VCU's coach Anthony Grant

CAG

from vcu.edu . . .

4-18-06 Virginia Commonwealth University named Anthony Grant its new men's basketball coach on Tuesday, making him the ninth coach in the program's history. Grant, a native of Miami, Florida, recently finished his 10th year at the University of Florida and his 12th year overall as a top assistant under veteran coach Billy Donovan, more than a decade of work culminating in the Gator’s first national title in basketball.

Again, why can't we hire a top assistant? VCU did it and it leads them to 28 wins and a first round "historic" victory over Duke. Please don't come at me and say he wouldn't have done it in the powerful A10.

CAG

And people think Brad's teams play intense defense? That was a clinic on that subject.

Let's say that Grant get's hired by a BCS school this year or next year. Do you think for one second the fans and players at VCU would trade this magical season for the sake of "continuity?" Take a poll and say, you could either go 18-14 or so every year with one Coach or take another Coach and beat Duke in an NCAA tourney game but you will lose your Coach after that season and may have a couple years of rebuilding. I wouldn't hesitate with my answer.

What do you say "status quo" squad?

Just doing a quick search of some teams here are some top assistants.

Joe Holliday - 14 seasons on Roy Williams staff. Familiar with the Midwest. Graduate of OU. High school coach in Oklahoma for 13 years and 8 years as the high schools AD.

http://tarheelblue.cstv.com/sports/m-baskb...aday_joe00.html

Kevin Willard - Quote from Pitino "Kevin reminds me a lot of a young Billy Donovan (Florida's head coach)," said Pitino. "He was with me at the Celtics for the four years as a chief scout and has had a major job in working with professional athletes."

http://uoflsports.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl...rd_kevin00.html

Brett Gunning - Quote from Jay Wright "Brett Gunning has emerged as one of the top assistant coaches in the country," said Jay Wright. "He has been the foundation of our staff at Hofstra University and here at Villanova. Brett brings great knowledge, leadership and experience to the position of associate head coach."

http://villanova.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/...ng_brett00.html

This was just a quick internet search I'm sure there are many more out there.

If we wanted to try and get an up and coming ocach from a smaller school they are out there as well.

The head coach at Marist might be worth keeping an eye on if Brad doesn't work out next year. He was a long time assistant at St. Joseph's so he is familiar with the A10 and knows what it takes to succeed in this conference and he has done a very good job so far as a head coach at Marist.

http://goredfoxes.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl...ady_matt01.html

If it comes time to get rid of Brad we will have options.

clinic? do you mean the length of the court duke drive that tied the game or the constant drives to the basket by a typically non driving paulus for his career high in points? glad to see vcu held them to under 80.

the real truth is that duke is tremendously overated and shouldnt have been a 6 seed. likely shouldnt have been in the tourney.

Give the guy credit, Broy, he just beat the Evil Empire of college hoops. He slayed Goliath. A question for you, how many McD all americans does VCU have on it's roster? By the way, I'd take KL and TL over Duke's guards, even though Paulus played a gutsy game last night.

i said the same about lisch and liddell last week and got roasted for it.

this is the most overated duke team in 30 years. a six seed is a joke.

a little of both. Duke was overrated, but it wasnt bad defense by VCU. They did what they were supposed to do. They let a player who isnt used to being the go-to-guy take the shots and not be the distributor he usually is. This kept them at arms length with Duke and helped them pull out the victory. Excellent strategy, but Paulus stood strong and almost pulled it off. Good effort, better strategy.

duke is tremendously overated and

>shouldnt have been a 6 seed. likely shouldnt have been in

>the tourney.

You are correct on one, and extremely wrong on the other imo.

Duke should never have been a 6 seed. But as I say all the time, the NCAA is not about seeding, it is about matchups.

Duke had a 16 RPI, #3 stregth of schedule with wins over Air Force, Davidson, Indiana, Georgetown, Boston College(2) Clemson(2) Georgia Tech, among others.

"Duke probably shouldn't have been in the tourney." Now that is funny.