Link to article on Majerus NCAA violations

inthelou

I don't know why you are attacking me. He broke rules and they got put on probation. They weren't major or recruiting violations but they were violations. It's the truth. Why run from it? It's certainly not anything that would cause me to shy away from hiring the guy.

>I don't know why you are attacking me. He broke rules and

>they got put on probation. They weren't major or recruiting

>violations but they were violations. It's the truth. Why run

>from it? It's certainly not anything that would cause me to

>shy away from hiring the guy.

Non-issues. Yawn.

D1 hoops - the greatest show on earth.

They all center around food. With all the great, affordable restaurants in SL, never mind the Hill, it's only a matter of time before we go on probation. Whenever RM is stressed, he turns to food; when the stress includes a player, food becomes part of the equation. Nope, if we want to run a clean program, we need to steer very clear of a serial violater like RM. I bet Kim Tucci really presses this point with Biondo.

It would absolutely convince me not to hire him. There were many small violations. Violations involving recruits, practices that were too long, he says just for speeches a former player says it was normal for meetings and weight training. They got 3 years probation ... some of the things he thought were um... ok just make him look stupid. If this was a caoch at Mizzou, every one on this board would be all over it.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

> It would absolutely convince me not to hire him. There

>were many small violations. Violations involving recruits,

>practices that were too long, he says just for speeches a

>former player says it was normal for meetings and weight

>training. They got 3 years probation ... some of the things

>he thought were um... ok just make him look stupid. If this

>was a caoch at Mizzou, every one on this board would be all

>over it.

>

>

> Official Billikens.com sponsor of H

>Waldman

>

>Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would

>have helped club.

Non-issue. Next.

And I take every coach or issue individually regardless of their school affiliation. I've never bashed Mizzou on this board either, so maybe not quite "everyone."

clearly everyone is a figure of speech.

But they weren't non-issue's they got his school put on probation for 3 years along with his salary and His I think it said his AD's salaries frozen. They even had a scholarship taken away. 6 months later he was no longer the coach there. Funny how coaches usually seem to leave soon after they get a school put on probation. Most of his rebuttals made him look stupid. It looks to me like your opinion is clouded.

>"It looks to me like your opinion is clouded."

>

>Understatement of the year! I don't know if you knew this,

>but courtside has talked to RM a lot. :)

Could it be this courtside cat is Majerus's agent, or maybe personal chef looking for a raise? :)

We may disagree and it seems we do quite often, but I also believe if he says he knows him, he knows him. I can testify 1st hand that he has some in's in certain areas.

It looks to me like your

>opinion is clouded.

I actually was going to say the same thing about you Skip. You have been vehemently opposed to RM from the start.

First of all Utah self-reported to the NCAA. They were NOT investigated by the NCAA until then. 2nd of all, nowhere in that article does it mention the football team. The football team was part of the reason for the minor violations infractions from the NCAA. Ah details, who cares about details? Zero restrictions on post-season and zero restrictions on tv appearances.

"The report said Majerus told the NCAA he thought meals he bought for players at local restaurants were allowed because he lives in a hotel near the university. Coaches are allowed to host athletes for home meals. Coaches can now buy meals for players but must document each one."

One anonymous unidentified kid in 15 years said practices were too long in response to a predisposed question. One more unidentified anonymous player said they might have spent too much time in the weight/film room. Hmmm 10 other teammates from same team said no.

Give me a break. I was one of the first to say Brad always ran a clean program when the internet rumor mill eventually came to this board. If it were different, I'd say so, and I would say the same for Majerus.

>i've never doubted that, but the gratuitous name-dropping is

>silly.

There is nothing "gratuitous" or "name-dropping" about it. I only mention a few things here and there when they involve good reason, or have any reference to SLU or to a thread started by someone else which usually involves SLU. I would think something involving a candidate for coach of SLU Men's basketball might hold some small interest to the board.

It didn't say that 10 other teammates said no. Both kids said that practicing too long was normal. It was clear they felt it happened consistently. It was more than him just buying a couple of meals. These are facts. Due to the discrepencies which all seemed to involve RM not an asst o something he didn't know about, here is the schools penalties

1. Loss of a scolarship

2. 3 years probation

3. His salary frozen for 2 years

4. The AD's salary frozen for 1 year.

There were many small violations. It also said that other administrators lost their jobs and/or resigned. It is also fac that 6 months later he resigned and didn't even have to deal with the problems he created for the school.

You say you would say he didn't run a clean program if he didn't. Well he didn't. Have there been worse. Yes, much worse.

It seems to me that RM has a pretty big ego and as he got more successful he felt the rules didn't pertain to him. Some of his claims of things he didn't think would be violations are ludicrous. If he really did think they were ok ... I'm not sure he has the common sense to coach at SLU.

Anyone who hasn't read the link should. Especially Roy, who if he doesn't change his opinion after the stances he's made throughout the years ... I'll be shocked.

Phew. Glad you were here to post that because i had no clue as to what it meant. I'll try to use it in a sentence.

Your response to a poster over the weekend in another thread contained a gratuitous reference to the number of conversations you have had with Rick Majerus.

> It didn't say that 10 other teammates said no. Both kids

>said that practicing too long was normal. It was clear they

>felt it happened consistently. It was more than him just

>buying a couple of meals. These are facts. Due to the

>discrepencies which all seemed to involve RM not an asst o

>something he didn't know about, here is the schools

>penalties

>

>1. Loss of a scolarship

>2. 3 years probation

>3. His salary frozen for 2 years

>4. The AD's salary frozen for 1 year.

>

> There were many small violations. It also said that other

>administrators lost their jobs and/or resigned. It is also

>fac that 6 months later he resigned and didn't even have to

>deal with the problems he created for the school.

>

> You say you would say he didn't run a clean program if he

>didn't. Well he didn't. Have there been worse. Yes, much

>worse.

>

> It seems to me that RM has a pretty big ego and as he got

>more successful he felt the rules didn't pertain to him.

>Some of his claims of things he didn't think would be

>violations are ludicrous. If he really did think they were

>ok ... I'm not sure he has the common sense to coach at SLU.

>

> Anyone who hasn't read the link should. Especially Roy, who

>if he doesn't change his opinion after the stances he's made

>throughout the years ... I'll be shocked.

>

>

>

>Waldman

>

>have helped club.

Try reading up on the topic more than just reading one link.

Utah had self-imposed those things...not the NCAA.....not in the piece.... Three years probation sounds like a big deal to those who don't take the time to find out that it was combined football and basketball.....which wasn't included in the piece. Rick Pitino also took a leave of absence the same week as Majerus during that time for health reasons. It happens. He wasn't dodging anything. The implication is laughable. The AD publicly and privately supported Majerus as did University officials and desperately wanted him to stay. Hmmm none of that in that article either.

Every coach in major college basketball has a big ego. 100%. I have never in my time met one who doesn't.

How in the world do you make those conclusions based on reading one thing? Unbelievable jump to conclusions on your part.

From day one, you have been vehemently opposed to Majerus which is fine. But it's quite another leap you've made at this point.

Come on. They didn't self impose more than they thought the NCAA would give them. Every coach may have a big ego, but it doesn't always lead to them feeling they are to big for the rules. Do you honestly believe that RM thought all of that was ok. How would he, it should have been obvious to someone with even limited inteligence that it wasn't. I understand RM is a pretty smart guy, so I'm confused.

You are right, I wasn't happy with him being considered as a coach. I did say though that I could see the advantages and would support him even though he wouldn't be my first choice. At that time I thought his violation was for buying 1 kid a sandwich after a tragedy in his family. I'm sure you read that when it was posted. You knew that it wasn't correct, but didn't care to enlighten us with the facts. Probably because those facts were better left unsaid.

> Come on. They didn't self impose more than they thought the

>NCAA would give them. Every coach may have a big ego, but it

>doesn't always lead to them feeling they are to big for the

>rules. Do you honestly believe that RM thought all of that

>was ok. How would he, it should have been obvious to someone

>with even limited inteligence that it wasn't. I understand

>RM is a pretty smart guy, so I'm confused.

>

> You are right, I wasn't happy with him being considered as

>a coach. I did say though that I could see the advantages

>and would support him even though he wouldn't be my first

>choice. At that time I thought his violation was for buying

>1 kid a sandwich after a tragedy in his family. I'm sure you

>read that when it was posted. You knew that it wasn't

>correct, but didn't care to enlighten us with the facts.

>Probably because those facts were better left unsaid.

>

>

>

>

>Waldman

>

>have helped club.

Infractions committee chairman Tom Yeager said the violations were relatively minor and did not warrant more serious penalties.

"These were not five-course steak meals at the finest restaurant in town,'' Yeager said.

"This case may sound a lot worse when you actually hear all the details and all the nuances,'' he added.

University President Bernie Machen said at a news conference that the school accepts its punishment.

The NCAA accepted the university's self-imposed sanctions, including cutting one men's basketball scholarship for the 2004-05 and 2005-06 seasons, and added one scholarship penalty for 2006-07.

...and no...I don't read every post or every thread on the board. I believe my objectivity and/or board integrity speaks for itself, and that will probably be good enough ofr some and not others as is the case with most in life.