Harrelson

Frank C. just said Harrelson has contacted Western Illinois to ask for a release from his LOI. Said that he has always wanted to go to SLU and if he gets his release Frank C. things he could help SLU next season. Said that he has no clue if SLU would be interested if he is granted his release. If no release will probably go JUCO because the bottom line is he doesn't want to attend Western Illinois.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If he doesn't receive his release, he would have to sit out. If he gets his release, since fall classes haven't started, he can go to whichever school he wants. If they do not give him his release he can go to JUCO for one year and then sign wherever since he qualified out of high school.

there's a reason that the 327th team in the country was his top choice. i would think he is headed to a juco to try to upgrade his outlook first.

I know v and roy went back and forth on Harrelson. I'm paraphrasing, but i believe V was mad we didn't offer a big athletic kid from the area that wanted to come to SLU. Roy countered that if Harrelson was so good, why did he only get offers from W. Ill.

I tend to agree with V on this one. SLU's problem has been finding athletic big bodies that might be able to contribute. Especially now, i think if he gets released, we should seriously consider offering.

Disclaimer: i've never seen the kid play.

is he a big athletic kid? or is he a big kid?

who would win the dunk contests and footraces with adam knollmeyer?

my point is my belief is that AT BEST he is adam II.

good point. my answer is that mitchell was a late bloomer that didnt play much his previous seasons due to injury (and an idiot coach) and never played aau ball. a true under the radar kid that improved like crazy as the season went along just last year. i saw him at he xmas tourney and wasnt all that impressed. i saw him two months later and it was hard to believe it was the same player.

I agree with you and V on this one; we're hurting now. We've lost JJ and IV, so the only kids bigger than MR are BH and AK, I believe.

And it doesn't hurt to take a waiver on a kid who says that he WANTS to be here. Hopefully, that desire will light a fire underneath him to do all that is possible to earn his minutes.

Disclaimer: I've also never seen him play.

as i stated above, is he more athletic than knollmeyer? imo no.

i like knollmeyer and believe he will eventually contribute. but imo we dont need adam II.

i am wondering if josh is trying to position himself to take advantage of our 3 open scholarships? i am betting that majerus has bigger plans. i will be surprised if this ends up a harrelson billiken marriage this summer. maybe after he goes and proves himself at mineral area or something it happens, but not this year.

we shall see.

Does everybody think banking all three scholarships is the correct strategy? You gotta wonder if Majerus has a player or two up his sleeve, though some of his comments regarding recruiting at this late a stage make me think otherwise.

Just to practice, we need depth up front. There will only be 3 guys on the roster over 6'5": Husak, Knollmeyer and Marcus Relphorde. There are 3 open scholarships and we'll lose 4 to graduation next year (for a total of 7). I'd take Harrelson as a depth sign. Then again, if Leon Powell qualifies late, I'd rather have Powell instead of Harrelson.

i wouldnt be opposed to signing mantas and/or eberhardt, however if majerus doesnt sign them i have to believe he believes he can do better.

my complete trust is in the guy with the gaudy career won loss record with no losing seasons ever. he knows what he is doing and if he doesnt want to take up a scholarship for four years in an effort to get a substantially better player next year so be it.

We might be interested if we consider Harrelson true D-1, top 50 talent. I seem to recall that he is not actually very big -- like

around 6'5" or 6'6"??

btw I think Knollmeyer is fairly athletic. it may have been impossible to judge on the court but I saw many many practices and summer pick-up games, and he always struck me as rangy, a hustler, and a surprising lift on the vertical. I think some folks may be underestimating the athleticism of AK.