VCU Victory

CAG

Did you see VCU knock off DUKE. That was a great finish. I believe this was the first year for VCU's coach. Great start to go 28-6 with a first round W over all mighty DUKE in the NCAA Tourney. How was that type of a season even possible with a first year coach? Most of you deemed it impossible.

OHHHH wait, I know. I bet he has a huge recruiting budget and that their administration really loves basketball.

CAG

Surely VCU has a recruiting/athletic budget in the top 32 in D1, right Roy? Remember Roy, you pay for what you get. (can someone please look it up...I guarantee it's not close to 32)

Another reason why you are all foolish to believe a first year coach wouldn't make an instant impact.

ARE you FREAKING joking? did you think before you just posted? What would the new coach be inheriting? HMMMM....Two more years of Liddell and Lisch.....4 of this year's starting 5. ARe you saying these guys are d-2? quite possibly one of the dumbest posts ever on this board. even you kool-aid drinkers can agree with me on this one. Just last week, Roy and others said Lisch could start on almost every team in d-1. now you are saying these guys are d-2 caliber? A new coach would INSTANTLY make an impact.

Poll ... How many different ways can we disguise a fire Brad thread.

I say 5,713 ... 3 more and I've got it on the button.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

Wouldn't you think it just might depend on which 1st year coach. I bet if you took the record of all 1st year coaches, most of them don't "make an impact" ... speaking of foolish.

It would not surprise me to see Anthony Grant, VCU's new HC build on this year with his own players. He was an Asst. Coach under Billy Donovan at Florida last year, and he obviously did a nice job with Capel's recruits. I think he has a good reputation as a recruiter as the last time I checked the Gators were still defending National Champs.

Yeah, we wouldn't want a bright young assistant, who can recruit, with roots in an NCAA championship team. Wait a minute, we had one, didn't we? Where'd he go? Truthfully, there are good coaches out there just chomping at the bit for their chance. You will read about them every year for the rest of your life. We just weren't lucky enough to land one when Zo left.

sLUSER, i have said there will always be peaks and valleys and instances of catching lightning in a bottle. or are you saying that vcu will be a permanent fixture in future sweet 16's and top 25 rankings?

they won their conference tourney, and got lucky with matchup against the most overated duke team in 30 years. good for them. good luck switching your fan alligiance to VCU.

so why would we find the right perfect asst this time that would succeed at slu long term? everyone seems to think it is a given. why?

no what is unfair is crowning the guy king after one game. of course he did a good job, but it was just as much being in the right place at the right time as anything.

folks are saying that we should find a coach like this guy. and while he might turn out to be great, this game isnt indicative of what is to come. it is more indicative of duke not being as good as we have all come to expect from duke.

The point I was trying to make is that a first year coach can make an INSTANT impact.....and with SLU's case, it could be quite easy cause we have two very good players.

Also, I was BROY to get off the budget excuse. It is so lame. For every team that fails with a high budget, there are teams that succeed with a tight budget. the comment you made "You pay for what you get" doesn't exactly hold true.

give me the list of schools that dont have a top 50 budget that have an average rpi in the top 50 for the last 9 years.

I am sure everyone remembers Stan Heath at his one year of Kent State, I think they made the sweet sixteen that year. He turned that into the Arkansas job, where he may have saved his job by making the NCAA this year, maybe not. Overall from what it sounds like though many Arkansas fans are not really happy with him. One year does not make long term success.

So, SLU does have D-2 caliber players on their roster? I would be interested in seeing how many you think belong in D-2. I know some should but for the sake of being harsh, I won't list them here. Or is their maturation process being slowed by other factors - coaching, weak drills, practice, offensive planning, lack of competitive players around them, etc. I am just asking the question. Some players do come in with limited skills and then become stars or well rounded players for their school. I guess many factors can contribute to this and am just wondering what everyone else thinks. What makes a player improve from a potential bust to a solid athlete. IMO, we need that to happen at SLU for some of the players.

A prime example that I can think of off the top of my head is Russell Carter from Nortre Dame. This man basically sat on the bench for three years (was going to transfer) and then is probably the second or third best player in the Big East. Nice accomplishment!!

I think that is the point of the post. You do need to bring in a coach who will do this and it is up to the administration to make that effort. Plain and simple. They need to spot talent just like a coach needs to and bring it in. Another example of coaches improving teams is Bobby Cremins at the College of Charleston. They almost won their conference tournament under their first year head coach. He surely did not bring in many recruits, if at all, and takes his team to the finals of the Southern Conference tournament. Not too bad for a first year coach with none of "his" players.

Now was that move foolish?

I've been asking for and waiting for that list for awhile, with that said there will be few schools with better facilities than us, so we have some positives and some negatives. SLU just handed Brad a huge tool and he needs to step up.

i agree with billikenbilly. beyond lisch and liddell, who we know are great players, we have luke meyer who is solid, but out of position. we then have a bunch of role players. calling them d-2 may be harsh, however, i can't think of any decent programs which would have husak, brown, polk, or knollmeyer playing significant minues. do you really think a new coach could take next year's lineup, as it stands, to the tourney. i don't. now if someone brought it 2 big men then its possible. this late in the process, we are likely not going to find a coach who can bring anything significant with him