A comment from the KC Star on Don Imus

huzzah

I wouldn't think either. I don't automatically associate a black kid with thug or with scholar athlete. It's foolish to do either.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

Courtside I agree with a lot of what you posted on this topic, even thou I get the opinion we might come from different sides of the political spectrum. But, I disagree with you about the impact of the Stuart Scott comments. Stuart Scott his heard by far more people on a regular basis than Don Imus ever was. Between ABC, multiple ESPN TV networks, ESPN radio, ESPN the magazine, and the ESPN website Stuart Scott has a far greater reach and influence than Don Imus has ever had. Don Imus was well known inside the beltway and amongst the political and social elites. His influence never extended beyond that group.

This story started to get some national play right away? A few hours after Imus made his comments he was called out for them by Fox News host John Gibson on his radio show. The reason the story didn't stick and get wider play immediately was because Imus was and is friends with many liberal news people and politicans.

>Courtside I agree with a lot of what you posted on this

>topic, even thou I get the opinion we might come from

>different sides of the political spectrum. But, I disagree

>with you about the impact of the Stuart Scott comments.

>Stuart Scott his heard by far more people on a regular basis

>than Don Imus ever was. Between ABC, multiple ESPN TV

>networks, ESPN radio, ESPN the magazine, and the ESPN

>website Stuart Scott has a far greater reach and influence

>than Don Imus has ever had. Don Imus was well known inside

>the beltway and amongst the political and social elites.

>His influence never extended beyond that group.

Brian I haven't stated my political beliefs in this forum. I'd be willing to bet you wouldn't be able to guess what they are.

I disagree on Stuart Scott. He doesn't much wield power. He is one of a 100 or so players on a team. Imus has had his own show for 25 years.....has had anywhere from 60-90 radio stations across the country carrying his show at any given time. And for mnany years has had his own tv simulcast giving him a couple of million viewers a week. His revenues are $50 million annually. Sports Center does more than that annually, but does it with many many more people, and hasn't done it for nearly the same number of years. People watch Sportscenter for the highlights. Much of the time the sound is down, and many people wouldn't be able to name the names of the revolving door of anchors.

Fair enough on the suggestion I made when it came to your political tilt.

Imus, averaged under 500,000 unique viewers every week on MSNBC. It was basically the same 300,000 to 400,000 people watching daily. Imus was not even in the top 10 rated morning radio shows in his home base of NYC. What Imus did deliver was a very desirable demographic for advertisers. I do not believe that translates as overall influence on public opinion.

This is in comparison to Stuart Scott. Imus has also been doing this for 25 years....you left out the part where his ratings were in the top 10 in a 20 million market place as recently as a a year prior.

Imus routinely had high profile guests, ...high profile journalists, politicians etc....and wielded much more power and influence than Stuart Scott.

This involves an an incredibly complex set of issues. To assume that all whites would have the reaction that you suggest is to stereotype people unfairly. We have never met so I have no idea of what you look like but I deal with many young African Americans and I never have the reaction that you describe. However, I would agree that some people would be cautious depending on the appearance of the person, the place of the encounter and the time of day. You might be surprised to know that I personally would be more likely to react the way you describe if I were to encounter a white man who would appear to be biker or a skinhead type.

The one thing that is essential in this whole debate is that to recognize that any effort to try stereotype people because of their race or color is ridiculous and counterproductive. Keep working hard and keep an open mind and you will find there are a lot of good people out there who truly care about making things better.

I will say confidently that more people in America knew who Stuart Scott was than knew who Don Imus was before this incident. Stuart for the past few years has had one of the highest Q ratings for anyone involved in the sports broadcasting business.

Having high profile journalists and politicans does not make you influential on the population as a whole. It makes you influential in those circles. I already conceded earlier that Imus was influential in those circles.

His rankings have not been in the top 10 in NYC for the 12+ book for years. Certain demos yes. But overall his ratings have lagged for years. He drew and delivered results for advertisers to certain demographics.

>This involves an an incredibly complex set of issues. To

>assume that all whites would have the reaction that you

>suggest is to stereotype people unfairly. We have never met

>so I have no idea of what you look like but I deal with many

>young African Americans and I never have the reaction that

>you describe. However, I would agree that some people would

>be cautious depending on the appearance of the person, the

>place of the encounter and the time of day. You might be

>surprised to know that I personally would be more likely to

>react the way you describe if I were to encounter a white

>man who would appear to be biker or a skinhead type.

>

>The one thing that is essential in this whole debate is that

>to recognize that any effort to try stereotype people

>because of their race or color is ridiculous and

>counterproductive. Keep working hard and keep an open mind

>and you will find there are a lot of good people out there

>who truly care about making things better.

You just stereotyped "biker and skinhead" types.

To suggest to V that there aren't ignorant people out there wouldn't be accurate. Sure I and many here can say we'd walk down the street without noticing V either way regardless of his appearance, but we don't speak for everyone.

Now if V were actually Aisha Tyler, Janet Jackson, Paula Patton, Halle Berry, Gabrielle Union, etc....I might pay more attention. No offense V.

I have to agree with Courtside here. There is a huge group including my wife and most non-sport-obsessed women who wouldn't know Stuart Scott from Randolph Scott, but were aware of the Imus program. I couldn't pick Stuart Scott out of a lineup either.

I believe Imus had much deeper reach.

Among certain demographic groups, yes he does. The overall population, I would make a pretty good bet that he didn't. On the public overall both had very little influence. Neither of them come close to having the influence of an Oprah or even a Jon Stewart.

I would never suggest that there are not ignorant people out there. My point is that you cannot stereotype an entire race based upon the actions of a few. I do not consider bikers and skinheads a "race". As always, you go to the ridiculous to try to make a point.

Brian,

Are we seriously having this discussion?

Let me knoiw when Stuart Scott enters Time's 25 most influential American's list.....or Forbes top 100 most powerful celebrity list and so on.....

40 years Brian. I know you are a young dude Brian...but c'mon you are better than this.

I don't like Imus but you seriously compared him to Stuart Scott? Wow.

Who do you think has the education and the money to be influenced? Imus' listeners over a 40 year period.

The dude makes $10 million a year for a reason.

Maybe we are just looking at it two different ways. When it comes to the media, political, business, and socail elites Imus has a much larger influence. Thus his influece is then multiplied many times further down stream. When it comes to eyes and ears alone Scott reaches many more people than Imus. But, I will concede that Imus has a far larger influence than Scott on the total public debate. Imus has for decades had influence over what the public debate is due to the fact that so many opinion shapers listened to his show.

Courtside sometimes I just like to have a good debate on here. Everything I post isn't always exactly what I believe.

>This involves an an incredibly complex set of issues. To

>assume that all whites would have the reaction that you

>suggest is to stereotype people unfairly. We have never met

>so I have no idea of what you look like but I deal with many

>young African Americans and I never have the reaction that

>you describe. However, I would agree that some people would

>be cautious depending on the appearance of the person, the

>place of the encounter and the time of day. You might be

>surprised to know that I personally would be more likely to

>react the way you describe if I were to encounter a white

>man who would appear to be biker or a skinhead type.

>

>The one thing that is essential in this whole debate is that

>to recognize that any effort to try stereotype people

>because of their race or color is ridiculous and

>counterproductive. Keep working hard and keep an open mind

>and you will find there are a lot of good people out there

>who truly care about making things better.

I didnt say all white people. I didnt even say white people. I said people in general. I get those kinds of looks a lot of times from older black people. There is a HUGE generational gap, and there are SOME milddle age to elderly blacks that are scared of and hate black youths.

I read he hits 3.5 million individuals on 70+ radio stations.

The reason he is influential is that his show is on that all important in radio broadcasting world morning drive in to work period. Most of his listeners are older white (40-60) professional males driving into work from affluent suburbs to major city office towers.

I recall when I was teenager (mid to late 60's) he was a DJ on WABC. It was a top 40 AM rock station that covered NYC metro area.