Harrelson

I almost rather hold on to the scholarship then have it go to Harrelson, next year his so deep in the area. Do you really want Harrelson taking up a spot if you can get both Thompson and Bradenberg?

I didn't see him play at all during the second half of last year. Did he really improve that much? I think Nate thinks he did. If that is the case I would maybe take a flyer on the kid if Ricky doesn't have anything up his sleeve.

Powell would be a great signing if he qualifies.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There was some talk during the high school season that Harrellson was interested in SLU if D. Thomas was let go at Western Illinois.

Brad Soderberg wasn't interested in Harrellson.

I don't know if Rick Majerus would be interested in Harrellson.

Harrellson is similar to Adam Knollmeyer in body type, though he's probably a little taller and heavier. I agree with Roy that Harrellson is not as athletic as Knollmeyer, though Harrellson might have a better all-around game.

Harrellson has good hands. He can rebound and pass and handle the ball a little bit. Physically, he has the size to play at the D-1 level.

One of the knocks on Harrellson is that he's kind of a knucklehead. I would imagine that Majerus would fix that ... or that Harrellson would be moving on somewhere else.

If Majerus can do better than add a back-up power forward/center like Harrellson, he should.

I don't see Harrellson as a bad fit at SLU with the current players on the roster. The Billikens need some size.

- Nate

doc b that was my point. knollmeyer is athletic. harrelson is not as athletic.

knollmeyer didnt make a difference. what makes anyone think that harrelson would come in here and do so?

>>We might be interested if we consider Harrelson true D-1, top 50 talent. I seem to recall that he is not actually very big -- like

around 6'5" or 6'6"??<<

You're thinking of someone else doc. Harrelson is 6'9" 250. The kid is a horse.

If Harrellson ends up at SLU, it would either be a great learning experience for him or we would all be hearing Harrellson and Majerus yelling from West Pine. The kid is talented, but his attitude needs some adjusting.

Plus, in high school it look like Harrellson was dominating because of his size and that he didn't have any post moves that would translate to the college level.

I've seen Harrellson play many times. He is perfect for the mid-major level. He is big and fairly athletic. However, it is was never his athleticism that impressed me. It was his ability to step out and shoot the 3-pt shot. He plays facing the basket. He hasn't developed much of a low post game yet. He does fit the style of play that Majerus likes to run. Personally, I like Harrellson better than Knollmeyer. Harrellson's athleticism shows on the defensive end, as he is a pretty decent shot blocker. He is not a powerful dunker or anything like that, but he is a good offensive rebounder. I supported V-Time about SLU recruiting big Josh. As far as the attitude issues, I cannot comment.

Josh never got any real exposure until last year when he played for Team Excalibur. However, they only went to a few D1 certified tournaments. He was a steal for Western Illinois. A year at the right JUCO, and he will a big time mid-major prospect. Two years of JUCO, and the kid is a high major for sure. I truly believe that!

scoop, he's very good. He just committed early to the school that was recruiting him the hardest. He's 6'9 260, athletic and can shoot, he would be a great pickup for SLU. He wasnt recruited heavily because he played on a SMALL time AAU team so he could play with his friends and not one of the bigger teams. He's a steal this late in the process and should've been 1st team All-Metro and he lead St. Charles to state this past season. He's very good.

I agree and his stock definitely rose as the season was going on as he proved himself against a lot of guys his size. He outplayed 6'8 Brian McGee of Jennings in a 25pt, 13 reb, 4 blk effort. He matched Ty Griffey in a victory of Lafayette. He had 15pts and 12 rebs on 6'10 Gavin Wiss, an emerging D1 prospect. He had 18pts and 18rebs against Leon Powell in a loss. Powell had 22 and 13. He matched Griffey in the second matchup and they won again. He had 18pts and 13 rebs and 6blks vs emerging D1 prospect Ryan Willen who plays for the Eagles I believe. That was the state semifinal game in which St. Charles lost by 2 points. He wasnt just dominating smaller guys. He's a really good player who like stlsfinest says, has a nice face up game in addition to being a load down load, drawing fouls and converting 68% of his FT's. His greatest asset might be his low post defense. He's the immovable object down there. He would probably struggle against a quicker guy that can play facing the basket, but he wont be outmuscled at 6'9 260. He looked pretty athletic at Riverwar too. He can go up and get the ball. He's a big powerful kid.

>Just to practice, we need depth up front. There will only

>be 3 guys on the roster over 6'5": Husak, Knollmeyer and

>Marcus Relphorde. There are 3 open scholarships and we'll

>lose 4 to graduation next year (for a total of 7). I'd take

>Harrelson as a depth sign. Then again, if Leon Powell

>qualifies late, I'd rather have Powell instead of Harrelson.

I've heard for some time now that Leon was considering Mizzou and SIU as walk-on options. However, recently a source close to the program told me that he's going to attend Missouri next year and sit and then play in 2008-2009. The source told me that he doesnt want to go to prep school or JUCO, just Mizzou. The source couldn't tell me for sure if Leon was sitting to get bigger, or sitting because of grades. He might have actually qualified now. I just read Tigerboard and they are not sure, but someone said he was going to prep school first and then maybe Mizzou. Either way, it looks like Mizzou is the favorite. I would hope that Majerus could land Harrellson and Powell, but that would take a lot of luck, Harrellson getting his release, getting Majerus to want him then signing, and then Majerus finding out who Powell is, assessing his talent, and then offering, as well as Leon's grades being in order.

That's not bad for a big guy. That's 2 out of every 3. He's a load and will get fouled a lot. He plays his best against guys his size. he has good outside touch, with some coaching that FT% can jump 10% points next year.

if Brad wanted Leon, then Bradley would not have been his first offer as Brad has watched Leon his whole career play for the area's top team, knowing he needed a 4 and SLU still wasnt Powell's first offer. Why would you want to play for a coach who obviously has you as an afterthought.

This is Lucas O'Rear all over again. Why would you wait on the smaller school to offer when there are tourney teams offering. Many have also said that Irons didnt want him to go to SLU, but I dont know how true that is.

Other tourney teams offered before SLU? Please name them considering in your previous post you said that the only offer he had before SLU was Bradley. Last time I checked they werent in the tourney. Plus why would he let Irons tell him where to go to college. Doesnt really add up Vtime

Bradley made the tournament in 2006. Your 2006 performance affects your 2007 recruiting class, not 2006 primarily. They also had the #10 pick in the draft. Maybe Majerus can get SLU back in the picture, but it looks like Mizzou right now, especially with SIU having so many quality inside players, Falker, Shaw,Boyle, Fay, and Evans. Harrellson wanted to come to SLU too. Brad gets in on guys too late. Roundtree wanted to come to SLU too. Brad gets in on guys too late. That what he did and thats why he's gone. Powell lead Vashon in scoring as a sophomore on the #1 ranked team in the country and his hometown coach doesnt offer him until well over a year later.

Listen, I can really care less about Leon Powell more power to him if he goes to mizzou and is splitting minutes with 10 other guys. You said he was DYING to come to SLU then he gets an offer from Bradley(nice team but not a major player) then Brad comes in and offers, so that makes us and Bradley am I right? Leon, who was BEGGING to come to SLU, decides to wait for "something better" ie Mizzery. Tell me, if you were dying to go to SLU would you wait to see if something betetr comes along?

You're right. When I posted the article that said Bradley was his first offer, P Diddy came in later that week and said that Brad had offered. We argued about it and then it was said that Earl confirmed. I just posted the link that said Bradley was his only offer on April 30, 2006. Spring of his junior year. He should've had an offer from SLU a year earlier as badly as SLU needed a pf.