stltoday.com/basketball...schedule57.shtm

Kalicak is 6-7, listed a little over 200 lbs, and is much more of a wing. Actually, when I've seen him this season he's been used more as the primary ballhandler for DeSmet. As 3star posted, he's got skills.

Ward is 6-6 225lbs. He plays in the post and is a 4 year varsity player, one of only 3 in the history of the DeSmet program (Matt Baniak wa the most recent one before Ward). He is a 3 year starter.

From what I have heard is that Kalicak had offers from Navy, UMKC, and Albany, but turned those schools down and is now going to SLU. Kalicak will probably be one of the best walk ons SLU has ever had imo. Also I dont think SLU is very interested in Ward, being a 6'6 post player. I hear they really like the soph over at DeSmet. Kalicak will be a great player though.

two cents.

I have seen a lot of the mentioned kids. David Ward, great kid, always banging with much taller, more athletic kids. He has scored more in past years vs this year. Problem with Ward for college is height. He is strong, physical, smart, and a typical "team" player, fundamentally strong. He has been 6'5 6'6 for four years now. he has nice post game. To me, a very good high schooler who never got taller, which is too bad.

Mike Kalicak, 6'7, long arms, another smart, fundamentally sound kid. He is a wing player, and brings it up for point guard challenged DeSmet this season. Good outside shooter, not great, shoots 3's. Nice mid-range game. Good competitor, a finesse outside player who can take it inside when he needs to. Not a post player. He would be a 2 or 3 in college. Needs quicker feet, quicker release...but can work on that. He would be a nice walk-on for SLU....if he didn't wind up getting in the mix playing-time wise for SLU,I would think he would transfer after two years. Size-wise, he would be comparable to Chris Sloan when he entered SLU. The only time he is bringing it up the floor in college is when press is on...If he were 6'9...he would be one of those tough to guard big's who can play outside too.

Kalicak would be a very good addition as a walk-on. He's definitely not a post player, but anytime you can add a 6-foot-7 kid with guard skills — he can shoot, pass, jump — without using a scholarship, it's a great addition.

The last I heard about Kalicak was that he was hoping Tulsa was going to offer him a scholarship. At the beginning of the season he had offers from two lower-level Division I schools out east, but he was waiting for something better.

Don't be surprised if Kalicak winds up on scholarship -- as a freshman. (I'm just throwing that out there as something to think about.)

I don't think David Ward would be able to contribute much (if he were to walk on). He's most likely a Division 2 guy somewhere and he's had a rough season. In one game I watched he went scoreless; in another, he had two points on a pair of garbage-time free throws. Ward has some skills but he's only 6-6 and he doesn't play any bigger than that, as opposed to guys like Kalen Grimes, Matt Shaw and Randal Falker who are similar in size but play like they are several inches taller.

- Nate