MU may be after Femi John now

it confuses me that you all are glad to hear that nate beleives we should have recruited missouri state and austin peay backups and 327th team recruits.

that is what incites me. nate wants us to take all the local leftovers. i have higher aspirations than that and would rather not tie up scholarships for four years as nate seems to insinuate is the best we can do.

with the posts i have read, it seems to me nate has a different agenda than hopes to see slu get better.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

has john accepted anything 11 months in advance?

not even close to the same scenario. slu makes a third party offer. as the player should, john is waiting for the day that slu can initiate a contact and discuss in detail.

somehow siu made the same third party offer and not only did roundtree blindly accept, he accepted even though he would rather have went to slu.

you dont see the difference?

with the posts i have read, it seems to me nate has a different agenda than hopes to see slu get better. - i cannot disagree more, simply because he challenges what the program has done does not mean he is against it

for me, nate brings knowledge we get no where else about what is happening and i hope he continues

are you really saying no player on a team below slu in the rpi could help slu?

challenge is one thing. but then saying we should have signed backups and such from much lesser teams and continuing to bring up the incorrect opinions that come out as facts from a respected reporter like roundtree wanted to come to slu and stemler wanted to come to slu etc makes me believe he has an agenda. especially when he only visits here and he only posts negatively as of late. you know their is positive stuff happening that he didnt bother to talk about that. did he?

just because he is a reporter and has those contacts doesnt mean he is necessarily presenting the full picture. and maybe he is as well. i admit he has far more contacts than i do. however, that doesnt mean he should be taken as gospel. o'rear is a great example. i guarantee you lucas o'rear will have a nice career at northern iowa.

Kids are telling that to him. They are telling it to other people. There is an effort out there by some people in the AAU scene to bring down Soderberg. It started after Ahearn and it has only grown. These people are in the kids ear bad mouthing the program and telling them that SLU doesn't want them. Nate is not a part of this and is only repeating what people tell him.

Is beckoning and that is when I hope to see some positive signs that this team is recruiting athletes who can not only make us a better team next season, but get us back into the Big Dance. The clock is ticking.

roy the only thing any of us can guarantee is one day we will die

you are projecting what you think o'rear will do, that is great, hope the kid has success if he is a good kid, but you don't know it today, that evaluation will come when his uni career is over

i don't visit other boards unless someone links something on this board to another, does that make me negative or unworthy or whatever you are after with that?

i agree that everything posted needs to be looked at from an is this or could this be true perspective, but nate has not posted stuff previously that he stated as fact that i have seen be wrong, very much unlike some others on here

please tell me the positive things happening recruiting wise right now, i could use it

slu72 said,

"get verbals from Roundtree and Booker, and Brad got "sorry we're not home now" from Femi John"

first off, i commend john waiting until at least summer to commit. for those three to have gotten offers, it would require either them approaching slu/siu or slu/siu using a third party, i.e. a high school coach or administrator or an aau coach to make the offer for them.

i see nothing wrong with john acknowledging he has an offer from slu, but as the biggest decision of his young life at this point, why wouldnt he wait until slu can honestly initiate contact and discuss options and his future? why wouldnt he wait until august to have an official visit and have the opportunity to be shown the campus with all the bells and whistles? that makes sense to me.

what doesnt make sense to me is roundtree blindly accepting a third party offer or if roundtree did initiate the contact at siu which is perfectly legit, than why would he say he would rather go to slu? why wouldnt he too wait until true senior recruiting can begin and see where it takes him? instead one of the best athletes in his class in the st louis area takes the first offer that comes along 11 months early? that makes no sense.

cowboy, i think both relephorde and mitchell seem to be nice pickups.

we have the list that blue posted that is significant action of players still out there.

come june we have only signed relephorde and mitchell, let the attacks commence.

>what doesnt make sense to me is roundtree blindly accepting

>a third party offer or if roundtree did initiate the contact

>at siu which is perfectly legit, than why would he say he

>would rather go to slu? why wouldnt he too wait until true

>senior recruiting can begin and see where it takes him?

>instead one of the best athletes in his class in the st

>louis area takes the first offer that comes along 11 months

>early? that makes no sense.

Roy,

A kid likes a coach and a school that is ranked in the top 15 and has been to the NCAA tournament for X consecutive years and he commits to play for that school.

How is this so hard to understand?

Chris Lowery has done a great job in Carbondale getting recruits excited about his program. He may even get a commitment from one of the top sophomores in the St. Louis area soon.

- Nate

>Kids are telling that to him. They are telling it to other

>people.

You are right about this.

>There is an effort out there by some people in the

>AAU scene to bring down Soderberg. It started after Ahearn

>and it has only grown. These people are in the kids ear bad

>mouthing the program and telling them that SLU doesn't want

>them.

You are wrong about this.

The AAU people I know want to see SLU succeed. They TOLD Soderberg that Torres Roundtree wanted to go to SLU and would commit there is Soderberg offered him.

Yes, the Ahearn thing was a mistake. So was not recruiting a lot of other players that were interested in going to SLU.

>Nate is not a part of this and is only repeating what people tell him.

I'm not hearing people encourage kids not to go to SLU. I'm hearing kids tell me they want to go to SLU but SLU didn't want them.

- Nate

nate said, "A kid likes a coach and a school that is ranked in the top 15 and has been to the NCAA tournament for X consecutive years and he commits to play for that school.

How is this so hard to understand?"

if indeed makes sense if that is where he wanted to go. but then dont tell me he was dying to go to slu. that is what doesnt make sense. if he wanted to go to slu why run so early?

roy how is mitchell different than harrelson from a who else was after him perspective?

i too was enthused by stlblue's list, the key, of course, is getting them to come to slu

i don't want 4 signings, i want 4 players that can help (and i will add 4 players that ub will allow to help)

yet we have 3 out of the four kids on the the all metro team of 2004.

we heard the desmet coach tell us on kfns that five of the now sophomore and juniors unofficially visited slu together last summer and had the "you can be the difference" speech from coach soderberg.

i think if anyone is saying that, they are really saying that the lesser kids are saying that slu doesnt want them.

but as mitchell proves, if the now lesser underclassmen progress and become worthy of an offer, they will get an offer.

but it is hard to believe that slu doesnt want the local kids.

>cowboy, i think both relephorde and mitchell seem to be nice

>pickups.

>

>we have the list that blue posted that is significant action

>of players still out there.

Cowboy asks you about the positive news regarding SLU recruiting, and this is the best you can come up with?

That must be my fault.

Last I heard SLU was only after two or three recruits. So how does that list grow to 20-something? Maybe because it's not accurate.

I said before I liked the Mitchell commitment. I also like the Relphorde commitment. If he's as good as people say, he should be able to step in right away and contribute. Based on what I've seen from Mitchell, I don't think he'll contribute much early.

So where is all this other positive news I'm supposed to be posting about?

You complain that I'm not posting positive things, and you yourself can't come up with anything when asked about it.

If I had positive news to report, I would.

I reported that Josh McCoy said SLU was recruiting him, but they haven't offered him a scholarship.

I reported that Femi John, when I asked him about his recruitment, said he would wait a while to weigh all of his options.

Sorry that's not what you want to hear.

- Nate

mitchell didnt get an offer and accept in the fall did he? had harrelson waited he probably gets that offer and more. instead he grabs the first offer from a bottom of the barrel program. that is the difference. he should have waited.

SLU does want the local kids. I know the DeSmet coach said that and he isn't discouraging anybody from going to SLU. It is all happening on the AAU level. The AAU recruiting can be a dirty game to play with a bunch of people with their hands out and looking for jobs. All it takes is one pissed off guy to start it. Look at the local kids we have got. A lot of them were not involved in the local AAU ##### because the didn't play AAU, they left town, or they were under Floyd's tightfisted control in the Gameface program. A lot of our problems come when we go after kids in certain AAU programs. I don't think it is a fluke.

Are academics a question on Roundtree? I don't want to get this wrong on a kid, but was it Roundtree that missed time on varsity because of academics or I remembering wrong. I do know it has been said repeatedly on this board about John's very good academic record. I am just guessing that SLU/Brad might not make early offers to kids unless they have that good academic record. Please though correct me if I am wrong in how I am remembering things.

who was after harrelson and who was after mitchell?

actually, you make my point for me, harrleson signs as a jr and mitchell couldn't

now let's not confuse with me hoping bad on mitchell, quite frankly i hope he turns into cory brewer and leads us to the final 4

the kid committed early and that is a mistake yet we have kids that commit early to slu and that is not a mistake for them?

>Look at the local kids we have got. A lot of them were not involved in the local AAU #####

>because the didn't play AAU, they left town, or they were under Floyd's tightfisted control in >the Gameface program. A lot of our problems come when we go after kids in certain

>AAU programs. I don't think it is a fluke.

Tommie Liddell - St. Louis Eagles

Kevin Lisch - ?????????? (some Eagles affiliation)

Luke Meyer - Gateway Basketball Club

Dwayne Polk - Gameface

Looks to me like you've got all the major St. Louis area clubs there.

I think you're wrong on this, Brian.

The St. Louis Eagles wanted Kramer Soderberg to play for them. He chose not to.

- Nate