Can we please stop the debate about Brad?

brianstl

Look I don't think the past 12 months have been a good 12 months for Brad. In fact if I had to give him a letter grade for the past 12 months I would give him only a D+. That said I don't think he should be fired and lets face it he isn't going anywhere for the next year at least.

All this continued discussion on this topic is doing nothing to help the program and in fact it is probably hurting the program. It has already been brought up that other staffs are telling recruits that Brad is in trouble. If I was competing against SLU for a recruit I would make sure I gave them the address to this site. This continued debate is only hurting the program at this point.

While true Billiken fans that only want the best for the program make many of the comments on this topic, but many are posted by others. People are posting on this topic that have their own agenda. We have AAU coaches, high school coaches, friends of passed over recruits, family members of passed over recruits, wannabe street agents, fans of other programs, people trying to say they were right about Brad from the start, and people who just want to stir up ##### posting on this topic. What is in these folks' best interest is not the same as what is the Billikens best interest and often their best interest directly conflict with what is in SLU best interest.

This topic is being used against SLU in recruiting battles and I am afraid this board is being used against the program too.

I will longer post on this topic or respond to any post on this topic at least till the end of the fall recruiting period. I would encourage every other fan that wants the best for the program to do the same. After that lay in to Brad all you want. By then we should all be able to agree on where the program is headed. Till then I think all this discussion is just hurting the program.

OK, I will really try. Besides you're right it's fruitless. He's here at least through next year. Let me just add, no one on here wanted to be an anti Brad guy. It's the lack of results, recruits, and excitement that created this situation, which I'm sure is frustrating all who care about billiken basketball. To any recruits, come to SLU. You'll get a top notch education, you'll play before adoring fans, and you'll play in a state of the art arena. You'll be better for the experience.

thats is nonsense...what, every other school in the nation that didnt make postseason doesnt have a message board that is talking about what they think about the coach the players the recruits??? slu is the only program that has a message board that is talking about the coach....and the programmm??? if a recruit doesnt come because a message board then guess what dont come in my opinion...this board is not hurting recruiting that is just another excuse that you people are using....

so why dont u call stltoday and tell them not to write anything bad about the coach or the program...

>thats is nonsense...what, every other school in the nation

>that didnt make postseason doesnt have a message board that

>is talking about what they think about the coach the players

>the recruits??? slu is the only program that has a message

>board that is talking about the coach....and the

>programmm??? if a recruit doesnt come because a message

>board then guess what dont come in my opinion...this board

>is not hurting recruiting that is just another excuse that

>you people are using....

>

>so why dont u call stltoday and tell them not to write

>anything bad about the coach or the program...

Quality post.

that this board can hurt the program. Believe me, every program has a board where the coach is under constant scrutiny. What goes on here is mild compared to Kentucky, Tennessee, UCLA, Illinois, whereever. Brad just needs to be a big boy and get the job done. He can do it, but what goes on on a fan board has ZERO to do with it.

It has all ready been brought up on this board that Brad having only two years remaining on his contract has been used by other teams. You don't think any other programs are going to state that look the guy recruiting you is going to get the ax and if you don't belive me just check out Billikens.com to see that the teams most die hard fans want him gone? I garuntee it is happening and it is making it tougher to get recruits to commit.

This is easily one the tamest college sports internet message boards in the country.

Coaches already know that Brad has not been extended. Coaches are already using it against him and SLU. Discussing it on a message board is not going to affect that either way. Coaches don't need this message board to discuss that with recruits.

This message board is not making it easier nor tougher for recruits to commit to SLU. Just as with other much more colorful boards out there for other teams.

People can and should discuss any topic they like. The season just recently ended. The coach's abilities or inabilities are fair topics of converstaion. I can understand disdain for trolls after losses, or Metz etc...but if people want to rationally discuss the coach and where he stands, I see no problem with that topic of converstation.

He is not going anywhere. We know where everybody stands on this board when it comes to him. All of this drivel on the topic serves no good either way. There is no use to talk about it anymore till after the fall signing period.

It only adds to the ammo an oppossing coach can use against SLU. If the opposing staffs are not feeding the recruits this address and telling them to check it out and see what even the most die hard fans want, then I do not think they are doing their job.

I agree with courtside et al., this board doesn't do nearly the harm you guys think. Good god. I'm sure the recruiting is much more slimey than a simple, "hey, look at what their fans are saying." you think kelvin "slimeball" sampson's main weapon was this board??? HA!

Not going to the NCAA tourney for 5 straight years harms our recruiting more.

As I have said before, if recruits used message boards as their reasons to choose or not to choose a school, recruits wouldn't attend any schools and there would be no more D-1 college basketball. Brian must not have checked out the losing school's forums of schools who actually got into the NCAA's and lost in the first or second rounds.

Makes this place look like a cuddly love-fest.

I just did a check on the UD and Charlotte sites. Two teams in our conference that did not make the NCAA and would be considered to have disappointing season by their fans. On the first page of posted topics on both sites there was zero topics posted about or related to getting rid of the coach, how bad the coach sucks, or about how recruits have better options than their school. On the first page of this site there are 10 such topics.

You guys are right this site is a cake walk. This site has lost its mind and it is now hurting the program.

brianstl please stop...those 2 schools made it to the tourney more then slu has in the past 5 years wouldnt u say, or some kind of postseason....everyone knows that teams have a down year every once in awhile...but to not make the postseason in 5 years, that would hurt more then a simple message board...i support brad and hope that he does get that job done at slu dont get me wrong, but there are many schools that have message boards that dont agree with whats going on with the coaches recruits, game planning, scheduling etc...so please try not to blame this board for losing recruits or maybe losing them thats crazy

I agreed because to stop bashing Brad, at least until the spring signing period is over, because I know it's fruitless. Go to www.firetubby.com if you want a real over the top example of upset fans. All this love for a coach who bought them a national championship not too long ago. And you're pleading with people to stop attacking a guy whose done absolutely nothing in five years, and doesn't seem to be in a hurry to get it turned around. C'mon, Brian, this isn't the fault of disappointed fans...it's the fault of a disappointing coach.

There is nothing left to be said about the topic. It has all been said and nothing is going to change for at least a year. It has become a major distraction form the site. This is not a fire the coach site if you want one of those coach start one. If you don't think this site is being brought up by oppossing coaches on the recruiting trail, you are a fool. I am not saying this site is going to be the big factor in if we land someone or not, it isn't. But it adds to all the other negatives out there.

Do you have any idea the kind of negative recruiting that goes on? Teams will use anything that they can to get an advantage. Anything that would suggest that the coach might not be there for a players full four years is normally #1 thing used.

isnt it far to stay that a smart recruit would understand that a coach can leave after he has a great few seasons at a school like slu or can leave after a few bad seasons? so brian stop please....we understnad what u are trying to say but guess what negative recruit happens to every school not just slu....it happens among duke, unc, uconn, texas, ect ect....and it happens at the slu level as well among, dayton, uncc, st joe's, siuc, sms...

courtside said,

"The coach's abilities or inabilities are fair topics of converstaion. I can understand disdain for trolls after losses, or Metz etc...but if people want to rationally discuss the coach and where he stands, I see no problem with that topic of converstation."

key word is rationally.

i think brian's point is it is a contribution to the overall effect of developing the impression of slu for anyone. i totally agree with brian.

friend, charlotte might be one of the most underachieving teams in the country with what they accomplished (or didnt) this past season. couple that with the fact that lutz let the top recruit in the country slip through his hands to huggy, there is no way their fans should be content.

brian is right