Donigan Signs Two More Recruits

Danny Boy seems to have a decent pipeline to Texas:

Donigan Adds a Pair of Texas Prep Teammates

Duo will help bolster the Billikens' attack

May 9, 2007

ST. LOUIS - Saint Louis head men's soccer coach Dan Donigan announced that Beau Bellomy and Charles Bryce have agreed to attend the University and play soccer for the Billikens. The duo were teammates at the Jesuit College Preparatory School of Dallas. Both will have four years of eligibility beginning with the 2007-08 academic year.

Bellomy, a forward, earned District 7-5A Offensive MVP honors after leading the team with 15 goals. Also a first-team All-District selection in 2006, Bellomy helped the Rangers to the State semifinals after burying a team-leading 17 goals. During his sophomore season, he scored six times in leading Jesuit to the regional finals. In addition to his prep career, Bellomy is a two-year captain of the Texas Longhorns Soccer Club, where he accumulated 30 points (11G, 8A) during the 2006-07 season.

"Beau is a talented attacking player with great size and the ability to run at defenders with speed and intelligence," Donigan said. "I anticipate that Beau will add depth to our attack and develop into a great college player. We expect some positive things from Beau over the next four years."

Bryce, also a forward, joined Bellomy on the All-District first team after tallying 14 goals and eight assists in helping the Rangers to a 20-1-1 record and the second round of the playoffs in 2007. He notched seven goals his junior year en route to earning All-District honors and was also a starter during his sophomore campaign. Bryce was a member of the Dallas Texans Red North Club for two years. During the 2007 Dallas Cup, he scored three goals in three games. Additionally, he helped his team to a third place Classic League finish in 2006.

"Charles is big and strong and possesses great speed," Donigan said. "These are qualities that you can't teach, so I am looking forward to the opportunity to fine tune his soccer sense and overall efficiency as a player within our system.I believe that Charles has the potential to contribute at this level and, with the proper training environment that we have here at Saint Louis, he should benefit from the players around him."

The pair joins an incoming class that includes transfer Brandon Barklage (St. Louis, Mo./CBC/New Mexico), Josh Boemecke (O'Fallon, Ill./O'Fallon), Casey Herd (Arlington, Texas/Martin), David Kekec (St. Louis, Mo./Ladue) and Jordan Osborn (St. Charles, Mo./Francis Howell North).

These two guys attended my alma mater, JCP in Dallas is a local powerhouse here in Dallas and were state runner-ups last year and were ranked #1 for most of the year here in Dallas. Hopefully the women's team can start to get some players from national powerhouse Ursuline Academy here in Dallas.

is when SLU men will open the season at SMU...for anyone in or near Dallas. Terrific matchup.

Dallas Texans and Solar are great club programs in that area and SMU has been a power for decades. They have gotten their share of top St. Louis players in that time.(Pat Clendenny wil be a Frosh this uocoming season, solid good player). Kevin Grimes, the coach at a good Cal program, Scott Ross, Tim Hudson, and many more. They have come up short many times in post-season quarters, and more recently in Final Fours, but a soccer power down there. It's the only D-1 program in the state. SLU has been recruiting there for some time. Ryan Wileman has seen the best results, and has really been the only solid contributor from Texas for SLU up to this point.(His brother is a reserve for SMU btw).

SLU women are taking advantage of the multiple local things. Not many strong Midwest programs, and Mizzou's coach is not popular on STL club soccer circuit. Notre Dame far and away the best, with .. Illinois, KU, Marquette...but really limited strength in womesn programs in Midwest. This is way different than the men's game. SLU has been able to lock up many more local kids , and regional kids. Some of the super elite go to UNC and Notre Dame, etc...but SLU is locking up kids who are a notch below that but still good womesn soccer players and are ahead of the game vs other programs. Eventually competition will be much stronger...as every year programs are started and building in womesn soccer. But SLU is in a nice spot and has steadily built a nice womens soccer program...and Drea Barklage, strong junior back from IWA and brother of Brandon Barklage, SLU's highly touted transfer has verballed to SLU earlier this year.

Hate to disagree with one thing, but Wileman was not the only solid Texas contributor to the cause at SLU. On the defensive side, Dave Williams '00 (pledge brother of mine), who I'm sure played for Dallas Jesuit and the Texans and now coaches Jesuits' JV, was a solid starter at SLU. He came in as a walk-on but was a mainstay on the field once he got out there. Defensively solid, hard worker. Williams was on that final four team in '97. Remember talking to him after he got back from Mud Bowl with SMU to get to the final four and he said the field was an absolute mess that night.

Don't get me wrong. Wileman took it up a notch with his offense in his senior year but Williams was good on the defensive side during his tenure.

That is fair and true. But the ROI for SLU with Texas kids hasn't been in the same stratosphere as SMU's ROU on St. Louis kids....mostly because they come in every few years and only take the very top level player. When SMU lands STL kids, they land the very top few of that particular class. Jamie Hartley etc...so many off of top of my head, big time players from STL that played at SMU.

I marked my calendar and hope to make it to that game. I saw the last SLU game at SMU. SLU won then SMU went on to win all the rest of their games and make it to the final 4. I was hoping SLU would face SMU in the tourney last year and I could see them again but it didn't happen as SLU choked in the early rounds as has become their habit lately.

Jesuit is the Soccer Powerhouse here in the DFW Metroplex but Nolan Catholic is the Football Powerhouse (for private schools).

>I marked my calendar and hope to make it to that game. I

>saw the last SLU game at SMU. SLU won then SMU went on to

>win all the rest of their games and make it to the final 4.

>I was hoping SLU would face SMU in the tourney last year and

>I could see them again but it didn't happen as SLU choked in

>the early rounds as has become their habit lately.

>

>Jesuit is the Soccer Powerhouse here in the DFW Metroplex

>but Nolan Catholic is the Football Powerhouse (for private

>schools).

SMU was seeded 3rd in last year's NCAA's ...and was knocked out in the 2nd round, same as 11th overall seed SLU, at home decisively. But they are a strong program. Tim McClements is back there assisting after Vanderbilt dropped its soccer program. He successfully recruited mnany St. Louis kids to Vanderbilt, including current Duke star Joe Germanese.

Thanks for the recap of facts I was obviously aware of. Just to continue the pointless volunteering of information that is unwarranted. Vanderbilt at one time competed in the MVC for soccer.

>Thanks for the recap of facts I was obviously aware of.

>Just to continue the pointless volunteering of information

>that is unwarranted. Vanderbilt at one time competed in the

>MVC for soccer.

I must have missed your reference to SMU being a 3 seed and losing in the 2nd round. I'm sure its there and I just missed it...considering they were in the same part of the brackets and all.

Speaking of Texas football powerhouses. Did you see that Southlake Carroll now has PSL's. I don't know for which seats, but they have them. Hopefully my boys from Arlington Lamar get back on track. The last couple of season's have been way below par for them.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

Southlake's Coach Dodge (or is it Dodd?) is now the Head Coach at University of North Texas. They have an awesome facility right across the street from Grapevine-Colleyville's Stadium which is also awesome.

I believe they have luxury boxes too. I think the coach is credited with perfecting the spread offense run by Mizzou and many other college programs. He used two have one of the biggest quarter back camps in the country when he was running Southlake. QBs from all over the country would attend. Chase Daniel the MU QB is a Southlake grad.

A-Bomb, Jesuit would beat FTW Nolan in football, Jesuit plays with the public schools (Berkner, Lake Highlands, Richardson).

SLC is getting crazy, they charge 5K a game for companies to have a billboard around the field. $20 gets you a game day program. The MLS team here in Dallas played at Dragon stadium while their new posh stadium up in Frisco was being constructed. I believe SLC had over 100 coaches apply for the open coaching job this year from like 5 different states.

You are giving Todd Dodge a little too much credit. Who besides Chase has been a top D1 QB. I'm not knocking Dodge, he's obviously a good coach. His kid Riley is signed with UT, but it's not sure if he will be a QB or not.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

I wasn't saying he has had a ton of good QBs, I just remember reading an article where they talked about his summer QB camp and it said that the QB at Teaxas and Troy Smith had both attended it. It talked about kids from all over the country going to it. It also gave him the credit for the current spread offense many teams run.