The latest on Griskenas

SLUDrew

This appeared in a Southeast Missouri newspaper yesterday:

"Griskenas Watch

* Griskenas visited Saint Louis this past weekend but said he is no closer to deciding on a school now than he was before he went.

He has received scholarship offers from Saint Louis, Idaho State, Arkansas State, Western Kentucky, Nevada-Reno, Evansville, Illinois State, Dayton and East Carolina.

His final chance to showcase his abilities will be at the NJCAA Basketball Coaches All-Star game in Kilgore, Texas, on April 21. Griskenas can also win the "Gene Bess" Award, which is given to the MVP of that game."

Not exactly a who's who recruiting him, and maybe some of that has to do with the knee injury he suffered his freshmen year.

He was named first team JUCO All-American and his Region's player of the year. He and Eberhardt would be an ideal wrap-up to this class.

Kind of interesting in that W Kent is also a finalist for Pettigrew and Dayton is one of few mentioned with SLU as going after Eberhardt. Ill St and their new head coach hasn't gotten an assistant hired yet, so they are probably really scrambling at this point. Evansville needs size for next year, MG could probably get minutes there right away. It would be nice to know what other schools he is visiting. From the sounds of the 4/21 game, he probably won't be deciding until into May.

MG has already done a year of prep school and had signed with Northeastern out of prep. I don't think he made it on campus though, but not sure. It has been 3 years since then so I would guess he used a red-shirt year somewhere as well.

Some may view this as a kid just being prudent, but I view it as a kid who was just not all that crazy about SLU. Its not like he has visits to Duke, Kentucky and UCLA on the horizon. Along with Dayton, we appear the be the "biggest" program recruiting him. I think if he was very impressed he would have verballed after his visit.

We've got all the minutes he could want - I agree, I think he's probably pretty *************** about SLU, and probably Missouri. I hope that's not the case though, as St. Louis has a lot more to offer than he probably thinks.

You say: Evansville needs size for next year, MG could probably get minutes there right away.

Um, hello. WE NEED SIZE RIGHT AWAY. SCREW EVANSVILLE, MAN!!! What the hell??!? Bryce Husak is NOT...IS NOT the answer inside!!!!!! Wake up. GET THIS KID TO SIGN NOW!!!!!!!!

I'd take anyone over Bryce Husak!

If Nevada is recruiting him then they have done pretty well lately so I would be concerned about them more than Dayton. I took the kid's comments as that he visited SLU and wants to visit the others to make sure he knows all his options. Fair enough - you would do the same thing. A kid who makes his mind up at the first place he goes shows a lack of maturity. Having been his first visit all the others will be measured against it.

I would definitely not consider Mantas a "big". He is firmly a small forward in my book. He does get a lot of rebounds (when he decides to) because of anticipation and quickness...

Mantas has good ball skills and a nice stroke from the outside. He can tend to get VERY passive at times, choosing to simply roam around the perimter, not looking to get involved. He's a bit of an enigma, because he can certainly get a LOT done when he puts his mind to it...

Yeah, but a comment like, "It was cool, I liked the coach, the staff, the players, the new arena sounds great, but I'm gonna explore all my options", would have been a little more encouraging than "I'm no closer than I was before I visited." I'm starting to hear that familiar flushing sound of another recruit heading elsewhere.

His use of the words " I am no closer..." may not mean anything. If he says I really the coach then when he goes some place else and doesn't say I really liked the coach then people at that place will be upset. It could simply be that the Juco coach who is somewhat controlling in the recruiting process - not a knock just his style of trying to help his kids - probably tells them to me non-committal in public until they make up their minds. I am not saying he is coming to SLU just that there is no need to read anymore into it then it is.

I think it is extremely unfair and short-sighted to state that kids who decide on a school after they take one visit are somehow "immature." Sometimes you fall in love with a place and know it is the right place for you. Some coaches have the ability to have that kind of impact on a kid. Some coaches don't

Box - good point. I thought the same thing but simply did not post it.

Drew - I do think that anytime an impulsive decision is made it probably is a sign of immaturity or at least poor decision making skills. You can fall in love with a place but that does not mean you don't check out your other options just to confirm your feelings. Now if the coach tells you decide now or forget it - you then have a tough decision. My thought would be that any coach that would try to pressure me that way probably is not someone I would want to be with.