A10-MVC Debate...

OK let's just say for arguments sake that Coach Majerus did discuss with Fr. Biondi his desire for SLU to leave the A10 for the MVC...does anyone have an idea how long this process could take, and how much money SLU would have to cough up to extricate themselves from the A10???

I'm still not certain it is a good idea, but who knows I guess it could happen. I might be able to warm up to the idea better if Xavier and Dayton decided to make the move with us.

Doc,

I read your other post, and believe me...I hope that you are 110% right on. While I do not like the way the A10 is run and some of its bottom feeders, I still think it is much more viable for SLU now.

First of all, there is no evidence at all to suggest that RM wants to move to the MVC other than the rumor started by that hack (and SLU hater) Bernie M.

Secondly, it should be obvious that, based on the type of University that Father Biondi has built during his tenure, and the direction that he would like to take it, teaming up with the likes of SW Mo. State, N. Iowa, and SIU-C wouls be a step in the wrong direction. The MVC has had a couple of good years- which is an aberration in its non-storied history, while the A-10 has had a couple of bad years and is definitely on the rise.

Thirdly, the administrations at Dayton and Xavier are not stupid either, and they have no intention of stepping down to the MVC.

Along with Western KY, SE Mo. State is a much better candidate for MVC inclusion.

>Thirdly, the administrations at Dayton and Xavier are not

>stupid either, and they have no intention of stepping down

>to the MVC.

>

>Along with Western KY, SE Mo. State is a much better

>candidate for MVC inclusion.

>

And you guys wonder why people think SLU fans are baselessly arrogant? Western Kentucky is a VASTLY superior program to SLU and Dayton and on roughly the same level with X. SEMO is not even in the same ballpark (although SLU is closer to being SEMO than Western Kentucky.)

Any move to the MVC would have to be the final move for SLU and it's obvious that you are still hoping to be the doormat for some Catholic league that will never exist.

Congrats on signing Majerus. I hope that his addition and the new arena will get SLU to the level some of your fans believe you have already attained.

>OK let's just say for arguments sake that Coach Majerus did

>discuss with Fr. Biondi his desire for SLU to leave the A10

>for the MVC...does anyone have an idea how long this process

>could take, and how much money SLU would have to cough up to

>extricate themselves from the A10???

>

>I'm still not certain it is a good idea, but who knows I

>guess it could happen. I might be able to warm up to the

>idea better if Xavier and Dayton decided to make the move

>with us.

I just don't see Majerus prefering the MVC over the A10. I think with Majerus being a national name, his recruiting sizzle would be served better in the A10 than the MVC. I know you want to build mostly with St. Louis kids, but there aren't that many most years and so does MU, Illinois, SIUC, MSU, etc. I would think a guy like Majerus might actually be able to pull in some name recruits from some of those eastern markets.

thanks for visiting and good luck with basketball-I don't know much about your program and would like to know if you are located near Ky lake or Paducah as I get down that way sometimes?

>>OK let's just say for arguments sake that Coach Majerus did

>>discuss with Fr. Biondi his desire for SLU to leave the A10

>>for the MVC...does anyone have an idea how long this process

>>could take, and how much money SLU would have to cough up to

>>extricate themselves from the A10???

>>

>>I'm still not certain it is a good idea, but who knows I

>>guess it could happen. I might be able to warm up to the

>>idea better if Xavier and Dayton decided to make the move

>>with us.

>

>I just don't see Majerus prefering the MVC over the A10. I

>think with Majerus being a national name, his recruiting

>sizzle would be served better in the A10 than the MVC. I

>know you want to build mostly with St. Louis kids, but there

>aren't that many most years and so does MU, Illinois, SIUC,

>MSU, etc. I would think a guy like Majerus might actually be

>able to pull in some name recruits from some of those

>eastern markets.

I will say this, I have heard Majerus say a number of times that you never want to be the school that defines the outer most edge of a conference. He was against MU joining the BE for exactly that reason. He pointed to a school like Penn State and how they have struggled in the Big Ten. However, in all the times I have heard him talk, I have never heard him say that SLU should be in the Valley over the A-10.

Ok Timmy, why don't we go to the facts. According to the rpi listed on kenpom's site. I am using from 99 to 2007 the last 9 years as that is what they have listed

Western Kentucky- Avg RPI(97) Worst(202) Best(26)

SLU Avg RPI(91) Worst(182) Best(33)

Over the last 5 years SLU has finished better 3 times W.Kent. twice.

I thought their coach was someone we wanted to consider, oops ... I was wrong. I'd prefer Brad

Vastly Superior ... Yea ok.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

> Ok Timmy, why don't we go to the facts. According to the

>rpi listed on kenpom's site. I am using from 99 to 2007 the

>last 9 years as that is what they have listed

>

> Western Kentucky- Avg RPI(97) Worst(202) Best(26)

> SLU Avg RPI(91) Worst(182) Best(33)

>

> Over the last 5 years SLU has finished better 3 times

>W.Kent. twice.

>

>I thought their coach was someone we wanted to consider,

>oops ... I was wrong. I'd prefer Brad

>

> Vastly Superior ... Yea ok.

Fair enough Skip. I was simply going by my recollection and not by stats. I stand corrected, Western Kentucky is not vastly superior to SLU.

The point I was making however is sustained by your numbers. Over the past 9 years, Western Kentucky and SLU are comparable - basically the same program - and yet a poster compared WKU to SEMO (FREAKING SEMO!) and said that programs of that nature belong in the Valley - and that SLU was above that level. This attitude has always been my problem with SLU fans - the perception that SLU is Marquette rather than Western Kentucky...

I am happy for your program and look forward to good things in the next few years under coach Majerus.

probably because of conference affliation. There is little doubt that SLU has been in better conferences the last 15 years. So the question would be is a good team in a lesser conference better than or equal to a middle of the road team in a higher conference. In this case it looks about equal. With SLU it is not where we've been, but where we aspire to be. For W.Kent there should be little doubt that joining the MVC would be a step up in conference affiliaion and probably a good move.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.